Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39

Best way to level a sub?

Ok as you all know I am new to game, and I just unlocked dancer and want it to be my sub for either a monk or thief. NOw I do have a 35 WHM and 33 SCH but want to take a break from casting and try the melee route. Plus I think it is cheaper too lol. Anyways, do I level a warrior first to 10 then monk ( to what level?) and then dancer to 49? And once dancer is 49 go back to monk or thief to cap?
    (0)

If I was new, I would just take dnc to 49, mnk to 50, war to 49, then mnk to 99. Or thf instead of mnk if that's what you want. After that, I would level ninja to 49.

You could probably just take mnk to 99 before leveling war to 49 as well. It doesn't really matter. Well, it could matter slightly for inventory reasons. If you leveled up ninja and warrior to 49 before doing mnk to 99, you could sell all the low level gear once were past their level ranges on mnk and use that inventory space on mnk gear.

However, it will mean a longer time spent before you can start leveling the job you really want up to the top. If that's no problem, you could just take nin to 49 before monk. However, being level 99 earlier will make it faster to get around the world, easier to do quests and missions at an earlier time, and easier to gain money.

Until you're getting involved with the endgame content, you won't really need /war too often, as it offers very little in survivability. Warrior is mainly used to increase your damage output, and also to help letting you draw attention away from other party members in some situations.

Dancer offers very much in survivability, and ninja does too in some situations, but not always the same situation as where you would use dancer. Additionally, ninja only offers something for survivability after you buy some rather expensive ninja scrolls, so to begin with, you might not even want to use it. In fact, you don't really have to level nin until you can afford Utsusemi ni.

It is about the same deal if you want to level thief to 99. /dnc for survival alone, /nin for survival when you have heals from another player and after you have bought Utsu Ni, /war to increase damage output.

If you want to make the leveling process as time efficient as possible, level dnc to 49, then mnk to 99 right away and don't touch the other jobs until later. Then you will have a (relatively) strong job soon which will make all other things easier. A bit of warning though, mnk can be a rough maat job, or so I've been told by others.
    (1)
    Last edited by Mirage; 01-27-2013 at 07:00 AM.

Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39
    Thanks Tis is what I will do
    (0)

Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39
    So do you think a thief is better then monk?
    (0)

Depends on what you want to do.

Monk does a lot more damage, thief evades better. However, with support, monk can take a beating more easily because of higher HP and in some situations they can counter-tank.
    (1)