Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Shenul
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99

Release SoA on Xbox 360 Games on Demand

There are reasons for games to be distributed on disc and on Games on Demand. But what benefit is there for the playerbase in terms of disc vs. Games on Demand?

Disc:
    - Discs can be lost or damaged, which leads to not being able to play the game anymore.
    - Slower read speed than HDD, but can be installed to HDD.
    - Even when installed, the disc is still required for DRM purposes.
    - License stored on disc, which can easilly be used by multiple people and gamer profiles.
    - Subject to availability. (Just try getting a FFXI game disc for the 360 anymore without paying over $100)
    - Comes with printed manuals that can hold product keys.

Games on Demand:
    - No physical media.
    - Uses the Xbox LIVE system for DRM.
    - Licenses game purchase to a single Xbox LIVE gamer profile and Xbox 360 console.
    - Unlimited stock. (Games on Demand are rarely removed from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace)
    - Not sure about this one, but unless Xbox LIVE sends you a message, there's no system in place to hand out Product Keys

What am I getting at here? Well, if there was a way to distribute product keys via the Xbox LIVE marketplace purchase of a Games on Demand title, then Games on Demand is the way to go for future releases of FFXI on the Xbox 360.
    (1)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    I can just about guarantee that Microsoft won't go for it. Remember that they nixed the ability to "install" PlayOnline to the HDD. Microsoft hates that POL/FFXI pierces the walled garden that is Live and will do absolutely nothing more than the bare minimum to assist in the game's continued existence on the 360.

Hell, I note that the 360 won't automatically launch the POL Viewer when the system is turned on no matter what the console settings are.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Shenul
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Except that Microsoft has already let them do it. As far as Microsoft is concerned, Games on Demand are the same thing as a disc, just delivered in a different package.
    (0)

SE could probably easily support a non-disc version of SoA for 360 if they really wanted. They have servers to deliver content with.

They are allowed to store FF11 game files on the X360 HDD. The game FF11 is allowed to download data to the X360 HDD and save it there permanently.

If they did things right, they could distribute SoA exactly the same way as they distributed Abyssea and the three mini-addons to X360. The only real difference is the total download size. It is only a question of capacity on their distribution servers.

I don't think they have the best system for delivering updates efficiently, so it is possible that they don't want 80% of all users to get it digitally on the same day, but what they could do is to only release it in disc format to begin with, and then some months later offer it as a downloadable expansion instead of keep printing retail discs for it.

Other than that, I feel pretty confident that whenever they make a "complete edition" like they did with abyssea and stuff, the edition that is currently available on Steam will be replaced with an edition that contains SoA as well. Of course, this doesn't help X360 users.
    (0)
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-30-2013 at 04:32 AM.

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Microsoft will not pay for the bandwidth to deliver a game that works outside of Live. Additionally, Games on Demand are available for much longer than discs on store shelves (when was the last time you saw Ultimate Collection?), and Microsoft does not want increased availability of a game that works outside of Live.

Microsoft hates FFXI on its console and wants to drown it in a bathtub. What little Xbox players get is probably based on the terms of some contract written late 2005 or so, and Microsoft will give not an inch more unless S-E agrees to Xbox-only servers.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    They are allowed to store FF11 game files on the X360 HDD.
    What I meant is this: Xbox 360 players can install select games to and play them directly from the hard drive, with no DVD in the tray. PS2 players can play FFXI with no DVD in the tray. But (save for a brief week or two after NXE was introduced) Xbox 360 players cannot play FFXI without a DVD in the tray.
    (0)

Ok./tooshort
    (0)

Character
    Afin
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    i would agree with putting this on games on demand. As trying to find this game in shops and 2nd hand shops /ebay, these days, is either ridiculously overpriced, or very rare. Its as if both microsoft and SE dont want players on the 360 anymore, as from what i can see, theirs hardly any support at all. From issues of getting the game itself, to having constant freeze issues due to its capability. And tbh, can't be that hard to do it, as it'd just be like another online download like most player get theirs through pol or steam etc. I play on p.c. now as the 360 just had too many issues to play with. Its sad in a way, as i enjoyed playing on the 360
    (0)

Character
    Shenul
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    Xbox 360 players can install select games to and play them directly from the hard drive, with no DVD in the tray.
    Wait, what? That's blatantly wrong. Most any disc-based title can be installed to the Xbox 360 HDD, but that does NOT mean you can play it without a disc in the machine. Installing the game is only to decrease load times due to reading from the HDD and not the disc drive. The game disc must still be in the machine to launch the game, as that is where the DRM is located. If this check was not included, you could rent a game (or borrow one from your friends), install the game on your HDD, and then continue to play the game after you took the disc back.

Microsoft will not pay for the bandwidth to deliver a game that works outside of Live.
    Part of the cost of Games on Demand games goes to funding bandwidth, just like how part of the cost of a disc-based title goes to funding the manufacturing and printing. Most all digital download platforms have no cost to put it up on their service, but will take a percentage fee of each sale in order to maintain their own servers and bandwidth. Microsoft is an exception in that being a console, they have other things that they need to pay for, and as such there is a fee associated with placing a game up on the servers. The same thing happens with disc-based games. If you don't believe me, go read up on the life cycle of console games and what all is involved.

Additionally, Games on Demand are available for much longer than discs on store shelves (when was the last time you saw Ultimate Collection?)
    I believe I already made that point. In fact, it's a major reason to attempt for Games on Demand. But I'm glad to see you're reading and not just jumping aboard the negativity express.

and Microsoft does not want increased availability of a game that works outside of Live.
    Truth be told, the game only sorta works outside of LIVE. It works as much outside of LIVE as any EA game works outside of LIVE. Go pop any EA Sports game into your console that has a year under 2010 (or even 2011, depending). Oh look, servers are down. Any large publisher has the choice of how to implement their servers. FFXI ties accounts to Xbox LIVE enabled gamer profiles. That lets them track achievements on LIVE.

If Microsoft had as big of a problem as you say they have with the game on the console, you wouldn't even see a disc version coming out. They'd snuff it as fast as they could in as many ways as they could.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenul View Post
    Wait, what? That's blatantly wrong. Most any disc-based title can be installed to the Xbox 360 HDD, but that does NOT mean you can play it without a disc in the machine. Installing the game is only to decrease load times due to reading from the HDD and not the disc drive.
    My mistake, then. But the fact remains that the PlayOnline Viewer is still specifically excepted from this time-saving (and potentially lag-saving) feature, on a title where DRM shouldn't be much of an issue at all (again: PS2 players play with an empty disc tray).

I believe I already made that point. In fact, it's a major reason to attempt for Games on Demand. But I'm glad to see you're reading and not just jumping aboard the negativity express.
    We agree about the issue, but the difference is that you don't feel it's deliberate. You feel that S-E is pushing the game through Steam and Amazon and "just happens" to be neglecting Xbox.

Any large publisher has the choice of how to implement their servers.
    Final Fantasy XI allows Xbox 360 players to play on the same servers with others who are on different platforms, all without paying for a Gold Membership. How many other 360 titles do that?

If Microsoft had as big of a problem as you say they have with the game on the console, you wouldn't even see a disc version coming out. They'd snuff it as fast as they could in as many ways as they could.
    Odds are there's a contract somewhere that not even Microsoft's lawyers can find a way out of; what we're seeing reeks of bare-minimum compliance.

After all, there won't be a disc version of XIV for the 360 any time soon.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast