Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Character
    Tetsujin
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Karah View Post
    Pup is a really -really- flawed job. I love pup, don't get me wrong, but if you -ever- use back to back same maneuver, you're going to overload every single time.

Rotate them, use every overload piece of gear possible (neck hands body which you can't really get yet)

Try never to use water > water, but use water > earth > light (example) > back to water. Keeping up 2 of the same element realistically requires the JA cooldown. @ 95. or the DAD method. Deactivate > Activate > Deactivate to keep heat at 0.
    You absolutely don't need Cooldown unless you want 3 in a row; I've done back-to-back maneuvers since I've had my buffoon's collar way back at the beginning. It's true though, rotating is extremely helpful for keeping your heat levels low.

Also, the DAD method *does not* reset your burden to 0. Every time you Activate your automaton it will begin with a large amount of burden on each element such that a single maneuver can put you into overload. Always be cautious when you DAD your auto.

Edit: As for advice to the new PUP - If you have three maneuvers up and you want to refresh them, it's good practice to wait until the previous one expires before putting up the next. This is because the time it takes for a maneuver to wear off is roughly the same as the time it takes for that maneuver's burden to cool down. This way, you're maintaining equilibrium rather than building burden. Your overload rate will drastically decrease if you do this. Of course, best advice of all is to not get too impatient with maneuvers.
    (1)
    Last edited by Tetsujin; 02-09-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Character
    Lumei
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Telford View Post
    Most attachments work without its corresponding maneuver, and you're right the more maneuvers of the same element that are active the more powerful the attachments get. Such as the tension spring, with no fire maneuvers you get 3% more attack, with every subsequent fire maneuver active you get an additional 3% attack.

Other attachments require or consume maneuvers for them to work, they are (I might be missing one or two):
    Fire Attachments
    Flame Holder
    Heat Capacitor
    Reactive Shield
    Strobe

Ice Attachments
    Ice Maker

Wind Attachments
    Barrage Turbine
    Replicator

Earth Attachments
    Hammermill
    Schurzen
    Shock Absorber

Thunder Attachments
    Volt Gun

Water Attachments
    Condenser

Light Attachments
    Auto-Repair Kit/Auto-Repair Kit II*
    Eraser
    Flashbulb

Dark Attachments
    Disruptor
    Economizer
    Mana Converter
    Mana Tank/Mana Tank II*

*The repair kits and mana tanks will increase your puppets max HP/MP without maneuvers by using their respective maneuvers you get a regen/refresh effect.
    Incidentally, Volt Gun does work without active thunder maneuvers, but it's proc rate will be fairly low and it won't be as potent when it does proc.
    (0)

Character
    Zijder
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetidealism View Post
    Incidentally, Volt Gun does work without active thunder maneuvers, but it's proc rate will be fairly low and it won't be as potent when it does proc.
    Egads you're right! Not having used the attachment since I started playing pup I assumed it worked like the reactive shield. After actually looking at all the attachment pages I found a few I missed so updated my post, thanks sweetidealism.
    (1)

Character
    Emaleth
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsujin View Post
    You absolutely don't need Cooldown unless you want 3 in a row; I've done back-to-back maneuvers since I've had my buffoon's collar way back at the beginning. It's true though, rotating is extremely helpful for keeping your heat levels low.

Also, the DAD method *does not* reset your burden to 0. Every time you Activate your automaton it will begin with a large amount of burden on each element such that a single maneuver can put you into overload. Always be cautious when you DAD your auto.

Edit: As for advice to the new PUP - If you have three maneuvers up and you want to refresh them, it's good practice to wait until the previous one expires before putting up the next. This is because the time it takes for a maneuver to wear off is roughly the same as the time it takes for that maneuver's burden to cool down. This way, you're maintaining equilibrium rather than building burden. Your overload rate will drastically decrease if you do this. Of course, best advice of all is to not get too impatient with maneuvers.
    iirc, there was Overload testing done that suggests burden doesn't decay until after a maneuver expires. For matching elements, anyway. Shouldn't be a problem if you're just using one of different types, in any situation.

Also, @OP: Overloading is really only terrible if you aren't properly gearing for it. At 99, it's almost non-existant. I can Activate/DEA and put up maneuvers immediately with no risk. You just need Buffoon's collar, Puppetry dastanas, and AF3 body. Power through it, and you'll be okay once you get to the higher levels.
    (3)

Quote Originally Posted by Artaniss View Post
    I have power cooler which reduces man point cost, mana booster, loud speaker, which I believe are all water. Although it doesn't say to use water in attachment description but I just assumed that it would help more if water was activated. Please let me know if I am wrong. which is very possible due to me being new Thanks...
    FYI, the attachments you are talking about are Ice, not water. For regular solo play with mages I'm usually on a 3 manuver spam of Ice>Light>Dark, never overload unless I have tactical processor equipped (which I only do occasionally when I want to try to see a discernable benefit to it, so far I haven't). double or triple manuvers generally aren't necessary outside a few NM/Boss battles. Water I generally only use with the percolator, but it's not really necessary.
    (1)
    Last edited by Glamdring; 02-23-2013 at 10:02 AM. Reason: incomplete

Character
    Risotto
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Pop a heatsink on there and gear swap in the PUP AF Hands and Buffoon Collar when you do a maneuver. Heatsink now reduces overload for all maneuvers instead of just fire (was changed a bit ago).

I'm a 99 pup and can triple stack maneuvers easily without overload, it takes some timing to let your puppet cool down and not do maneuvers as quick as possible, but it's easily doable, keep it up!
    (0)
    Last edited by Moppet; 03-04-2013 at 06:03 AM.

Character
    Rafien
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Moppet View Post
    Pop a heatsink on there and gear swap in the PUP AF Hands and Buffoon Collar when you do a maneuver. Heatsink now reduces overload for all maneuvers instead of just fire (was changed a bit ago).

I'm a 99 pup and can triple stack maneuvers easily without overload, it takes some timing to let your puppet cool down and not do maneuvers as quick as possible, but it's easily doable, keep it up!
    Don't forget the AF3 body+1 or +2 -- Cirque Farsetto +1 -- Reduces "Overload" rate

If you're spamming the same maneuver over and over, just use cool down when it's available and you shouldn't be overloading
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2