Thread: First!

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeonk View Post
    Supposedly RNF is supposed to be better than PLD at magic tanking. I'd love to see them beat Aegis, but a new job has a lot of potential.

that said, I seriously doubt they'd put all of these useful abilities below 49. It might work marginally better than /RDM for magic dmg tanking, but they're not going to put Aegis-trumping abilities being accessable by a sub. Would kill the job long before it came out (and further screw up the balance of tanking as it is now)
    I think RNF is supposed to be great at magic defense and augment Paladin as a sub. I don't realy see how else they are going to put Defense tanking back on the mark without doing something with RNF that makes them both viable. I expect RNF will do something like have a trait that converts half damage to Magic damage and allows for additional mitigation through Magic Resistance, which as a sub would instantly make both it and Paladin capable of withstanding great amounts of damage.

A trait that converts damage taken from an enemy into enmity from that enemy would be useful and logical as well -- but I've come up with "that makes too much sense for it to be something SE thought of" stuff before.

If the problem with defense right now is that it works similarly to other stats (after a point it stops having an effect) then the only real practical answer is to either fix the upper limit of Defense (which they have yet to do after years and years of knowing its a problem) or give abilities that allow you to lower the incoming numbers below those limits to increase the effectiveness -- and making RNF Paladin's equal, but in terms of magic defense vs. physical defense and then giving them an ability they can share to split the damage between the two types of defense (maybe based on whichever is higher?) would be a lot of sense.

Meanwhile, it wouldn't be useful to DNC or NIN tanks because they don't have enough magic defense to make it worth converting their physical damage to magical damage -- basically making RNF a PLD only sub.

Though, then that might open a weird door for White Mages, depending on how much you could convert.
    (0)
    Last edited by Horadrim; 02-12-2013 at 05:36 AM.

Character
    Dhragon
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    I was going to rant but decided to just make my point instead.

Not every Pld has an Aegis. It's highly possible that the purpose of this job is to fill the role of "the tank for magic using targets", for small groups and such. We'll have to see what they share with us, when they finally give us a bit more details (like they did for Geo). But just like Pld was used for tanking certain types of enemies (back in the day), Rnf could be the same thing, just for the other side of the damage types.
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhragon View Post
    I was going to rant but decided to just make my point instead.

Not every Pld has an Aegis. It's highly possible that the purpose of this job is to fill the role of "the tank for magic using targets", for small groups and such. We'll have to see what they share with us, when they finally give us a bit more details (like they did for Geo). But just like Pld was used for tanking certain types of enemies (back in the day), Rnf could be the same thing, just for the other side of the damage types.
    Well yeah.

Would be nice to see them use it to help PLD get back into being used for more things though. I mean, I hope Adoulin endgame requires PLDs and RNFs over NIN's, RDMs, and DNCs.
    (1)

Character
    Iocus
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Horadrim View Post
    Well yeah.

Would be nice to see them use it to help PLD get back into being used for more things though. I mean, I hope Adoulin endgame requires PLDs and RNFs over NIN's, RDMs, and DNCs.
    I think you meant perfect defense from SMNs, but OK I guess we can be discriminatory to 3 of the worst jobs in the current end game. Lol at least PLD can super tank. What does NIN, DNC, or RDM bring to legion or NNI or an ADL fight?

If you want PLD to be good again, ask for it to be good again. Don't assume that a new sub job that will possibly make it even more defensive than it already is will make PLDs viable in a game that doesn't have a working hate system? It's not nice to cannibalize a job for it's subjob. Go ask RDM.

Also this isn't the PLD forums. That's over there.

If you want to talk about how nice it would be to have a 2H magic tank that might actually keep hate and what cool things that the jobs (not subjob) would have access to, it might be a good place to start.

I'm still not entirely sure what to make of Rune Fencer's gear selection. Great Sword and NOT heavy armor? Curious if it will be Light or Cloth or if they will just get their own armor class. I think it was confirmed they will have Enhancing magic and an MP pool. No Relic or Empy access. Is going to be a strange duck.
    (3)
    Last edited by ManaKing; 02-18-2013 at 01:52 AM.
    I'm a RequieSCAT-MAN!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2