Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    Except, y'know it'd happen to revive the midgame instead of making it 1-10,10-30, leech 30-99.

I know, that'd be a horrible thing to inflict on new players. Actually not being encouraged to AFK and having to hit buttons and go places to level up, maybe even seeing their combat and magic skills improve.
    I don't think it would. New players don't leech from 30-99 anyway. Unless of course someone else is filling their pockets with gil.
    (2)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I don't get people are talking about how this might change the status quo in the game when it's only going to last like 5 days. I'd buy the "it'd get people to go outside Abyssea to xp" thrust of it if this was a lasting change and thus wasn't meant simply as a fun bonus event of sorts for the playerbase. As that, it fails because it doesn't give bonus to the mainstay way of people exping.
    (3)

Character
    Krash
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    One could even say, playing a Video game is pure laziness in general. I mean one could totally find something better to do.
    Right, but if you're being lazy IN your lazy activity, you might as well not be doing it.
    I'm calling Paradox! There are no two lazies anywhere that are right or wrong from making each other wronger or righter. Playing a game... Playing a game sitting on the couch... Playing a game sitting on the couch with your feet up etc... (The never-ending lazier meter! "You" are lazy or not lazy.)
    (1)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by sc4500 View Post
    From what i understood the double EXP is from the campaign fights in wotg only, so you can 16k+ exp fast instead of 8k exp in 5 min and to help unlocked the throne room campaign. and sounds like it a set up for the new expansion. To get people back into wotg stuff. Rumor was going need have all of wotg story done to unlocked some the new expansion stuff.
    No way... ugh... I've got a lot of work to do.. .I'm barely able to get my bearings straight after a year away. :/
    (0)

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    I don't think it would. New players don't leech from 30-99 anyway. Unless of course someone else is filling their pockets with gil.
    Yeah, tends to cost a couple hundred thousand to get from 30 to 99 with just abyssea if I remember correctly.
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaall View Post
    It would be terrible for new players because the vast majority of the server have all jobs 99 or at least all jobs they want to take to 99 already there. There would be even less people LFP than there were back in the 75 days which back then was abysmal. SE would never be able to tempt new players in because even if they do manage to get new players they wouldn't get past lvl 50 within a few months and in a game where most of the fun comes from endgame, they wouldn't have much reason to stay playing. It was one of the major problems SE faced pre-abyssea and post-abyssea is going to be even worse.
    The problem of getting players past 50 isn't something Abyssea fixed.

I did 1-50 in less than a month soloing, and that wasn't even doing it at full speed or fully knowing what to do, considering when I left, people were still partying in Valkrum for subjob items and Gusgen was that place where all the RMT miners were botting. FoV/GoV didn't exist at that point.

1-50 with page exp is a fun flow of play, even if you're sitting there constantly battling Easy Prey targets. Abyssea's level of exp gain is totally and completely un-needed prior to 50, and I'd actually say that if it wasn't for the level caps and wanting to do some crafting/other jobs, I'd be a THF 70/DNC 35 hunting down testimonies for my Maat fight right now- less than two months after starting up again.

All it did was tear a huge chunk of the gameplay out in favor of AFKing in alliances while someone higher level than you does all the work. That's abysmal (no pun intended) game design, and Abyssea zones should have been 75+ only ages ago. Seriously, is there a good reason a 30th level character should be able to walk into a zone filled with Dynamis+ level mobs and expect to rack up tons of levels simply by standing in place while his player is busy checking his nostrils for dried boogers?

Saying that "it's too late" is a lot like saying "Aww, people made so much money off blinkers, we should just let them keep going." If it's broke, the sin is in not fixing it sooner, and the compounding insult to that injury is leaving it be simply because it's been broken for so long.
    (3)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    And why not? It doesn't take Gil to do the Genkai quests, and the only real potential barrier is Maat- which is why most "newbie guides" I see aim people towards leeching WHM up first, since you just have to out-heal Maat's damage to win. After that, it's pretty much easymode until the next "Boss fight" level cap break, and bang, there's your newbie in his teal armor set ready to start picking up Abyssea armor left and right anyway, having skipped straight to endgame.

A Teal armor set is...oh, about 75K at most in Gil. I'm guessing a naked level 70 isn't going to have much trouble punching newbie goblins to death for some wild onions to sell for armor money. The barrier to high levels is playing to gain enough experience points- and Abyssea removed that barrier. It was a stupid piece of work on the developer's part, and it remains stupid to this day- basically saying that most of your game system was a mistake and should be ignored in favor of the utterly high-level-centric system we have now.

Of course the game doesn't get newbies. It's hollowed it's experience out in favor of keeping the high level game "crunchy" and the absolute minimum of lower-level play to get people on the exp-o-tron. The worst part is they'd fixed the problem of "too slow" and then proceeded to add a jet engine to the nitrous booster that was FoV/GoV and left the field entirely to go airborne into alternate-dimension wackyness.
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Horadrim
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    COR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustic View Post
    And why not? It doesn't take Gil to do the Genkai quests, and the only real potential barrier is Maat- which is why most "newbie guides" I see aim people towards leeching WHM up first, since you just have to out-heal Maat's damage to win. After that, it's pretty much easymode until the next "Boss fight" level cap break, and bang, there's your newbie in his teal armor set ready to start picking up Abyssea armor left and right anyway, having skipped straight to endgame.

A Teal armor set is...oh, about 75K at most in Gil. I'm guessing a naked level 70 isn't going to have much trouble punching newbie goblins to death for some wild onions to sell for armor money. The barrier to high levels is playing to gain enough experience points- and Abyssea removed that barrier. It was a stupid piece of work on the developer's part, and it remains stupid to this day- basically saying that most of your game system was a mistake and should be ignored in favor of the utterly high-level-centric system we have now.

Of course the game doesn't get newbies. It's hollowed it's experience out in favor of keeping the high level game "crunchy" and the absolute minimum of lower-level play to get people on the exp-o-tron. The worst part is they'd fixed the problem of "too slow" and then proceeded to add a jet engine to the nitrous booster that was FoV/GoV and left the field entirely to go airborne into alternate-dimension wackyness.
    I think she meant most groups charge you to leech. I remember people asking like 30k an hour or some shit.
    (2)

Character
    Waldrich
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    SE is bad at being good and is horrible at being bad! and both cases SE is always bad at being SE.
    (0)

Forgive my brazilian english, if that matter.

Character
    Yru
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Going to grudgingly agree with all the people saying the double-EXP weekend will go virtually unused. People will probably spend an hour or two putting an old EXP party together, realize it's still slow, and go back to the faster methods.

I really wish Abyssea didn't turn out to be as crazy as it is. They should have made the minimum entry level 65 at the very least. It's too late to change it now without pissing off the majority, though. GoV is a good middle ground between the old ways and Abyssea, mainly because you can solo/duo for the same rate as an old party. I just wish this was all they did to boost EXP.
    (0)

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast