Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    You pay for the game, so play it the way that suits you. There are still people out there who level at least through 75 the old school way, then go to Abyssea. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the game.
    (1)

Character
    Archeim
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 90
    Personally, i just started to play the game in January of this year after years in resisting. I'm pretty addicted at this point. Some of my IRL friends showed me the basics and what not and my current highest level character is my DRK which is Level 42. I'm an achievement junkie, i'll admit and i've been tempted to try to "leech" but i havent at this point. I have a lot more things to do before i attempt Abyssea. I'm trying to get all my jobs to 75... heck, i'm still trying to unlock all my jobs. (9 more i think?)

I really think it just comes down to your preference. I’ve been killed by too many mobs that look like fluffy bunnies, and lost too much exp. I’d like to be stronger, and I think that is more than just what level you are. I think I just want to be more rounded… and from what I hear, it’s a lot easier to level than it used to be. I leveled my thief from 1 to 15 over the past weekend, and got my artifact weapon for my DRK (which I can use at lv 43…)

There is a lot of content to see and places to go before Abyssea, (and lots of weapons/magic to skill up) so I think I can wait.

That being said… currently on Titan (soon to be phoenix) Bastok level 5.

Good journeys.
    (0)
    Last edited by Archeim; 04-21-2011 at 03:39 AM.

it's the old Frost poem, you're taking "the road less travelled" and you will find that it has its own satisfactions.

Abyssea is great if you just want to jump straight into end-game content. That being said, most of the quest and the like content was originally designed for getting to 75, not being 75 if you catch my meaning. A few years ago, they started concentrating on adding end-game content (at 75) because most long-term players had at least 1 75 job. They decided to raise the level cap because even new content wasn't holding the interest of the long-time 75 set of players and too many were quitting, as well as to breathe a bit of extra life into a game that is almost at the end of its viable life cycle. Considerring the commercial bomb that is FF14 they really need to keep 11 viable until they come up with an acceptable alternative to 14 that will give a commercial success.

Advantages to the old way:
    1. you will be very familiar with your job.
    2. you will be skilled already when you reach end-game, meaning that you will actually be of use.
    3. You will have access to quested/mission earned gear, access to areas, OP warps and pre-reqs for content at end-game levels.
    4. you should make friends with many other skilled veterans that prefer the older way of doing things, and thus have help on what is still on your "to-do" list.
    5. you will be able to function outside Abyssea using the older party mechanics and the like that still apply there.
    6. you will likely have developed some form of income in the game to function.

Advantages to the post-Aby leveling:
    1. you don't have to wait.
    2. you can go back to do the lower-level content, but with a level 90 (handy when you ask for help and the answer is "You can Solo It!")
    3. You don't have to do the work yourself, just let others do it for you.
    4. no need to study up on anything, even your own job.
    5. you will have a level 90 job to goof around on doing lower level stuff during downtime.
    6. if you are a noob, who can tell the difference with all the other level 90 noobs walking around?

ok, I have opinions...
    (0)

Character
    Rinzler
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 34
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    it's the old Frost poem, you're taking "the road less travelled" and you will find that it has its own satisfactions.

Abyssea is great if you just want to jump straight into end-game content. That being said, most of the quest and the like content was originally designed for getting to 75, not being 75 if you catch my meaning. A few years ago, they started concentrating on adding end-game content (at 75) because most long-term players had at least 1 75 job. They decided to raise the level cap because even new content wasn't holding the interest of the long-time 75 set of players and too many were quitting, as well as to breathe a bit of extra life into a game that is almost at the end of its viable life cycle. Considerring the commercial bomb that is FF14 they really need to keep 11 viable until they come up with an acceptable alternative to 14 that will give a commercial success.

Advantages to the old way:
    1. you will be very familiar with your job.
    2. you will be skilled already when you reach end-game, meaning that you will actually be of use.
    3. You will have access to quested/mission earned gear, access to areas, OP warps and pre-reqs for content at end-game levels.
    4. you should make friends with many other skilled veterans that prefer the older way of doing things, and thus have help on what is still on your "to-do" list.
    5. you will be able to function outside Abyssea using the older party mechanics and the like that still apply there.
    6. you will likely have developed some form of income in the game to function.

Advantages to the post-Aby leveling:
    1. you don't have to wait.
    2. you can go back to do the lower-level content, but with a level 90 (handy when you ask for help and the answer is "You can Solo It!")
    3. You don't have to do the work yourself, just let others do it for you.
    4. no need to study up on anything, even your own job.
    5. you will have a level 90 job to goof around on doing lower level stuff during downtime.
    6. if you are a noob, who can tell the difference with all the other level 90 noobs walking around?

ok, I have opinions...
    I just want to point out some things people continue to forget

2. No you wont, you know when you level sync you dont get skill points beyond that level? And due to lack of parties you can be going straight back to valkurm dunes or qufim eve at 30+. even at 50 you end up back at lower levels so if you avoid Abyssea and Level sync, sure you'll be skilled, but you wont be near high enough for what your level is. I'm 32 and my skills have been stuck at 22 for some time. But also to add on this, Skill Points have increased in rate, they come by faster and larger now, you can get them from easier mobs, so even if you did abyssea or level sync, it'd take like a week to cap most of the basic skills. If you're never tanking you wont get evasion up or shield up or parry i think? so they'd always be low regardless of how you level.

3. I dont get this, how would you not have access to this just by leeching? You could spend an hr getting the "important" op's, you can go buy gear with the gil you've not wasted levelling, and go swim past all the missions solo since it'd be easier.

All the abyssea options seem fine. hah @ the noob thing, so true though, but there are even level 90's who levelled old way who are noobs. It doesnt take long to learn your job, you just go muck around skilling up, do some stuff solo or with friends, then just go on clopedia to learn stuff.

Even if you level the old way you still wont know
    - how to defeat any bosses/nms/hnms etc
    - how to do events; sky/sea w/e people do these days
    - how to do abyssea which is the main thing right now

Levelling old way doesnt make you any better than leeching. Both ways you still need to do work

Start-----Leeched to 90--------------------------------------skilling up-------learn your job
    Start----------------------------------levelled to 90-------finish skill ups------learn your job

Only thing that changes is when you get to 90.
    (1)

Character
    Chakoteh
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Octaviane View Post
    You pay for the game, so play it the way that suits you. There are still people out there who level at least through 75 the old school way, then go to Abyssea. The most important thing is to have fun and enjoy the game.
    Best thing I've seen written in this thread Thank you /bow
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by viion View Post
    I just want to point out some things people continue to forget

2. No you wont, you know when you level sync you dont get skill points beyond that level? And due to lack of parties you can be going straight back to valkurm dunes or qufim eve at 30+. even at 50 you end up back at lower levels so if you avoid Abyssea and Level sync, sure you'll be skilled, but you wont be near high enough for what your level is. I'm 32 and my skills have been stuck at 22 for some time. But also to add on this, Skill Points have increased in rate, they come by faster and larger now, you can get them from easier mobs, so even if you did abyssea or level sync, it'd take like a week to cap most of the basic skills. If you're never tanking you wont get evasion up or shield up or parry i think? so they'd always be low regardless of how you level.
    There's old school and there's old school. the game has been around a long time. Level sync didn't start until 4-5 years after release iirc. I'm also not all that certain he'll find parties, he may have to solo the whole thing.

3. I dont get this, how would you not have access to this just by leeching? You could spend an hr getting the "important" op's, you can go buy gear with the gil you've not wasted levelling, and go swim past all the missions solo since it'd be easier.
    Because ASA, MKT, ACP, Dynamis, Salvage, Nyzul, Limbus, Einherjar, Sky, Salvage, Campaign and the like can't be played in Abyssea?

All the abyssea options seem fine. hah @ the noob thing, so true though, but there are even level 90's who levelled old way who are noobs. It doesnt take long to learn your job, you just go muck around skilling up, do some stuff solo or with friends, then just go on clopedia to learn stuff.

Even if you level the old way you still wont know
    - how to defeat any bosses/nms/hnms etc
    - how to do events; sky/sea w/e people do these days
    - how to do abyssea which is the main thing right now

Levelling old way doesnt make you any better than leeching. Both ways you still need to do work

Start-----Leeched to 90--------------------------------------skilling up-------learn your job
    Start----------------------------------levelled to 90-------finish skill ups------learn your job

Only thing that changes is when you get to 90.
    not true, good luck learning anything about party mechanics, riding hate thresholds and the like in Abyssea. Nobody actually cares. I've seen a bunch of veteran players turning back into noobs due to all the Atma induced stupidity out there.

I went to a skill-up party, they insisted on a monk tank (I was pulling on bst/nin) with 2 other DD (dark and sam) and a dancer as main healer (yeah, I also didn't build the party). condors in meri (s). Well, I brought back 3 because they wanted Aby-size and pace pulls and went back out looking for more. Short version, monk dead in about 75 seconds, other 2 Dd in about 30 seconds more, the dancer ran and zoned to fort karugo, and I had Sashra charge whisker the lot and tank until I also zoned. The monk got pissed and left, I took over the party and got a paladin and rdm, dancer became back-up heal, the party ran 4 hours with no deaths and I think we got about 51 skill all told.
    (0)
    Last edited by Glamdring; 04-29-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: incomplete

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5