Player

Need help for screen resolution thingies.

ok, so I am back, and obviously have a larger screen, i fiddled with config a bit to get it to look ok in window mode, but I fail.

I would like the game to be full on my monitor (windowed for looking up stuff).

My main screen resolution is 1920/1200, i am not all wanting things to be super small or anything like that.

I just see these three options in the config Overylay, menu and graphic.

What would be the bests size for me? It's been annoying fiddling with it and having like super fat characters, or too thin, or not filling my screen at all.

Please help
    (0)

You need to select the aspect ratio in the ingame configuration. You'll just have to use a calculator and check which of the options is closest to the resolution you're using. If you run the game at windowed mode in 1920x1080, then you need to select 16:9. If you run it at 1680x1050, you need to set it to 16:10, and so on. Just divide the resolution and look at the number you get, then divide the aspect ratio numbers the same way to see which one is closest. The windowed resolution I use is 1440x864, which is closest to 15:9.

How big you want the user interface to be isn't something we can decide, so you'll just have to try things until you find a size that fits you. Personally, I have no problems with the UI size at 1920x1200.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-16-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo.

Character
    Loth
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 39
    Basically what Mirage said, except you do want to chose 16:10 as that is the aspect ration of 1920x1200.

Also, depending on your graphics card, but you might want to adjust the background resolution to match (or go beyond) your screen resolution.

A good write-up of how to do this can be found here.

My resolution is 1920x1080 (meaning my aspect ration is 16:9) and I have the background resolution set to 3840x2160 (and everything else maxed out), and even at this setting my graphics card spend most of its time in 2d settings, meaning it is in a powered down state.
    (0)

Oh yes, I noticed my typo now. I meant to say 16:9 if your windowed resolution was 1920x1080, not 16:10.

Background resolution does not have an impact on whether your characters look "fat" or not. Only the foreground resolution combined with the ingame aspect ratio setting affects this. Background resolution is what the 3D and graphical effects will be rendered at, and whatever this is will be stretched to fit the foreground res. If your bg res is lower than gf res, the graphics will become blockier, however, they will require less resources. If you increase it higher than the fg res, the game will be smoothened out, and you will get a super-sampling effect. This causes polygon edges to appear less jagged. This makes the game look better but requires more resources.

Background res doesn not have to be follow the aspect ratio of your fg res. For example, you can choose 2048x2048 as bg, even if your gf is 1920x1080. Personally, I prefer the bg res to be a multiple of the fg res, so that the edge smoothing is applied uniformly over my entire picture.

Right now, I am using a display driver tool that forces hardware antialiasing even if the game does not normally support this. to make this work, i need to run the game at the same bg res as my fg res. I'm not sure if I would recommend this driver tool, as it does introduce graphical glitches here and there, even if it does manage to apply antialiasing.
    (0)

Player
    thanks for the help guys, but I'm horrible at math, I just want it load windows, almost like fullscreen, and an un-ugly shape or size of menu and my characters. ;.;
    (0)

Just use a calculator. It's not as much about maths as it is to input the numbers in the right order.

Divide the first number of your resolution by the second, then check which number you get. Then do the same with the aspect ratio settings and select the one that is the closest.

If you want to fill most of your 1920x1200 screen, I suggest 1920x1080 as your game's foreground and background resolution. This is exactly 16:9 so then you just select this in the ingame options.
    (0)