Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    Character
    Zubis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I think Camate should ask them so that we could find out for certain which OS it is they're using.
    Agreed, though I'm sort of enjoying this argument :P

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    It could be XP, sure, but I kind of doubt your ability to correctly analyze the more subtle differences between win7's classic skin and XP's own classic skin based on a photograph at an angle of a monitor.
    Enhance!

------------------------------------------------------------
    This is what the devs are running.

This is Windows XP in classic mode. Note how the Start Menu is a perfect match. In addition, see those icons in a rectangle that are also in the dev pic? That's called the Quick Launch bar, which is not part of Windows 7 by default.

This is Windows 7 in classic mode. Note how the Start Menu size does not match the size in the dev pic, and the size of the taskbar is bigger.

I will concede that if you run Windows 7 in classic mode, turn on small icons, and use a hack to get back the Quick Launch menu, then it'll look quite similar to the dev screenshot, but as a dev you'd have to be pretty much in love with the 90s Windows modes to do that...

Camiies is right by the way, Windows XP is still pretty popular. My own organsation of 1000 people has just decided to upgrade to Windows 7 at the end of this year.
    (3)
    Last edited by Zubis; 02-02-2013 at 02:33 PM.

Character
    Siondra
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Lots of things still run only on xp. I work for Walgreens and their entire system (pharmacy, register, ect.) is all xp based. I also worked for Gamestop and same their pos system was xp based.
    Also, seeing as how that was the system around when the game came out, there are no compatibility by continuing to program the game in xp. Vista was well known to not plat nicely with xp version things. Saves them money by not upgrading and saves time by not recoding everything each time a new version comes out.
    (0)

Player
    I don't know why its a big deal they're using XP since the game itself was designed for it.
    (1)

Character
    Thegreatmonkey
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I find it funny that this thread went from talking bout the game to what version of Windows they are running lol
    As Camiies said, XP is still popular to run. Also I must point out that SE did say they put all there money into FF14 so they might not be able to upgrade....
    (0)

that beetle foot thing? i always assumed that was intentional, since they keep adding new types of beetles and they still have a backwards foot.
    (3)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by JouriStarz View Post
    I don't know why its a big deal they're using XP since the game itself was designed for it.
    I dunno! Soon people will start complaining about "Windows XP Dev Tool Limitations" and how the game could become a fully HD game with infinite item storage and a modern UI if only the devs would upgrade to Windows 7!
    (0)

Character
    Zubis
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Windows 8 or nothing. We need touch controls for er...triggering weaknesses?

"The Kaggen readies Death Prophet! Use a finger swipe to block the attack!"

I can't think of a single reason a MMO would need touch controls.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zubis View Post
    This is Windows XP in classic mode. Note how the Start Menu is a perfect match. In addition, see those icons in a rectangle that are also in the dev pic? That's called the Quick Launch bar, which is not part of Windows 7 by default.

This is Windows 7 in classic mode. Note how the Start Menu size does not match the size in the dev pic, and the size of the taskbar is bigger.

One word: Vista

EDIT: could also be Server 2003 or 2008 as a dev platform.

I do recall seeing them using XP x64 for XIV's original development however, in spite of that game being 32-bit only. XD
    (0)
    Last edited by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo; 02-03-2013 at 01:49 AM.
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Good point. I know Vista's classic mode is very close to XP's. I still think XP is more likely though.
    (0)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    you guys do realize with just a few adjustments you can make windows 7 classic mode look exactly the same as that right?

1. first right click on the task bar and choose properties,
    2. put a check in use small icons
    3. use the drop down for task bar buttons and select Combine when full
    4. apply these changes
    5. remove all of your pinned items from the task bar
    6. right click on the task bar and choose toolbars and add new toolbar
    7. point the new toolbar to any folder and name it anything you want(quicklaunch is not there by default in windows 7 because they want you to pin things to the task bar)

once you have taken all of these steps compare it
    it looks exactly the same as windows XP classic/Windows 2000

but you are probably right it probably is windows XP
    (0)
    Last edited by wildsprite; 02-03-2013 at 04:19 AM. Reason: numbering was off, forgot a step
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast