Character
    Hideka
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99

what will you sub?

i'm guessing the standard go-to sub for this job will be samurai, but what are your thoughts about OTHER subs?

personally i think scholar will be a valid sub due to the existance of an MP pool and the propertys of LA/DA
    (0)

Player
    WAR, SAM, RDM, or SCH.

WAR gives offense and some defense to help out, depending on natural abilities, gear selection, weapon rating, the fact it has Resolution, and if it gets at least the OAT GS or something very powerful that comes out with SoA, it could be made to do some good damage. While the job may be coming as a tank, if it does have the capability to do good damage I could see it becoming a decent DD seeing as its main weapon is GS, one of the leading damage types currently.

SAM has Hasso, TP abilities, and more physical defensive options than WAR while keeping up its offense power. Again depending on many factors which determine if the job can be a DD will make a difference in this sub jobs real power, but if it turns out right then this could easily be a great sub for the job.

RDM might give RUN some spells it lacks, and faster casting times which can help out mid-battle assuming it does not get native fast cast, which would not surprise me when thinking of what else it gets from RDM. Besides that the ability to convert, a bit of Magic Defense Bonus from traits if it lacks it naturally for some reason, and the possibility to cast Haste on yourself, it could become a good sub for RUN, especially when soloing.

SCH has Light Arts and Dark Arts to boost up the level of RUN's skills. Assuming that RUN does not surpass the Enhancing Magic of RDM, this would put it on par at base skill. Dark Arts would allow MP absorption as well as a few other handy spells, while Light Arts provides some decent cures if RUN lacks them natively as well as status removing spells, which are always welcome to a tank. Also, with or without native Fast Cast, RUN will be casting faster thanks to arts, and if it has native Fast Cast it will still benefit from this advantage, unlike with subbing RDM.
    (0)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    if RUN need to cast often /sam is bad because seigan/hasso +50%cast time
    DRK can be a good option with LR haste subbable
    (0)

Player
    True, the main use of SAM would be for DD power with little casting, however depending on the rate of casting and what is being cast, the Seigan/Third Eye combo could hold up as a defense against physical without being wiped or effected by spells, which RUN will be ok to take anyways. If casting a lot, or depending on what could be cast mid-battle, SAM could be a bad sub, but that depends on info we do not currently have.
    (0)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Depends on if they get a form of native JA haste and if SE makes any changes to /DRK.

/SAM will win hands down for overall power, Hasso is just ~that~ good. If SE changes /DRK then it becomes viable, 15% attack with 15% JA haste for 3min is a pretty potent spike damage boost. From what SE's said most of RUN's unique abilities are JA's and not spells, and while they do have enhancing magic and some buffs you can easily cancel Hasso and reapply them.

Of course this is looking at the time past when all the newbs run around trying to "tank" things and failing miserably.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Player
    Sandwich. I will sub sandwich.

For group activities involving hard fights and lots of buffs, Rune Fencer may end up facing The Dragoon's Dilemma. Warrior provides Berserk, Samurai provides Store TP and Hasso; something akin to both of those is needed to perform really well against the toughest monsters. Rune Fencer will apparently have a lot of support elements that Dragoon doesn't, though, so this seems like far less of an issue for the new job.

Depending on how strong and frequent the elemental Lunges can be and what modifies them, Red Mage might be a viable sub just for the Magic Attack Bonus with everything else being a nice bonus. Especially for soloing, if Rune Fencer doesn't have Haste natively.

If Rune Fencer somehow ends up an effective tank and little else similar to Paladin, unless FFXI changes drastically, Rune Fencer will sub whatever helps a shield-less bro hold Paramount Botulus or six Ravishing Rafflesia far away from any sign of human civilization.
    (2)
    Last edited by SpankWustler; 03-03-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Character
    Saefinn
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    I am going to bet WAR, SCH, RDM and DRK for this one. WAR for its defensive and offensive boosts. DRK for it's ability to function as a glass cannon, even at subjob level. SCH for its spell boosts and some additional magic skills as back up. RDM for fast cast and additional buffs/enfeebles.

SAM I can see being useful for melee but might hinder things on the magical side. Then again, situations may permit it, depends on how SE's thought this out really.

However, I suspect WAR & RDM may end up being the 2 favourites. Well, it's a hunch anyway.

If it manages to tank well, WAR and NIN would be obvious choices.
    (0)
    Saefinn on Asura
    Main Jobs: Corsair: i117, Scholar: i117, Monk: i117, Summoner: i117

Character
    Craftthree
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 1
    Rune Fencer / Fargo

ohhhh yeah, cause Jo is definatly worth it. Eureka!
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by hiko View Post
    if RUN need to cast often /sam is bad because seigan/hasso +50%cast time
    DRK can be a good option with LR haste subbable
    /SAM for DD, /DNC or /NIN for tanking, I'd say.

/WAR might be useful, but I don't know how much faith I have in it.
    (0)

Character
    Hesper
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    If i had to take any wild stabs in the dark for this I'm guessing since it has a native MP pool and quite a few of the same Enhancing magic as other mages (Stoneskin, Blink, Aquavail, and Exc.) with flash as being it's main hate holding tool at least from video and reading speculation any job that slows down the recasting time for Flash which makes /SAM less attractive for an aspect of tanking since this increases Flash (Provided RUN has no native fast cast like it's PLD Counter part) Recast to over a Minute meaning terrible for holding hate as a tank but /SAM if you aren't casting that many spells would make a good Melee focused DD since Runes are on a 5-10 Second JA Cooldown with Siegen to hide behind when you pull hate.

WAR as a sub adds a little bit of everything to the table for RUN example for Tanking we see +10 DEF (Nothing Special), Provoke which will help the job hold hate better, and Defender for when you want a bit more DEF. Offensively Berserk and Aggressor should help the job out though probably not as much as Hasso and Store TP would. There is also +10 ATT (Again nothing special), Double Attack, and Warcry that would help in both DD and Tanking fields. Only downside is that it doesn't focus on one side or the other just kind of makes a nice middle ground balance.

Now moving on to /RDM which makes PLD basically if done right un-damageable. Looking at it in terms for RUN which is rumored to have some Regens, Refresh, and Phalanx takes those spells out of the line up. So the only 100% useful spells you are looking at /RDM if rumors are true is Haste and the Barspell line with maybe a little bit of help from Cure 1-3 but with the changes to healing magic it won't be that effective since it will only be sub level healing magic skill and same goes for the other spells. about the only things that I can see helping RUN with /RDM is the Fast Cast (Provided it doesn't get them), MAB (Only will be useful if the Rune attack release is magic based), Slight MP increase, and MDB (Again provided it doesn't get them like how PLD gets Defense bonus).

Now RUN can get a couple of interesting things from a PLD sub mostly +22 Defense (Nothing really that big), Auto Refresh, Sentinel, and Cover which are all nice tanking tools for the job to use along with the same healing magic skill and spells as /RDM. Only downside is no DD skills to help it deal more damage to help hold hate possibly leading it to the fate of Turtle Tanking which doesn't hold hate anymore.

Moving on to /DRK this sub offers a couple of different DD aspects to the job +22 Attack (Nothing again really that big), Last Resort (Nice Spike Damage ability), and some people might get a kick out of killing themselves with Souleater for a little bit of extra damage. This sub does also bring in a JA based stun with Weapon Bash. But other then sounding fun I don't think this sub will be used since it doesn't bring anything else to the table and probably at least at later levels be out done by /SAM's Hasso and /WAR's Double Attack+Berserk.

Ah yes everyone's favorite sub for taking less damage /NIN. Though unlike it's PLD counterpart that has Shield Mastery that makes /NIN work for tanking RUN will be lacking a Shield to stop this spell from being interrupted. Though according to what I have read RUN should have Stoneskin and Aquavail to absorb the hits and help lower the interruptions but I see RUN having to constantly recast these spells while hiding behind the shadows making it a little anti-productive. The only other advantage /NIN would bring to RUN is Subtle Blow III.

Next /DNC this to most people sounds like a good solid idea since you can cure yourself with TP but in my opinion /DNC works much better with jobs that can Dual Wield rather then Two-hander jobs like DRK DRG and RUN. Looking past that /DNC does at least offer a couple of other nice things like +10 ACC (Not that big of a deal), +22 EVA (Kind of nice since physical attacks for the job will be EVA and parrying based), Subtle Blow II, with a couple of nice steps and Flourishes. This sub probably will be more of a situation based sub like for example Dynamis for JA procs.

Finally /SCH this sub makes the magic aspect of RUN seem like it would move along smoother with the use of Light Arts and Dark Arts to increase skills to usable levels and the Stratagems for a little bit of increased effectiveness. This sub also offers Resist Silence II, Conserve MP, and a +10 MP Boost over /RDM (Though 10 MP isn't much of anything). This sub also makes spells like Cure I-III more useful due to the respectable healing magic skill Light Arts brings and Spells like Drain and Aspir will be usable with this sub job. The Storm spells should hopefully also help out with the Rune system making the Enspell effect that is given provided it's not Thunder based a little bit stronger. This sub also allows for the RUN to remove it's own status ailments which will be helpful instead of trying to get your mage to remove the ailment. The main downside to this sub is that it doesn't offer any DD or Tank increases just helps the job support itself.

/BLU and /BST might have some interesting things to bring to the job but these subs mostly seem like they would be just for fun. most of the other jobs in my opinion really don't bring that much to the table to help the job one way or another and probably will be just overlooked.

So in conclusion I'll probably end up trying the subs I posted above and see what works for me but I hope this should help people in choosing a sub job. Constructive Crit is alway welcomed if I managed to miss something or a sub job I might of over looked.
    (0)