Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    If Steam is forcing the update that breaks everything, I'd like to point out that you can start FFXI without Steam, by going in the appropriate folder and directly starting polboot.exe, Steam does nothing else.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Player
    I will run the file checks now. Something I forgot to mention in the first post that someone else mentioned is that my password was also coming up as being incorrect. I didn't mention it because I thought I genuinely might have forgotten my password, but obviously not as it seems to be happening to other people.

Does anyone actually know what this update even is? There's no information on Steam or literally anywhere else on the internet.
    (0)

Player
    Have done the file checks. 0 problems with POL, 1430 with FFXI. I try to repair the files and it gives me a message saying "Version Update Communication Error", error code POL-1158.
    (0)

Character
    Herrstarr
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 10
    Bump, same error here, was playing early morning, log off for work, come back. Try to run the game through windower (Nothing happens, so I am sat here thinking whats wrong?!) Boot up steam and find a small half gig update, once i did that I could get into the game (Launching from steam OR windower), When attempting to actually boot the game in either play online viewer just crashes upon booting FFXI. Ran file check now, 35 or so corrupt files with play online viewer, and now 1300 or so roughly files corrupt in FFXI, going to take almost 2 hours to reinstall those corrupt files.

NO idea if this will work after file check, I do not run the game through steam anyway, and run the game through windower(Stand alone booter, lets you play in proper window mode, doesn't crash when u tab out etc). Once I've done updating I'll attempt to run the game in the original steam way, and also through windower and get back to you all.

UPDATE: After verifying FFXI/Playonline files I booted through windower and it worked fine (You'll have to re apply the XI View Icons/Fonts etc (if you use them) as the update/verify does replace them. Hope everyone else can fix theirs. steam sux!
    (0)
    Last edited by Herrstarr; 02-16-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Volspa
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 60
    Me and bout 5 of my mates had the same problem yesterday.

I could load fine striaght from steamapps folder, cant this morning as files have magically dissapeared

Now they can play and i cant

w...t...f
    (0)

Character
    Spirachub
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I did what the POL notice said of removing my POL folder and let steam redownload it, managed to get in game but it seems like the ffxi game folder also got "updated" and the graphics are all messed up - my mog house looked like a massive open space, persumably because the DAT files got reverted. from the title screen it looks like it has went into a pre-abyssea version

Now doing the file check everyone suggested on this thread to see if it'll update itself ; ; If not i guess it's a wipe and reinstall procedure - thanks steam!
    (0)

Character
    Omachi
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Same here Spira, though if I remember rightly, you can backup the files elsewhere, wipe, then copy the files back over to save on the patching.
    (0)

Character
    Spirachub
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Omachi View Post
    Same here Spira, though if I remember rightly, you can backup the files elsewhere, wipe, then copy the files back over to save on the patching.
    After you said that i remembered I archived my ffxi yesterday night (this is my 2nd computer that has done this to me XD..), so I copied the files back like you said and it works now
    (0)

Character
    Reddfield
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I have tried the 'solution' to this but still can't log into the viewer; my password is always 'incorrect'. Have tried changing it again through the management site and still haven't heard from customer support.

EDIT: Got email from support in my alt email folder, followed steps and finally managed to log in. Now waiting on updating...
    (0)
    Last edited by Redfield; 02-17-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast