Character
    Nebo
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99

March 27 Enmity Update and Trick Attack

I'm going to play devils advocate here for a second and pretend like Trick Attack is something that people actually use for the purpose of controlling enmity.

Trick Attack only transfers the enmity of the damage it deals, and on March 27th that enmity will be reduced to 30% of what it is currently.

If tanking ever does make a comeback as a result of these updates, Trick Attack doesn't seem like it would offer much of anything to a tank if it scales like this. Not only is it based on relatively weak dagger base damage.....now it comes with a nifty 70%-off of the enmity transfer? Which, yes, will be the same in terms of ratio to enmity generated by other DD's damage. But damage isn't the only thing that generates enmity.

Now, personally, I hope it stays scaled to 30% like everyone else because I only use Trick Attack as a DD tool or to raise TH by Trick Attacking my WHM on things like Fafnir (because I like to pretend in my head that raising TH level does something). If it didn't scale or was treated differently, we could potentially lose the ability to Trick Attack random DD's that happen to be standing still long enough.

Seeing as how this enmity role is something you development types think is pretty cool for THF to do, I am curious about your plans for THF with this.

What say you?
    (0)
    Last edited by Nebo; 03-17-2013 at 07:07 PM.

Due to the change from 1-hand att capping at 2.25 the same as 2H weapons, Trick Attack actually has the potential to be more effective than before the update. It will certainly not be less effective than it ever was at level 75, since it scales the same as all of the other enmity from damage on the same mob.
    (0)

Character
    Nebo
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Not Necessarily.

In terms of enmity related to damage, yes. But pre-adjustment damage used to carry with it 70% more enmity. Now, damage as a whole will be much less effective for generating enmity, and thus, trick attack.

SO with all the various elements contributing to enmity, and damage generating enmity being significantly lowered, this is a nerf for thf (in terms of enmity manipulation). Our only enmity transferring ability uses only damage, and now gives significantly less enmity than it did before to a tank.

Point being, lets say focused tanking does make a comeback: No one is going to bring a THF to control enmity because Trick Attack offers even less damaged-based enmity than it did before, and it will be a negligible amount to what tanks can produce with their own abilities and other, better, support. THF won't be worth a slot for enmity purposes (even less so than it was at 75).

Besides that, trick attack wasn't very effective at level 75 for its enmity transfer either. Dagger damage and WS compared to two handers etc is just too much of "a drop in the ocean" situation.
    (0)

No, Proportionally, the enmity produced by TA will be similar to 75. At 75, people just hit for 30% less damage, now they only get the enmity for 30% of their damage. The amount of enmity generated via a TA WS compared to flash or voke will be proportionately similar to what it was at 75.
    (0)