Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99

Geomancer weapon options

So, judging from the currently available pictures for GEO, it seems like they are wielding some derivative of a club, though they mentioned GEOs are going to specialize in being santas Smilebringers. This can either mean two things. GEO is getting it's own meritable weapon category known as bells, or the easier option (which I naturally find more likely) the bells become a sub-category of clubs.

It already exists and would probably make some things considerably easier. Swords have BLU using Sapara. Clubs have WHM/PLD using Mauls. Marksmanship is split between crossbows and guns. You get the point. I have a feeling GEOs are going to have high club skill and use stat-enhancing bell-type clubs. But that isn't all.

All jobs have a sub-category of weapon. GEO having access to elemental magic spells naturally opens it to the possibility of staves, just from being a mage. I don't want another staff user! Well... I do to save on inventory space... but they're boring and used by everyone (for good reason naturally). In addition to the perpetual staff possibility, GEOs primary weapon is a club, a stat/ability enhancing club at that. Does this mean two bells are better than one? Is /NIN, /DNC a standard sub or will it too get native dual wield? DEV TEAM: For this last statement, I vote yes so I can have a useful sub. If not, please don't forget to add GEO friendly shields, or you may see the price of everything related to Genbu jump.

Options options options. Yours?

Also, don't bother with relic/mythic/empy discussion. SE shmishes your hopes and dreams. I hear there is still a party at the K-club though.
    (1)
    Last edited by Delvish; 02-10-2013 at 11:05 AM.
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    For some reason I assumed that bells would work like bard instruments and go in the ranged slot. I thought the teaser images were showing a new type of club GEO could use as a separate item, but that new type wouldn't actually be the bells. Thinking about it more though, your idea makes more sense.

I've said I can't stand the idea of actually fighting with a bell. But honestly I do like the designs of whatever the GEOs are wielding in the teaser pics. So if bells work the way you're suggesting and that's what we're seeing, I guess that wouldn't be so bad.

One thing that could support your hypotheses would be the absence of any additional skill where "Bell" would go in the dats. They already added the ???? placeholder for Geomancy magic skill, from what I've read on BG. But I don't recall reading about an additional combat skill, or any additional magic skills (like BRD instrument skills fall under magic) found in the dats that would be only for bells. Based on that it's very possible bells will be visible weapons and a subset of clubs like you said.
    (1)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Hmmm... I had avoided the Handbell link on the Seekers "New Jobs" page, but just took a look at it.

The picture is most definitely displaying a traditional bell looking object, very different than the clubby looking things from the other images. Also, it mentions "Polishing one's skill in the handbell makes it possible to enhance the effects of geomancy spells."

That sounds a lot more like a separate skill and separate weapon.
    (0)

Player
    Also, it mentions "Polishing one's skill in the handbell makes it possible to enhance the effects of geomancy spells."

That sounds a lot more like a separate skill and separate weapon.
    or that could mean they make the whole comand "/bell tone" system usefull for the job.
    get a melody or resonance to boost your buff or whatever.
    ring high to accuracy or low for attack, etc...
    (0)

Character
    Eerica
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Only by taking hold of a handbell can geomancers unlock the full potential of their magical munitions. Polishing one's skill in the handbell makes it possible to enhance the effects of geomancy spells.
    This totally sounds like BRD's instruments. Without a bell (in the ranged or maybe sub slot) you will be able to cast Geomancy spell like a BRD is capable of casting songs without an instrument, they'll just be gimped in one way or another.

The orange looking things wielded by GEOs in the artworks are new models of clubs, not bells.
    (1)

Character
    Mordru
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Imakun View Post
    This totally sounds like BRD's instruments. Without a bell (in the ranged or maybe sub slot) you will be able to cast Geomancy spell like a BRD is capable of casting songs without an instrument, they'll just be gimped in one way or another.

The orange looking things wielded by GEOs in the artworks are new models of clubs, not bells.
    Yeah like I said the pictures on the website, along with "Polishing one's skill" are making me go with my original assumption that bells will work like bard instruments.

I'm interested in Calysto's comment too - if the bells will not just be passive equipment like instruments that just add stats, skill or potency. Maybe we'll actually have to use a command for the bells. Although I don't care to actually see the bell, this will be interesting to me. I'm hoping the job will be continually active. The small nukes in addition to using the bell command could fill in the gaps between raising auras and running around.
    (0)

Character
    Trumpy
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    I cant recall where i read it but i believe it was said bells would be like bard instruments and they either said it or it was just from the pictures of the funny lookin clubs would be their weapons (that are not bells).
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Merton9999 View Post
    Yeah like I said the pictures on the website, along with "Polishing one's skill" are making me go with my original assumption that bells will work like bard instruments.

I'm interested in Calysto's comment too - if the bells will not just be passive equipment like instruments that just add stats, skill or potency. Maybe we'll actually have to use a command for the bells. Although I don't care to actually see the bell, this will be interesting to me. I'm hoping the job will be continually active. The small nukes in addition to using the bell command could fill in the gaps between raising auras and running around.
    I'd prefer them to be weapons that use unique stats -- like INT or CHR -- instead of STR and ATK to deal damage. Geomancer in FFTA used bells as attack weapons. I'd like something like that. Maybe low base damage but high proc additional effects?
    (0)