Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Paddycakes
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Looking for a DD to do VW that does not req an E/R/M

Long story short im looking for a DD that i can either buy a wep or work on a magian wep for and still do decent damage in voidwatch

E/R/M for me and my situation are nearly impossible for 3 reasons

1) I have not decided on a main job yet so working on one only to switch my main the next week would be foolish.

2) I have 1, and only 1, other person i can rely on for my emp. I do not have an ls or any group of friends that i can rely on to help me with this.

3) I will not pay someone to merc my drops for me. Ive been screwed out of many other items because people split when its your time to get stuff, so im not gonna lose money over it as well.

All job suggestions and weps are welcome. No job is offlimits as im kind of neutral about all jobs.
    (1)

Relic and Empy are soloble, but are a large time investment if you're doing it that way. It all boils down to your commitment to getting them. There are a large variety of jobs that can solo in Abyssea with just AF3+2, BST is one of them that is easy to gear and use. Relic is in the same boat, you can solo it all since its just buying currency.(with the exception of the final magian trials which you can pay people to help you do. Farm 1.5~2m gil a dyna run on your BST and save up to pay someone to finish the trials with you.)
    (2)

The best you could do is probably a TP bonus Kantonotachi on SAM and use Shoha, or maybe an OA2 greatsword on DRK for Resolution.

Those options might be pretty close to lv85 empy weapons, but good luck convincing the player base of that.
    (3)
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-18-2013 at 09:47 AM.

Player
    If absolutely nothing else matters but the (lack of) time and effort needed to make a decent weapon, then making a Magian TP bonus Great Katana and using almost solely Tachi: Shoha is probably your best bet.

There might be some decent AH options for somebody looking to Resolution all the things, too.
    (0)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The best you could do is probably a TP bonus Kantonotachi on SAM and use Shoha, or maybe an OA2 greatsword on DRK for Resolution.

Those options might be pretty close to lv85 empy weapons, but good luck convincing the player base of that.
    They crush their respective 85 emp counterparts. 95+ is a different story.

Mostly has to do with the first two being easy and cheap to get to 99 with minimal barriers to acquisition. OaT GSWD and Kano are both considered more then acceptable weapons @99. Kano is probably the only one that needs a 2nd thought due to the limitations of Shoha in a super buffed situation.
    (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

If they crush the 85 versions, how do they fare against the lv90 versions? Lv90 empys are a lot more common than 95+ after all, and it is what you'll "usually" see in VW pickups.

If TPbonus Kanto and oa2 GS is as good as lv90 empys, then my recommendation is stronger than I initially thought.
    (0)

Character
    Paddycakes
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Very good suggestions thank you. I figured it would have to be either drg drk or sam but i wanted to hear what others had to say about it.

All i want to do with this DD is do VW, merit, and some other silly things like missions and such. So its really hard for me to justify spending 50% or more of my playtime everyday to soloing/duoing an emp wep instead of having fun. An emp weapon wouldnt be an issue if any of the reasons i posted above didnt apply.
    (0)
    Last edited by Fishyface; 02-19-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    If they crush the 85 versions, how do they fare against the lv90 versions? Lv90 empys are a lot more common than 95+ after all, and it is what you'll "usually" see in VW pickups.

If TPbonus Kanto and oa2 GS is as good as lv90 empys, then my recommendation is stronger than I initially thought.
    The 99 OaT GS easily beats Cada @90. Reso is a 100% STR WS so the OaT's lower DMG value doesn't impact it nearly as much as people think. The 40~45% (think the proc rate goes up at 99) proc rate means it's building TP like crazy which turns you into a Reso spamming machine.

The Kano is a "it depends" situation. 99 Kano will put out really big shoha's but doesn't have access to Fudo which has higher fTP. Shoha has an attack bonus which becomes useless once your packing six to eight songs with chaos and fighters. So really a 90 Masa and 99 Kano are about even depending on the fight and buffs. 95+ Masa beats 99 Kano and 99 Amano beats the 99 Kano.
    (2)
    Last edited by saevel; 02-19-2013 at 03:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Player
    Easiest is probably DRK. OAT GS is great at 99 with not a ton of investment so even if you change your mind on what you want to do, you will not feel like you wasted to much time. Your TP set should probably look like...

OATGS/PoleG/-----/FireB
    AF3+2/Ranco/Bruta/BaleE
    AF3+2/AF3+2/Rajas/?????
    Athel/Goadin/Calme/Ace's

That will be a good enough TP set to put you at the same level as most Emp/Relic DDs in VW. As for WS just 5/5 Resolution and then stack on STR for your WS set and your good to go. Some of the best STR pieces to get easily are Heafoc Hands and your AF3+2 Legs/Feet, also the best Neck/Belt for Reso is Soil so make sure you get them. With all of that you will be fine to do VW, or really most endgame. I myself use gear very similar to what I am telling you and out DD most DDs I come across in VW.
    (1)

Character
    Paddycakes
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Lots of insightful posts here thank you! Ive scoured ffxiah for these kind of answers and it seems to be high treason over there to suggest anything but e/r/m ONRY.
    (1)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast