Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39

Can anyone explain why I keep overloading?

Hey guys level 58 now, and man I overloading like mad. Even when I only cast two say water maneuvers it happens. Can anyone explain what I need to do to not overload so much? Thanks...

P.S. I do cast a lot of say water or whatever man I need to help out. For exmample. I use water alot to help with my Auto's mana> Grant it not 3 in a row but like 2 then another man then water agian when I am able. SO maybe its because I cast to much of one element?
    (0)
    Last edited by Artaniss; 02-07-2013 at 07:38 AM.

Player
    Pup is a really -really- flawed job. I love pup, don't get me wrong, but if you -ever- use back to back same maneuver, you're going to overload every single time.

Rotate them, use every overload piece of gear possible (neck hands body which you can't really get yet)

Try never to use water > water, but use water > earth > light (example) > back to water. Keeping up 2 of the same element realistically requires the JA cooldown. @ 95. or the DAD method. Deactivate > Activate > Deactivate to keep heat at 0.
    (0)

Character
    Zijder
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Depending on your gear and macros its quite possible to to use 3+ of the same maneuver in a row. At 58 you should be macroing in at least Puppetry Dastanas and the Buffoons Collar (no need for +1) for every maneuver. For heavily used maneuvers Ice and Wind in particular you may want to consider macroing in +stat pieces to boost your stats above that of your puppet (keeping in mind that each maneuver increases your puppets stats). As long as your stat is higher than your puppets you have less chance to overload (less burden per maneuver) this is where our odd gear selection comes in handy for an INT/ice maneuver build.

You should read up on overload (http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Overload) but the short version is
    • wait about 2 minutes after activating or zoning before spamming maneuvers if you can
    • macro in overload gear for each maneuver
    • make a +stat set if you find you overload a lot on a particular maneuver
    • try to cycle your maneuver to give time for your burden to cool down
    • try to space your maneuvers every 15-20s apart
    • equip condenser and/or heatsink
    As an aside, why are you using water to help with mana? Do you mean dark maneuvers?
    (5)

Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39
    I have power cooler which reduces man point cost, mana booster, loud speaker, which I believe are all water. Although it doesn't say to use water in attachment description but I just assumed that it would help more if water was activated. Please let me know if I am wrong. which is very possible due to me being new Thanks...
    (0)

Character
    Dreamin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Not every attachment requires the corresponding maneuver to activate it. So just get to know which one does and try to stack it along with the other maneuvers and just alternate them.

For example, to keep 1x regen (light) and 2x refresh (dark), I just do: Dark -> Light -> Dark -> Wait til 1st maneuvers wear and then reapply. You can still get the occasional overload from no good reasons but it's a much less chance of happening. And do pay attention to what Telford stated above.
    (0)

Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39
    HOw ca I tell which attachment requires a maneuver to activate it. The one that I have doesn't say it requires a maneuver but does display 2x water symbols showing that it takes up 2x that element but I thought by still using water it would make it work better. Please let me know. Thanks...
    (0)

Character
    Dreamin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    If you look at: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ca...on_Attachments

this will list the ones that requires maneuver in the descriptions.

As for the 2x water symbol, I think you're talking about 'elemental capacity' of that attachment which is how much of certain elemental capacity it will cost to be equipped on your pet. Basically, each Head+Body Frame will give you a number of different elemental capacity that you can use for your attachments.
    (1)

Character
    Zijder
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Most attachments work without its corresponding maneuver, and you're right the more maneuvers of the same element that are active the more powerful the attachments get. Such as the tension spring, with no fire maneuvers you get 3% more attack, with every subsequent fire maneuver active you get an additional 3% attack.

Other attachments require or consume maneuvers for them to work, they are:
    Fire Attachments
    Flame Holder
    Heat Capacitor
    Reactive Shield
    Strobe

Ice Attachments
    Ice Maker

Wind Attachments
    Barrage Turbine
    Replicator
    Pattern Reader**

Earth Attachments
    Hammermill
    Schurzen
    Shock Absorber
    Hammermill*

Thunder Attachments
    Heat Seeker
    Volt Gun

Water Attachments
    Condenser

Light Attachments
    Auto-Repair Kit/Auto-Repair Kit II***
    Eraser
    Flashbulb
    Vivi-Valve

Dark Attachments
    Disruptor
    Economizer
    Mana Converter
    Mana Tank/Mana Tank II***

*Shield Bash damage is increased without maneuvers but an earth maneuver is required for the slow proc.

**thought to behave like the heat seeker

***The repair kits and mana tanks will increase your puppets max HP/MP without maneuvers by using their respective maneuvers you get a regen/refresh effect.

Update: sweetidealism pointed out that volt gun does work without without a maneuver and on closer inspection found a few more attachments that require one.
    (0)
    Last edited by Telford; 02-12-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39
    So the ones that just show the elemental capacity and nothing else does not require a maneuver. But if I do use a maneuver matching the element on the attachment it makes it stronger? For example: Percolator has 2x water elemental capacity but does not display that you have to use a water man. to activate it, but if I do use water the skill gain would be greater then if I had no water man. up correct?
    (0)

Character
    Zijder
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    That's right, the more maneuvers you use the stronger the effect for most attachments. But I think you're a bit confused about the elemental capacities. Every attachment has an element and a elemental capacity. The element determines what maneuver will affect it, so in your example since the percolator is a water attachment, using more water maneuvers will increase the skill up rate (although we still don't know the exact numbers yet). The elemental capacity is how much space it takes up in your automaton and nothing else, this is to prevent you from loading up on all fire attachments for instance.

I like to think of it as you have 12 slots in your automaton for attachments and each head/frame have a different number of elemental connectors/wires that have to be plugged into the attachments for them to work, so a percolator takes up one attachment slot and two water connectors.
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast