Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39

Noobie with a question

Hey all, been playing this great MMO for about 2 weeks now and man do I love it. I got invited into a GREAT LS and I will be playing for a long time to come. Anywho, I have a noobie questions for you experts.

1- I understand there is a story for the game and I hear it is amazing. I am just wondering how does one start the story? DO I need to talk to someone and do a quest, is it the rank missions within each city?

I know I have more questions, but my mind is drawing a blank now. But when I think of it I will be back Thanks all...
    (0)

Player
    There are multiple stories to be apart of... http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page has a nice list of where and what to do for each of them as well as mountains of other data on just about anything in the game. As a rule most of the expansion stories begin at level 30 and can be soloed by level 99s rather easily. I would recommend starting on your Nation's Missions as it will give you some nice early gil and (if my memory serves me correct) you will also receive your airship license and be able to use the airships at Jeuno. Good luck and have fun!
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Rank missions will get you started on the core game. Expansion missions have their own unique starting points.
    (0)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39
    Thank you all for all your help...
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    And a lot of the expansions won't trigger their starting missions until you hit a given rank with your nation and/or level. So it's worth doing at least Rank 3-5 or so on the national quests if you can.
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Toadie
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Here are a couple of reference links for you to work with:

* Missions
    * Quests

Both links will help you determine which story parts are worth your while and/or interest as well as help you figure out how to access the content you desire.

I hope you continue to enjoy the game and welcome to the FFXI community!
    (0)
    Each person is an individual being, capable of independent thought and unique emotion, deserving respect, dignity, and compassion in all things, at all times, and in all places.

To do anything else denies the self of its humanity.