Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Mierin
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 4

Mithra or Elvaan

Title says it all. I know its a stupid question but, I just can't decide. I want to play THF, BLU, NIN and probably SAM (I used to have a SAM and quite enjoyed it). I managed to unlock the support jobs on both and am in the process of getting BLU on both >.>

What do u guys think? The male Elvaan seems pretty beast but, I'm not a fan of their casting animations nor the dagger attack animations. Mithra seem cool but, being a guy it just feels strange to play a chick in game as lame as that is haha.
    (0)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    10 years ago I asked myself the same question, and now I kind of regret my initial choice due to the constant crossdressing jokes and the occasional "Are you gay?", but it's not so bad. Secretly liking dresses helps a bit. :3
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by taylor82 View Post
    I just can't decide.
    Depends on what you care about. If you care about looking cool, then you have your answer, but if you only care about stats, Elvaan accuracy isn't as much an issue as it once was, especially for 2h weapons, Elvaan have high STR, and they have higher then average HP (the best stat in the game), while their MP pool isn't a meaningful downside anymore.
    (0)

Character
    Kefkaru
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 15
    Oh wow, I didn't realize races mattered this much. Would I be a fool to make a Taru melee?

BTW I'm brand new to the game, only been playing a couple days...
    (0)

Mithra is a nice Balance of stats. they're going to be a good few STR behind Elvaan, but of the jobs you listed, DEX and AGI are going to be important as well.

for NIN, AGI as a HI Mod, for THF, as a TA mod and Exenterator

DEX because almost all the jobs you listed have a Crit-hit WS (most with DEX mods...) as their primary dmg source.

The only exception being SAM. So in my opinion, its a 3 to 1 in favor of Mithra. while MP may not "Matter" as much as it used too, You're still going to feel the restrictions, especially on BLU, who already have a pretty low MP pool.

Will it be crippling? No, But honestly, I'd go Mithra. - And i'm not just saying that because i chose the race.

Also yes, a Taru (Melee)DD is foolish. Taru are just plain awful as Melee DD. while its not going to be a huge difference, they lack any strong features in STR or DEX, and are statistically the worse Melee DD Race available. Though the gap is not WTF huge.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karbuncle View Post
    Also yes, a Taru (Melee)DD is foolish. Taru are just plain awful as Melee DD. while its not going to be a huge difference, they lack any strong features in STR or DEX, and are statistically the worse Melee DD Race available. Though the gap is not WTF huge.
    I wouldn't compare a Tarutaru's STR to their DEX. They have average DEX. Their STR is below average.

Still, a Tarutaru's STR isn't insurmountable, it is only an eleven point deficit compared to an Elvaan's STR. Basically, it won't kill you.

What will kill you as a Tarutaru melee is the only stat that has enough difference and importance between races to matter - HP. Also, many melee players merits HP, which negates any possible fix that could have while keeping the gap as wide if not wider.

At the widest gap you're missing 445 HP between yourself and a Galka, and this difference will get your ass killed. This wouldn't be so bad if every job had an MP pool or even every job that does have an MP pool had it make a make or break difference but the prevalence of refresh sources have made the 467 or so MP difference at the widest point (a job/subjob combination that nobody uses on a job that is arguably the most neglected job) between yourself and a Galka. There aren't any unique refresh sources to help rebalance this, and further adding insult to injury, the easiest way to start a fight with more MP is converts HP to MP gear, something a Galka can afford to do, but the opposite isn't always an option with melees without MP pools.

Any chances of this inbalance being remotely negated are pooped on by Tarutaru's low VIT, and even Tarutaru's above average AGI or INT doesn't help since it won't make you evade enough damage enough of the time or resist enough magic damage enough of the time.

So SE balances mobs to be threatening and deal about 370~595 more damage to be a threat to everyone who isn't a Tarutaru which is often lethal to melee range Tarutaru. The worst DD in the game is a dead one, so HP ends up actually mattering more then any other stat.

Despite all this I suggest you choose whatever race you want and have fun. If enough Tarutaru players complain about the imbalance we could see a change in monster actions or HP/MP numbers between races.
    (2)

Character
    Kefkaru
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 15
    Quote Originally Posted by Economizer View Post
    Despite all this I suggest you choose whatever race you want and have fun. If enough Tarutaru players complain about the imbalance we could see a change in monster actions or HP/MP numbers between races.
    Thanks for the input (both of you). ^^

Even though I'd very much love to build a Taru tank or melee, I don't think I'll take the gamble on it. The last thing I want is to get to cap and be looked down upon because of something like this, lol. I'm so glad I saw this now instead of a few months down the road... in every other game I've played with racial stats it didn't have an impact really except for the first 10-20 levls.
    (0)

Character
    Kefkaru
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 15
    Do any of you guys know a good site to refer to for which races go well with each job? I am really worried I'm going to make the wrong choice now, lol. I really wanted to be a taru but I like all the melee jobs more than mage ones. I just want to make sure I don't make another bad choice such as taru+melee.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by RealmReborn View Post
    I just want to make sure I don't make another bad choice such as taru+melee.
    There are no other bad choices. HP is the only stat that matters (in terms of the differences from races), and Tarutaru are the only race with a deficit over the average.

But if you really want to compare all the races, the races go as follows for their "super" stat: Hume - None (no superpowered stats, but no downsides, although they share average CHR with everyone but Galka and Mithra), Galka - HP/VIT (also above average STR, but lowest MP and below average CHR), Elvaan - STR/MND (low DEX, lowest INT, below average MP), Mithra - DEX/AGI (pretty average in every other stat, although a below average VIT/CHR), Tarutaru -INT/MP (lowest STR, VIT, HP, but above average AGI).

Each stat has its usages (you can check BGwiki for each stat to compare). Your primary stats most of the time for a melee job are HP/STR/DEX. The biggest deficit between these isn't that large with the exception of HP though, so don't worry too much. To compare specific race stats with certain jobs/subjobs check a stat calculator.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by RealmReborn View Post
    Oh wow, I didn't realize races mattered this much. Would I be a fool to make a Taru melee?

BTW I'm brand new to the game, only been playing a couple days...
    Being a taru myself I can assure you theres nothing at all wrong with taru melee. In fact, taru do it best, just coz we are awesome! And we also get some of the coolest ws animations in the game - who doesnt love doing multiple backflips? lol
    (1)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast