Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Can we have a summary of the complaints that have led SE to declare war on DRK?

I'm not going to summarize SE's assault on DRK, and I'm not going to summarize the general English community's views on DRK. What I want is a summary of the Japanese complaints leading to all of these strange proposals to weaken DRK on SE's part.

Dark Knight is not a job that needs to be weakened. It needs to be brought up to the levels of Samurai and Warrior. Why are people convinced it's gamebreakingly strong? If there's a secret out there, please, share it with us.
    (8)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Edyth View Post
    Why are people convinced it's gamebreakingly strong?
    Because people are not smart enough to realize that a 5hit 100% STR weapon skill does not actually beat Ukko's Fury and Victory Smite, even if it sounds better.

Things like Twilight are situational and stupid to complain about especially since they are one of the few things that helps with making the job unique, right now one of the things that makes DRK stand out and be more useful than your other zerg DDs is that it has Twilight, giving it extra utility.
    (7)

Character
    Sabaa
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Relic wielding DRK do some crazy damage but I can never consent to a nerf of any job.
    (1)
    it's what you learn after you know it all that counts

Player
    It may stem from this 177 page thread. The thread was created last February and is still strongly active. With Google Translate I can only understand about a third of what's being discussed. Akihiko Matsui even took the time to respond to that thread here.

The whole Twilight Scythe debacle I believe come from complaints of DRK being overused in Salvage II while not considering any other options. --Or something like that.

EDIT: The JP thread is titled: "Is Dark Knight too strong?"
    (2)
    Last edited by Tanama; 01-30-2013 at 02:14 PM.
    Tanama - Monstrosity Enthusiast

Character
    Muras
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    RUN Lv 99
    I'd really like to know these details too, because I'm pretty annoyed DRK is somehow being seen as "extremely powerful" when it seems to be just your usual melee. DRK is still used as just another WAR, which is mostly just auto attack and WS spam.

And so, I speak to the devs with this...

Since the discussion is limited to only one part of the player base since they're the only ones who're complaining about it in the first place (JP), all we can do is speculate on what the real problem apparently is. Some think it's Resolution. Resolution is strong (But not the strongest), but DRK shouldn't be neglected and screwed out of new traits and abilities because of it (If it even is part of the cause of all this). Resolution isn't even a DRK only WS, so if DRK is "too powerful" because of it, that means DRK is considered "powerful" for something that's not even a unique part of the job itself.

If you take a step back and actually look at DRK for what it has that no other job has, you'd find that it doesn't have much of anything in the "unique" department. Last Resort is the only truly awesome thing DRK has, since Souleater just gets resisted eventually on anything you'd care about. DRK can't be powerful because of it's SJs, because every other job in the game has the exact same options to pick from. It's not because of it's nukes and Occult Acumen. It's not the absorbs either. Sure as heck isn't Scarlet Delirium. You can't possibly tell me the problem is DRK's slightly higher attack?

Honestly, what does the current DRK in game bring to the table that no other job brings? Seriously, because physical damage is as abundant as air, so if DRK was removed from the game entirely I don't think anyone would really miss it. They'd all go (That's too bad.) and move on to WAR because we wouldn't really be missing anything that would change the game. I rarely touch my DRK these days because I have no interest in playing a pseudo WAR. I'd just go level WAR itself if I wanted to do that.

But I wanna put the whole DRK issue aside for a sec and point out the real problem with this game, forum, and maybe even Square-Enix as a whole. Again, it's very clear this DRK issue is only a JP thing, and yet it's being treated so seriously. Now, I understand it's unrealistic to expect Japanese developers to come over to the english forums and know what's going on, so it falls to the community representatives to pass on our thoughts to them.

But here's the problem... There's no way for us to know what's actually getting sent to them. I know the community reps can't translate entire threads, so they have to decide what the overall "consensus" is on certain topics and pass that along instead. They don't receive our actual thoughts and emotions, and likely get few details. In contrast, the devs can go to the JP forums and see these things in their raw form. They cannot, and never will be able to do this for any other language forum.

In all likelihood, the devs might just ask the community reps questions like "What do the NA players think about X or Y?" and then they pass on the info. They may never get any information on topics until they care enough to know. This would certainly be easier for them, and bad for us.

The problem is a lack of communication and too many assumptions from their side. They probably think we feel the same as the JP players, and honestly we do in a lot of areas. But Japan and the rest of the world do have differing views on certain things, and often it's on some pretty important things like this DRK issue.

All I can really say is this current system isn't working. We only ever get replies to issues if someone from the JP side has also asked the same question or silly useless questions that have no real impact on the game, and our opinions seem to never count for anything. The only real solution I can think of is if we all start posting on the JP forums. Like, anything and everything. They might not understand us but at least the devs would actually physically see our posts and start to wonder "Why the heck is every language posting here in the Japanese forum?", thus catching their attention for even a short bit. In they end they'd probably just make it so that non-JP accounts can't post in the JP forums though.

At any rate, Square-Enix is supposed to be an international corporation. That means looking beyond Japan once in a while.
    (16)
    Last edited by Muras; 01-30-2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Small addition

Character
    Malthar
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Serves you guys right. Where were you when they were attacking bst? First bst, then drk, then ... This is how it happens. They come for your neighbors and you are glad that it was not you, so you do nothing. Then they come for you and you wonder why.
    (2)

Character
    Lokithor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Rng says hello.
    (2)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthar View Post
    Where were you when they were attacking bst?
    What was nerfed about BST?
    (1)

Character
    Sechs
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    In my opinion things are going differently.
    SE is just mad at people completing events which were supposed to be more complicated in a very easy way, thanks to items that THEY gave us, and to abilities THEY balanced.

They want to change that, and are using the scapegoat of "omg users are complaining!" to motivate their actions.
    (0)
    And the autumn of life has finally come
    with the promise of winter thaw.

Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Edyth View Post
    I'm not going to summarize SE's assault on DRK, and I'm not going to summarize the general English community's views on DRK. What I want is a summary of the Japanese complaints leading to all of these strange proposals to weaken DRK on SE's part.

Dark Knight is not a job that needs to be weakened. It needs to be brought up to the levels of Samurai and Warrior. Why are people convinced it's gamebreakingly strong? If there's a secret out there, please, share it with us.

I wasn't even aware that SE has declared war on drk, am I missing something? Oh and the secret is called Ragnarok + Resolution by the way. A Ragnarok drk is already at least on the same level as sam and war.
    (1)
    Last edited by Tamoa; 01-30-2013 at 11:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler
    In the FFXI universe, the down of Phoenix is so fine that it quickly broke down into a sort of dust. Smaller than dust, actually. A barely visible particle.

This down was carried by the winds of Vana'diel. Some people breathed it in and contracted Phoenix Downs Syndrome. Some of those people post on this very board.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast