Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Aubinann
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 74
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    We certainly understand that this would be quite convenient, but unfortunately implementing such a feature is not possible at this time.
    Could you at least explain in technical detail as to why?
    It's not just a matter of convenience by the way, it's a matter of loving the game and wanting to relive those memories.
    (3)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingAvatar View Post
    It's not just a matter of convenience by the way, it's a matter of loving the game and wanting to relive those memories.
    Likely that the data for cutscenes, including NPC models are all stored in the zone where the cutscenes take place. Which is why cutscenes start without needing to load first, as they are included in the loading process for the zone itself. To create a single zone that can load and display all cutscenes in the game --- every NPC, Monster, and character model included in a cutscene would have to be added to a single zone in addition to all of the data related to the the choreography for that zone, not to mention replications of the original zone in which the scene takes place itself. The amount of load of not only duplicating all of this superfluous data into a single, new area as well as the process of loading it each time a character enters this zone would be massive.

Just my theory.

If you consider the fact that all of the cutscenes run in the game's in-game engine, using in-game character models that are just choreographed it's not a bad suspicion as to how they put the system together to be workable on a PS2. Maximizes pre-loading in a big way.
    (2)

Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    Likely that the data for cutscenes, including NPC models are all stored in the zone where the cutscenes take place. Which is why cutscenes start without needing to load first, as they are included in the loading process for the zone itself. To create a single zone that can load and display all cutscenes in the game --- every NPC, Monster, and character model included in a cutscene would have to be added to a single zone in addition to all of the data related to the the choreography for that zone, not to mention replications of the original zone in which the scene takes place itself. The amount of load of not only duplicating all of this superfluous data into a single, new area as well as the process of loading it each time a character enters this zone would be massive.

Just my theory.

If you consider the fact that all of the cutscenes run in the game's in-game engine, using in-game character models that are just choreographed it's not a bad suspicion as to how they put the system together to be workable on a PS2. Maximizes pre-loading in a big way.
    That is correct. The reason you are temporarily zoned into West Sarutabaruta [S] for many cutscenes that take place in Windurst Waters [S] is because WW[S] already has an excessive amount of data for one zone.

I remember a while back, the update notes stated that some quest CSes were moved to Bhaflau Thickets or Wajaom Woodlands for memory reasons. I believe the CSes were originally at Al Zahbi's Goblin Footprint, which holds no CSes to anyone's knowledge.
    (1)

Character
    Mokeil
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    We certainly understand that this would be quite convenient, but unfortunately implementing such a feature is not possible at this time.
    My thanks for taking the time to ask about this for me. I am certainly disappointed, but in this case, I'd rather the solid "no" than to be kept wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingAvatar View Post
    The "why" of this is pretty easy, unfortunately. It would be time consuming to do, and (as Horadrim pointed out) would add a bunch of extra data to a game that is starting to stretch itself thin with its data limits.

Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    Likely that the data for cutscenes, including NPC models are all stored in the zone where the cutscenes take place.
    This is why my first idea involved just teleporting the player to a non-area of the map, triggering the cut-scene, and then popping them back again. The code for this mostly already exists, though I certainly admit it would take time to properly tweak and then apply to the existing cut-scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
    I'm sorry but the biggest issue between the story being spread over several months is that you have trouble remembering everything that happened. Having to find all the foot prints to rewatch cut scenes is extremely asinine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut View Post
    I SO WANT TO GO TO HERE! I want to visit all past memories of the game and storylines I have forgotten.

It would be really nice if I could watch the storylines I forgot or did not understand fully when I first saw them.
    I definitely understand how you feel! By the time I got to the CoP story line, the whole thing was out, but the difficulty hadn't been adjusted. It took almost half a year for my static group to clear it all. I definitely forgot a lot of stuff - mostly about Louverance. What was his deal, anyways? Like, he was your bro, had your back and all... But he was also a secret church agent, or something? And there was a real Louverance who wanted to kill our Louverance for stealing his name?

Also, a lot of the old CoP story line has changed in meaning/significance with the revelation of the Dark Divinity's identity, and I was rather interested in re-watching the old story with my new understandings.

Alas, it seems that will not be...
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Tangent: I was disappointed to learn that the new character/new allegiance cutscenes can't be replayed at all. Any hope of adding those?
    (4)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Zeroe
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Woo! No theater! Love how people still pay for this kinda crap updates.
    (0)

Character
    Aubinann
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 74
    Sorry but the technical reasons so far are thin.

It should work like so:
    Player initiates cut-scene theatre and chooses a cut-scene.
    Player warps to area where cut-scene takes place.
    Player watches cut-scene.
    Player is warped back to theatre area.

The same memory issues exist as if the cut-scene was taking place.
    Yes, you'd have to know which cut-scene goes to which area - shouldn't take that long.
    Yes, you'd have to warp the player back to the theatre area afterwards - (*cough* callback *cough*)

I'm a videogame programmer professionally, so I ask for the technical details because I'm intrigued about how hard it is - I expect there is a more complex reason, as this is a 10 year old game and the code-base must be like spaghetti.
    (2)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3