Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagen View Post
    Bar Spells
    Not much to say makes sense based on the idea of a magic tank in low man situations where the healer shouldn't be running into the fight, though why no Barsilence?
    This has actually been confirmed as a bug and will be corrected in the version update that is scheduled to take place near the end of the month. We apologize for this!
    (15)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Losie
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 75
    I figure I might as well just post my thoughts on some of RUN's spells here.

Bar Spells
    Not much to say makes sense based on the idea of a magic tank in low man situations where the healer shouldn't be running into the fight, though why no Barsilence?

How about creating a few just for RUN like Barstun, Barterror, Bardeath, and Barzombie.

Blink and Stoneskin
    Okay so we're supposed to use these to absorb/negate damage that kind of makes sense except for the fact that RUN doesn't get native Fast Cast.

Maybe the thought was that well enemy spells take long to cast, except at 10 seconds (Stoneskin) and 6 seconds (Blink) we aren't going to get those cast before most spells and even less when you factor in most mage enemies have native Fast Cast so at best they might help absorb Ancient Magic/2 maybe.

I'm sure now some are thinking RUN gets Fast Cast gear, and you're right but even then you aren't going to be casting these spells mid battle without the enemy being kept from attacking without native Fast Cast.

If you're with a WHM Stoneskin is completely useless.

Foil
    Sounds great but why is it only 30 seconds? I guess a more important question is does "Special Attacks" equate to only monster's TP moves like we think. If it does then how many TP moves do you expect to be done within 30 seconds unless the monster is being zerged (which doesn't require a tank job)? If you don't want it to block that many moves then make it work like Migawari: Ichi extend the duration and have it wear off after 1 move.

Regens
    Could these be changed to be a different buff? Otherwise I just don't see the point outside of soloing.
    Regarding Foil - it's a neat idea, and I like the double entendre is cute, but.. For it's fairly high MP cost I don't know that it's very worthwhile.

For one, it's hard to anticipate WHEN a monster will use it's TP when above 20% or whatever it is when they just start spamming, and furthermore, when I have used it just before a monster's TP attack, I haven't really seen any big benefit.. which makes the large mana cost and awkward duration even less appealing.

As for regen, though, I'd actually argue they're fairly useful, especially since we get the higher tier regens. A nice bit of self-healing that pulls some MP usage away from the healer and let's the RUN put some of their MP to use on something other than bar spells and refresh.
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Losie View Post
    As for regen, though, I'd actually argue they're fairly useful, especially since we get the higher tier regens. A nice bit of self-healing that pulls some MP usage away from the healer and let's the RUN put some of their MP to use on something other than bar spells and refresh.
    How are they helpful outside of soloing though? I mean wouldn't you have a WHM that not only matches the tier but beats it with gear (obviously the gear part could change) or a SCH who trumps it completely with Regen V?

Edit: Don't get me wrong I like them for soloing at least as they allow me to focus on other things besides curing myself on easier targets.
    (1)
    Last edited by Zagen; 04-11-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Character
    Kojo
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Greetings!

This has actually been confirmed as a bug and will be corrected in the version update that is scheduled to take place near the end of the month. We apologize for this!
    To make it up to us, could you squeeze some more details out for next update?
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Can you imagine waking up each morning knowing that you would have to wrestle a man-sized radish to death in order to eat?
    Sorry, had to.

612 wharf ave next to the gentlemen's club.
    Character
    Tyrantsyn
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    I'm not here to down play the native fast cast idea, but aquaveil if your friend if trying to get these kinds of buffs up. RUN can cast native according to the list and if you have any one in party whose /sch and able to cast it, they should be throwing it at you as well.
    (2)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrantsyn View Post
    I'm not here to down play the native fast cast idea, but aquaveil if your friend if trying to get these kinds of buffs up. RUN can cast native according to the list and if you have any one in party whose /sch and able to cast it, they should be throwing it at you as well.
    There are times I agree on Aquaviel being viable, there are times it is not. Who knows maybe they will get native Fast Cast or AF/Relic/Emp armor that gives good amounts of it. Definitely not ready to write the job off so we shall see

I would overlap Aquaviel for when it's not so viable to make it more viable but doing so essentially ruins my chances of keeping hate.
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    There are times I agree on Aquaviel being viable, there are times it is not. Who knows maybe they will get native Fast Cast or AF/Relic/Emp armor that gives good amounts of it. Definitely not ready to write the job off so we shall see

I would overlap Aquaviel for when it's not so viable to make it more viable but doing so essentially ruins my chances of keeping hate.
    Fast Cast will very likely be on A/R/E. Enhances Aquaveil is likely as well, or maybe Aquaveil II?

The biggest, and probably only real issue, for RUN tanking right now is physical damage. Everything else can be worked on within realm of gear, I feel, in a properly balanced party. Case-in-point, I feel like trying to tank guys like Dragua who specialize in elemental damage and effects -- but without a way to mitigate physical damage better I don't see it as a real option.

I think RUN really needs its cooldowns softened and waste to mitigate physical damage before anything else.

That's just my opinion though. I'm hoping the Set bonus for Empy+2 is "Converts physical damage into non-elemental magic damage" with a 50% conversion rate.
    (0)
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    Fast Cast will very likely be on A/R/E. Enhances Aquaveil is likely as well, or maybe Aquaveil II?

The biggest, and probably only real issue, for RUN tanking right now is physical damage. Everything else can be worked on within realm of gear, I feel, in a properly balanced party. Case-in-point, I feel like trying to tank guys like Dragua who specialize in elemental damage and effects -- but without a way to mitigate physical damage better I don't see it as a real option.

I think RUN really needs its cooldowns softened and waste to mitigate physical damage before anything else.

That's just my opinion though. I'm hoping the Set bonus for Empy+2 is "Converts physical damage into non-elemental magic damage" with a 50% conversion rate.
    PLD's speciality is physical damage mitigation and its magic side is very limited outside of specialized gear and precious few abilities. RUN is the polar opposite in the tanking realm in that it is superb at magic damage reduction while leaving itself somewhat vulnerable to physical attacks without its also precious few abilities and specialized gear. It is possible we'll see some conversion gear or -(P/M)DT gear in A/R/E, but it won't be everything.

Your Empy set bonus idea is a nice touch though, however you should know well the activation rate on all empy gear is a sadly depressing < 10%.
    (0)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post
    PLD's speciality is physical damage mitigation and its magic side is very limited outside of specialized gear and precious few abilities. RUN is the polar opposite in the tanking realm in that it is superb at magic damage reduction while leaving itself somewhat vulnerable to physical attacks without its also precious few abilities and specialized gear. It is possible we'll see some conversion gear or -(P/M)DT gear in A/R/E, but it won't be everything.

Your Empy set bonus idea is a nice touch though, however you should know well the activation rate on all empy gear is a sadly depressing < 10%.
    I'm well aware of what PLD specializes in.

However, Paladin can reduce incoming magic damage by more than 50%. I don't want to see RUN super tanking mobs in Reives, but I do want them to be the main target of something bigger than a T mob without getting stomped into the ground. "Low man" tanking is not real tanking -- half of the DD's in the game can do it. If we're going to call RUN a tank, it needs to be able to handle big mobs like NIN and (with some modifications so this isn't a Ochain only option) PLD can.

The point isn't to make RUN a comparable PDT tank, it is to allow them to actually tank. Being able to reduce forth coming Magic damage is nice, but it is something RUN can do without being the primary focus of a mob. To be a tank, it actually has to be able to hold the mob's attention as well as not die in the process and doing that against any order of worthwhile target (i.e. a target that a MNK or SAM couldn't do it again equally well)

RUN needs to be able to take physical hits as well as magic hits. Its specialty and focus is to reduce magic, but it still needs to be able to eat hits from power NMs before it can be considered a tank in any real sense. Being able to reduce PDT by 50% without having to have a set completely dedicated to the task (PLD's Ochain/+2 converts and absorbs "damage" not specifically physical damage, and Aegis is -45% magic damage) -- RUN, in order to be able to tank even single targets of any amount of importance, needs comparable gear.

As such, reduction of Physical damage (be it converted to Magic damage which they can reduce with All for One/Shell V/Some new ability or improved parry/evasion-style mitigation options) is important to RUN's future as a tank.

EDIT:

PLD's +2 has about 15% activation, but Ochain activates on every Block and has a ridiculously high rate that can easily be capped at 100% depending on the target in question. I'd say even against the strongest mobs we see in Adoulin right now it is at least 70-80% block rate.
    (0)
    Last edited by Horadrim; 04-13-2013 at 12:16 AM.
    Somewhere in space... this could be happening right now.

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    PLD's +2 has about 15% activation
    Do you have a link to tests showing 15%? Everything I've seen thus far is a 5% activation at 5/5 which is consistent with other Emp set bonuses that have activation rates.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast