Thread: Transfusion

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99

Transfusion

For those of you who avoid the main Discussion board like a plague, There was a suggestion made by Jager regarding the following.

Quote Originally Posted by JagerForrester View Post
    You know this dual-element talk in some of the threads is making me want to request a Transfusion Mage, a magician that can combine two spells to form a more devastating spell.
    (Click on the little arrow if you wish to see the full thread).

My concept was stolen from his idea, so have a read of the original thread because it has some pretty nice ideas in there.

My evolution from his original concept was not to design a new job - but more to make a SCH meritable group 3 (or a lvl 99) Job Ability.

Transfusion would be a regular Job Ability in the regular menu, in which allows you to infuse the next 2x spells you cast into a more powerful spell. I am however not forgetting BLM's here, the "infused" spell should not out-damage a BLM nuke, however should be more like a potent enfeeble tied with a damaging spell.

This would in a way sort of work out like a normal WS Skillchain.

For example:-

Alderin uses Transfusion.
    Alderin casts Diaga on Rani.
    Alderin casts Bio on Rani.
    Transfusion: Demi! Rani takes 1200 HP.
    Rani gains the effect of Gravity.

(Obviously thats just a reasonably lame example)

Now why won't this destroy BLM and RDM's ability to nuke / enfeeble?

The damage caused by the transfusion would be a reasonable amount, but much less then what a BLM can nuke for.

The enfeeble would either be a less potent-longer lasting, orrrr a more potent-shorter duration then the raw spell itself.

After writting this, just considered the possibility that this idea could potentially not be a Job Ability for SCH, but a more of a "Skillchain" system for all mage classes - because let's face it, apart from Magic Burst - mage jobs miss out on the lack of "combo bonus".

So a BLM casts
    Gravity > Drain = Demi (A damaging spell, which has an added effect of gravity)
    Fire IV > Burn = Heat (Overheat.. A spike effect that damages the enemy if they use a WS/TP/Cast)

RDM might do something like
    Paralyze II > Blizzaga IV = Frozen (A terror effect that freezes the enemy but also gives the enemy a temporary Ice Spikes til it wears - so melee can't hit it)

Could come up with some crazy combinations but in short - if it was based off the simple Skillchain system that weapon skills are already based off - so Element + Element = Skillchain.

If this however were to stay as a SCH group 3 merit, I believe that BLM being as powerful as it is now, and RDM being as enfeeble crazy as it already is - SCH could get a buffer like this without damaging the 2x original jobs.

Just food for thought, and would give the mages something to play with.

(Keep in mind the only mage job I have levelled is RDM, so this was more a manefest of ideas)
    (0)

Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    by very definition the concept is offf..... transfusion is the transference of something to another. what your thinking of is fusion magic. yes fusing two spells into one bad ass spell would be cool and awesome, but SE would doubtful do it, as theres so much work involved... new spell animations, new mechanics... ect ect... a much more effective route: Making t2 Helicies, and having them carry enfeebles on them.
    (0)

Character
    Jager
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 90
    Well that's my fault. I was looking for synonyms for the word "combine" and felt transfuse was catchy without actually looking at the actual definition of the word.
    (0)
    "I find bliss in ignorance. Less I hear the less you'll say. But you'll find that out anyway."
    - Linkin Park (Dedicated to all the trolls and flamers out there)

Character
    Alderin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Yeah blame him ^^^
    (0)

Character
    Saefinn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    With mages having their own version of skillchains, Scholar can already participate with Immanence and Blue Mage can use Chain Affinity, so I don't think we need a similar system to compensate. Being able to fuse magic would be an interesting direction to take, I'm not sure if it'd be practical without out-staging other job roles (if less potent, how much more would it benefit us) . I think if you wanted a Scholar who's a better healer, sub WHM and if you wanted a Scholar who's a better nuker, sub BLM. Plus Scholar already has the opportunity to increase the potency of their spells without /WHM or /BLM. I think the only real benefit would be enfeebles, as you've combined two spells a Scholar gets to create gravity, which a scholar doesn't have, but it could easily be argued to just give Scholar more enfeebling spells, or as suggested, Helix II spells that enfeeble. I think it'd take less work on SE's hands.

OR, we could have different enfeebling status effects associated with an element and for there to be a strategem that allows for magic of the same element as the weather to have a corresponding enfeebling effect. I think it should be less potent than enfeebling spells, so it doesn't replace them, just to give Scholar more of an edge. It'd definitely offer an advantage to have a Scholar nuker I think. Just a thought for a solution.
    (0)
    Last edited by Saefinn; 03-25-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Character
    Nobodyhere
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 95
    i xay just give sch helix tier 2 spells and exculsive rights to metor and comet and will call it even and give blm tier 3 am
    (0)

Character
    Mascrapone
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 95
    This is kind of a fun idea but alarmingly complicated to code and it probably will not happen. Kudos though.
    (0)

I can see a lot of BLMs QQing if they did this. The concept is nice however, even if it's not so much "mixing" 2 elements, the ability to grant another spell different attributes other then it's own, i.e. adding Earth attributes to Thunder V allowing it to land on a Thunder Elemental for full damage would be neat, limited use, but neat nonetheless.
    (0)
    Last edited by Pofo; 03-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.

Character
    Shinzonx
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    what the deal is bout fusion spells would be castin two spells to make one spell you cant cast nomrally like since sch cant use AM's fusion would be like Fire V + Thunder V = Burst I or somethin like that and combinin two debuff spells to make Demi or two spells to create Ultima so blu and blm wouldnt lose out with Fusion spells to create another blm can also probably Magic burst same with ws skill chains just like blu can do the same
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzonx View Post
    what the deal is bout fusion spells would be castin two spells to make one spell you cant cast nomrally like since sch cant use AM's fusion would be like Fire V + Thunder V = Burst I or somethin like that and combinin two debuff spells to make Demi or two spells to create Ultima so blu and blm wouldnt lose out with Fusion spells to create another blm can also probably Magic burst same with ws skill chains just like blu can do the same
    If I decided to fuse several tier V spells together, and my result was Burst I, I think I'd uninstall XI from my computer and sue SE for my 7 years of monthly fees.

On another note, I'm well aware of what it is, I'm just stating that it's a little unrealistic. However, the ability to change the element of a spell from 1 particular element to another would be nice. Take Ghosts for instance, when we have Comet,Ghosts, Skeles, etc. have a 50% damage reduction to darkness elements, so you can convert comet to thunder element, and be able to use your strongest nuke with no elemental property drawbacks.
    (0)