Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

Revamp the way we gain experience points

I don't know about you, but I do kinda miss grinding jobs up to 75, playing my job, and learning how to play. It was repetitive and infuriating at times, but it reinforced the use of the job and n00bs, though they still existed, were hard to create. You had to really work at being a n00b.

Now all one has to do is level to 30 then pay a fell cleaver 300k gill to power level them to 99. As a result, our game is flooded with n00bs power leveled mostly by RMT's and the basic xp system is meaningless.

But I have an idea. Change the way xp is attained by relating it to the effort you contribute to the fight, such as how much damage you've done, how much hp you healed your party, and how many buffs/debuffs you put on/take off. This would force everyone to engage in the fight. Hmmm... This sounds familiar... Campaign! Implement the same xp mechanism in campaign for regular xp. This would force n00bs to go play their jobs if they want decent xp.

Like this post if you agree so the devs will take notice.
    (5)

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    And Arcon, you can't comment! Just kidding feel free to connect this to my job as a bst as you wish. :-D
    (0)

Character
    Dreamin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Why do people still thinks PL makes bad players?? IMO, a bad players will always be bad players regardless of how they get their levels???

And xp grinding the old pre-abyssea days doesn't make ppl 'learn' their job. I know plenty of bad players who were bad even from back then. The good players will be good whether they grind to 99 or they leech to 99. They understands that to be good, it's a combinations of spending the time to skillup/cap the various skills, gearing properly (appropriately), and KNOWING what each job entails and how to use them in commbinations in different situations.

You know why we have Noobs. We have Noobs because they're lazy and they dont/wont listen to what 'successful' players tells them. They won't do their researches and dont ask questions. THAT is why you have a bunch of NOOBS running all over the place across all servers. There are NOOBS from both Abyssea leech as well as outside XP grind all over the place if you just look.
    (11)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin View Post
    Why do people still thinks PL makes bad players?? IMO, a bad players will always be bad players regardless of how they get their levels???
    PL doesn't just make bad players, it makes it easy for them to be bad. Being a bad player should punish you from 1 to 99, and being bad enough was enough to get bad player -out- of playing FFXI when it was actually an effort to get to the top.

And xp grinding the old pre-abyssea days doesn't make ppl 'learn' their job. I know plenty of bad players who were bad even from back then. The good players will be good whether they grind to 99 or they leech to 99. They understands that to be good, it's a combinations of spending the time to skillup/cap the various skills, gearing properly (appropriately), and KNOWING what each job entails and how to use them in commbinations in different situations.
    So do I. Then again, I also knew a helluva lot fewer of them that made it to the top because the process of leveling up let them build up a horrid, well-deserved reputation of suck- and people stopped inviting them to exp. It meant bad players had a slower path to the endgame, and that meant some of them simply dropped out of gameplay.

Now you have a legion of mouthbreathers happy to ding 99 and screw around.

The level-up process was a noob filter. Now it's gone, and the noobs are running around at the top, manuring up the place. I've got no problems for making it easier to level your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 22nd job after you cap the first one- which IMHO is what Abyssea's exp-o-rama was really addressing, and did it poorly by giving too much.

Cap Abyssea entry to 70-75 or so where a player can actually fight and give some gameplay back to the earlier levels.
    (1)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    The level-up process was a noob filter. Now it's gone, and the noobs are running around at the top, manuring up the place.
    Bad players are easy to spot if you look past their levels... For instance, I saw a level 92 DRG in a worm party wearing the augmented Dom Ops gear, this was a bad player, no gear swaps at all, wearing this gear. If they were a good player they would have been using Perle, yes, Perle, because at 92 if you did not have the seals for the job Perle is a great set with Haste and at least some stats for TPing, where as the gear he had on had nothing. AF3+2 is not to hard to get, but bad players full time full AF3+2, easy to spot yet again, a WAR TPing and WSing in full AF3+2 is a bad player, easily spotted. You will not often come across well geared bad players, only a few of them can get good gear and actually copy the gear of others well enough to look like they know the job, and if they get that far then fail, you can easily add them to the small list of bad players with good gear, and no longer invite them.

The ability to filter out the bad from the good still exists, it just takes slightly more work on your part.
    (3)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Bad players are easy to spot if you look past their levels...
    Then let's make it so they no longer get to those levels in the first place.

Put more soloing test barriers in the way of content and don't have an "easy button" like Maat WHM fight to get around them.

Bad players in bad gear don't get in, good players pass those tests and progress.
    (1)

Player

Put more soloing test barriers in the way of content and don't have an "easy button" like Maat WHM fight to get around them.

Bad players in bad gear don't get in, good players pass those tests and progress.
    So rather than take an extra minute to examine the gear of someone you invite, you would rather just make everyone go back to the old slow way of leveling. I can tell you now, I only have 4 jobs left to level, PUP, SMN, RNG, and DRG. If I had to level them the old way, these jobs would never be touched, I liked the old way of xp when it was here, since then I have stopped liking it, not because its easy, but because I want to play the job at the end, not where it starts. There are many more interesting and tricky parts to a job at the end of the leveling experience than at the beginning, and I play for those parts at the end. Going back to old xp is not something I ever want to do, I would much rather just have to take an extra few minutes to check the gear of people I have never seen or heard of before.

Take into account how many good players do not want to level slowly for all of their jobs, or even take more than a few days. I have little time as it is, let alone the time it would take to go out and level an entirely new job up over the course of a week or 2 so that I can play it, and maybe not even like it.

The only real 'idiot filter' you need, is your eyes, I can spot a bad player as soon as I check them, sometimes it is less clear than others, but often it makes itself apparent. Full timing +2, using the wrong gear when you have access to the right gear, missing basic gear that all players should have simply because they do not think its worth it. Want examples? I know of a THF who has full Thaumas, but TPs in Oce/Toci's, I know another with full Thaumas who did not even have Brutal, Suppa, or Rajas, and another who has a Mandau who TPs in +2 Hands rather than Bregos, used to not have a Brutal, and uses Phasmida instead of Twilight even on mobs where the EVA/Acc is not needed. These are examples of players who have good gear putting it to shame because they use the wrong gear or are missing key important gear. Easy to spot with a 1 time use of /check.
    (5)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    So rather than take an extra minute to examine the gear of someone you invite, you would rather just make everyone go back to the old slow way of leveling.
    Wait a second. What on earth does having Maat-style fights set up to be 1v1 tests of a player have to do with reverting to oldschool exping?

I want players to have to test themselves and themselves alone against an opponent in FFXI. Succeed and you can continue along in content. Fail, and you keep trying until you succeed or give up. Along the toughness level of the RDM Maat fight- you make a mistake, you get punished. Two is likely enough to cause a loss, and three is fatal. Nobody else gets to tow you through it. No items that weaken the opponent ala rarab tails. No "easy mode" based on what job you bring. No party to carry you through the fight. Bring whatever medicines and such along you think will help, but that's it.

At that point, we don't even need gear checks. Competent players at their jobs will exceed those barriers, incompetent ones will not and never get into the endgame events in question to begin with.

Take into account how many good players do not want to level slowly for all of their jobs, or even take more than a few days. I have little time as it is, let alone the time it would take to go out and level an entirely new job up over the course of a week or 2 so that I can play it, and maybe not even like it.
    As I've said before, I think giving an exp bonus for any job you've capped (heck, even a lesser one for jobs you've taken 50+) that stacks would be awesome. Put it on a ring ala the Emperor/Empress bands as an enhancement you can opt to cast on yourself when you desire, and there you go.
    (0)

Player
    Wait a second. What on earth does having Maat-style fights set up to be 1v1 tests of a player have to do with reverting to oldschool exping?
    That is not proposing Maat-style fights, thats suggesting slower xp, which is why I made that entire comment about going back to slow xp. Checking someone's gear to see how good or bad they are at a certain job or overall is not that hard, and gives you the same, or better, results. I personally like how things are now, I have an easy time telling who is doing good and who is not, at the same time, I am not in any way potentially being negatively effected by the game attempting to correct the skill level of players who make it to a certain level by the time they reach said level.

So far as Maat-style fights, I think every job should have a second fight similar to Maat where you get a piece of gear that is powerful for the job, powerful enough it is not easily replaced. If you wanted to really check the skill of a player in that case you could simply ask them to show the gear to you, so that you know they have it, and passed the test. I am talking about a piece of gear for each job like a Mythic, which would boost abilities, traits, or some type of stats that would directly impact the job in a powerful way that is nearly impossible to replace, and useful enough to bother going after. Some of these would be easier to make than others, but in reality we have items somewhat like this to begin with already.

Black Belt and Evoker's Ring are 2 items like this, where they are exceptionally powerful and are made for only a single job. If gear like this were made but it came from a level 99 version of the Maat fight but without any handicaps or any other party members it would add special gear that would show a certain level of skill as well as benefiting all players who can obtain it, not simply showing an artificial level of skill. Also the fact it is job specific means it would not have an easy job to do it with where you get all of the benefits, such as the WHM Maat fight, where you can breeze through it, and all jobs benefit from the victory.

I would like to think that idea would solve your problems, and give players something unique they could use as well, something that would benefit the entire community of people able to obtain the items, rather than just give you the ability to better discern bad players from good players.
    (2)

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    As I've said before, I think giving an exp bonus for any job you've capped (heck, even a lesser one for jobs you've taken 50+) that stacks would be awesome. Put it on a ring ala the Emperor/Empress bands as an enhancement you can opt to cast on yourself when you desire, and there you go.
    That will have it's own set of issues. If you pop your ring and no one else does, you will level faster than everyone and ruin their exp. Even if they all decide they want to exp. fast like you, You will also out grow camps super fast making it so that instead of spending time fighting, you will spend most of your time traveling to different camps (which has nothing to do with gaining exp. or learning your job). There are already a lot of people who have most of their jobs leveled beyond a certain point, which means that you will probably have to level synch. Which means that people won't be learning anything about their abilities as they level up because they will be capped to a lower level and unable to access them.

I could go on for days, but I think you get the point. Low level experience points parties are pretty much a thing of the past. The only way that form of leveling will ever be relevant again is if SE somehow creates a huge influx of new players coming into the game that are attracted to the game because of this newly introduced feature that allows them to level at a rate that is 10 times slower than the one that all the current players got to use. Who knows though. Maybe pigs can fly.
    (1)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast