Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

Meteor and you

Hello my fellow black mages!
    I am starting this thread as a official thread post for meteor builds, and damage. So we can collectively put out thinking caps together and help each other out.

My linkshell (FinalChapter on Carby) recently achieved that wonderful event of having 6+ black mages with Meteor, and so we did a little running amuk. Among our shenanigans for the night we did 4 KSNM 99s: Wyrm took the most damage of the three with 42k (rounded down) while Tartaruga Gigante took 37k (rounded down) in both fights, and good'ol Chlevnik took 41k (again rounded down). Most of us were similarly geared AF3+2, one member had 4/5 Nares (he did 37 more dmg then me when closing and I have 0 Nares hehe) etc.. so it got me thinking. What is the ultimate meteor build? and thus I open it up to you my fellow blms what is your Meteor build? How many Black Mages have you used Meteor with? What was your damage?
    (2)

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    First thing: I know that the Mythic is the best weapon... I think we could all agree on that for Meteor anyway, so as I do not have my blm mythic (yet) I submit to you all my current build:

Main Dorje MAB +25, Int +0
    Sub Wizzan Grip MAB +0, Int +3
    Ammo Witchstone MAB +2, Int +0

Head Src. Petasos +2 MAB +5, Int +0
    Neck Stoicheion medal MAB +8, Int +0
    L ear Strophadic earring MAB +4, Int +3
    R Ear Hecate's earring MAB +6, Int +0

Body: Goetia coat +2 MAB +11, Int +0
    Hands: Goetia gloves +2 MAB +8, Int +7
    L Ring : Strendu ring MAB +4, Int +0
    R ring: Icesoul ring MAB +0, Int +7

Back Searing cape MAB +5, Int +0
    Waist Aswang sash MAB +3, Int +0
    Legs Goetia chausses +2 MAB +7, Int +0
    Feet Goetia sabots +2 MAB +0, Int +10

Set MAB +88, Int +30
    BLM JT: MAB +40
    Total MAB +128, Int +30

And now what I have found that I think is the "Best" non-mythic weapon gear set for Meteor is:

Main Dorje MAB +25, Int +0
    Sub Wizzan Grip MAB +0, Int +3
    Ammo Witchstone MAB +2, Int +0

Head Nares cap MAB +5, Int +12
    Body Pharmakeia robe MAB +8, Int +15
    Hands Nares cuffs MAB +13, Int +0
    Legs Akasha Chaps MAB +6, Int +13
    Feet Morrigan's pgch. +1 MAB +9, Int +9

Neck Saevus pendant MAB +9, Int +0
    Back Searing cape MAB +5, Int +0
    Waist Othila sash MAB +6, Int +0

Ring Galdr ring MAB +1, Int +6
    Ring Strendu ring MAB +4, Int +0
    Ear Hecate's earring MAB +6, Int +0
    Ear Novio earring MAB +7, Int +0

Set MAB +95, Int +61
    2 peice nares Int +3
    BLM JT: MAB +40
    Total MAB +135, Int +57

What are your thoughts?

edited to add values to two items
    (0)
    Last edited by Rubicant82; 02-01-2013 at 05:45 AM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    You have +0 MAB and +0 INT erroneously listed for Searing Cape and Othila Sash, but Maniacus Sash would beat out Othila Sash anyway, since Magic Accuracy doesn't matter for Meteor. Factoring in magical crits, Nares Cap also gives a 5% critical hit rate. Also, each Elemental Skill adds 1/6 INT. You put a bit much focus on MAB over INT, which I feel could be spent better. As a Hume BLM/SCH with no merits I have 95 INT and 424 Elemental Magic skill, so added up 165.67 INT and 40 MAB. Assuming 0 MDB mobs, that gives me a mRatio of 1.4.

With your listed gear I'd have an additional 106 MAB and 61 INT and 5% CR (critical hit rate), which would bring my total INT to 226.67, my total mRatio to 2.46 and my total CR to 5%, which means Meteor would deal 1949 damage.

Maniacus Sash has MAB+7 over Othila Sash's MAB+6 and an additional CR+10%, which would increase the Meteor damage to 1965.

Goetia Mantle instead of Searing Sash:
    INT+8.17, MAB-5 => 1994

Icesoul Ring instead of Strendu Ring:
    INT+7.00, MAB-4 => 2020

Icesoul Ring instead of Galdr Ring:
    INT+1.00, MAB-1 => 2020 (no change, but infinitely easier to get than Galdr Ring)

Strophadic Earring instead of Hecate's Earring:
    INT+3.67, MAB-2, CR-3% => 2033

Maleficus instead of Dorje:
    INT+10.0, MAB-15, CR+10%, CD+30% => 2050

Ankylosis Wand and Avalon Shield instead of Maleficus and Wizzan Grip:
    INT-3.00, MAB+15, CR-10%, CD-30% => 2091

Finally Laevateinn and Wizzan Grip instead of Ankylosis Wand and Avalon Shield:
    INT-7.00, MAB+35 => 2335

(That's assuming no Aftermath.)

Those are the things I can think of right now.

As for combined casting, not only the last one matters, but also the order of the ones before. You should all go out and nuke a mob with your best set, and compare damage. The order of the casters should be the ascending order of the damage dealt, the lowest damage BLM first and the highest last. That way you will maximize your final damage output.
    (3)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    thanks for the numbers, though I swear the testing on BGwiki had MCrit as a % chance to add +10 MAB >.>
    I may have to go back and loot at it again, but anyway! I have been preaching to other blms in my LS about int over MAB for stuff but they keep telling me to stfu lmao but this will help me prove a point ^^ Thanks!
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant82 View Post
    thanks for the numbers, though I swear the testing on BGwiki had MCrit as a % chance to add +10 MAB >.>
    That's true, and that's how I calculated it. What I posted was the averaged damage, which would be higher with certain Magic Critical Hit Rate gear. In reality, I do not use Maleficus over Dorje, for example, because Meteor's usefulness hinges on doing consistently high damage, you don't wanna take your chance when you're in the 30k damage range.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant82 View Post
    I may have to go back and loot at it again, but anyway! I have been preaching to other blms in my LS about int over MAB for stuff but they keep telling me to stfu lmao but this will help me prove a point ^^ Thanks!
    Well, Meteor's damage is rather simple to calculate. floor(INT+EleSkill/6)*mRatio*3.5 will give you the approximate result (within 5 damage points of the actual result). So it's easy to figure out for yourself how much each piece of gear will increase your damage. The more INT you have, the more useful MAB will become (which is also why MAB is more useful on Tarutaru than on Elvaan), and since a lot of MAB can be gotten from gear these days, INT is often more useful than people remember from 75.
    (2)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I just calculated something else, Goetia Gloves +2 will actually beat out Nares Cuffs in average and maximum damage, but not in minimum damage, although it's only slightly behind in that respect. Base damage will be 2318 instead of 2324, but max damage 2450 instead of 2410. Average 2341 instead of 2335. (All of these numbers assume the final Laevateinn build I suggested above, although the ratios are very similar for other builds.)

I'm actually kind of interested in a magic crit hit build like that. I'll do some group testing later to see how magic critical hit rate affects group casting. If it's only applied at the end and a combined chance is considered, this may actually be pretty awesome.
    (0)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I started to build a Mcrit build, but once I read that it was only +10 MAB I was like Fook that. Does that change with the nares eliminate the set bonus too?
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Yes, I considered the 3 INT from the set bonus as well.

Magic crits are only +10 MAB originally, but that's not bad either. Also, it can be increased with certain items, such as Goetia Gloves +2 (extra +5 MAB) and Maleficus (+30 MAB). Normally it's not worth it because the chance to get a critical hit is so low, but with some gear that has it in addition to other bonuses, like Nares Cap, Goetia Gloves +2, Maniacus Sash and Hecate's Earring, it actually starts to be decent for average damage, as well as for some interesting spike numbers. It's hard to say how good it would be on regular nukes, though. Meteor's damage is quite simple to plot out.
    (0)
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯