Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Player
    Statistically Tarutaru are bad melee jobs, visually they are awesome, so pick your poison.
    (1)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    10 years ago we had discussions like this, then it kind of died for around 9 years and now the old arguments and talking points about Taru melee are resurfacing, and it's really funny now because the game has changed so much that the haters have to revive an ancient topic and conveniently ignore the mountains of -DT and HP+ gear.
    (0)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    10 years ago we had discussions like this, then it kind of died for around 9 years and now the old arguments and talking points about Taru melee are resurfacing, and it's really funny now because the game has changed so much that the haters have to revive an ancient topic and conveniently ignore the mountains of -DT and HP+ gear.
    Not really, even with DT gear your HP still becomes a problem, HP gear is not effective to stack on either. People are not anti-Taru, they are anti-dead DD.
    (2)

Character
    Zerichtwo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    delete your character
    There are times when TPing in a hybrid set is acceptable. The only way a taru would be able to overcome their HP deficiency with current mobs would be to constantly melee is HP+ and DT- gear.
    All of those options hurt their damage output, rendering them ineffective and making it more practical to select any other race to DD over the taru.
    (1)
    Last edited by Plasticleg; 03-22-2013 at 02:48 AM.

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    If DDs had 4k+ HP each you guys would still cry about Taru lagging behind, and would still assert that you're right and I'm wrong despite all of the many successful Taru players out there who understand that it's not about your max HP, it's how you use what you have to work with to accomplish your goal. You can throw hypotheticals at me about how inefficient this or that is, but at the end of the day all you're doing is soapboxing about your opinion and why exactly everyone should listen to you.
    (0)

Player
    Elvaan is the master race.
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    In really high buff situations (which includes capped fSTR), my Taru DNC is 0.3% worse than a Galka. My Taru WAR (no longer capped fSTR) is 1.5% worse than a Galka. These examples were both optimized for Galka, then I just flipped the race to taru and divided.

It's a pretty insubstantial difference in practice. However, for a totally-optimized player that last 1% damage is worth millions of gil. I mean, how much does Khepri Jacket cost? It doesn't even increase THF's DPS by 1% overall. If people care enough to pay 200mil so their THF can do ~<1% more damage, they'd probably feel the same way about their base stats.

Anyway though, the much more substantial difference in practice is the fact that I have to change the food I eat when I do events and play much more conservatively than my Elvaan/Galkan counterparts because of my dramatically lower HP pool. Legion is very one-shotty, and Tarus simply don't have enough HP to survive unless they turtle against many of the monsters. If you die in Legion, you lose a lot more than 1% damage and it greatly impacts your alliance's success. If you spend the whole time in a turtle-y hybrid set, you also lose more than 1% damage. I eat Arrabbiata (which sucks, because 1 dragon meat = 2 of them) and switch to a hybrid TP set against many of the monsters. On the other side, our Elvaan DRKs get to eat Red Curry Buns and go all-out on pretty much everything. So for events like Legion, the Taru HP difference causes a DD difference that is much larger than it first appears.
    (5)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Thank you Byrth for illustrating the pros and cons of being a taru far more eloquently than my drunk ass ever could.
    (0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    You can macro into more MP without screwing yourself over, you can't macro into more HP or even more damage reduction to do the same if you expect to be outputting damage anywhere near close.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    On the other side, our Elvaan DRKs get to eat Red Curry Buns and go all-out on pretty much everything.
    To add insult to injury Elvaans on a budget get supercharged Royal Omelette/Imperial Omelette to eat as well (it isn't quite as good, but on a budget it would make a huge difference). Do Tarutaru even get a special mage food? Nope.

Mage food isn't even anywhere near the league DD food is either, and you (currently) can't ever hope to compete with a melee job for damage in the majority of situations.

One step further... you lose your food effect when you die on top of getting weakened. Tarutaru's low HP even screws them over when it comes to food.
    (0)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Byrth View Post
    I eat Arrabbiata
    I wish people actually made that stuff, I don't think it's appeared on the AH of my server for like 6 months.
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast