Player

Stuck in Abyssea

I reinstalled Final Fantasy XI, fresh through STEAM earlier today. It is the Abyssea collection, and everything went smoothly. I logged in, and was able to play fine. However... here is where is gets tricky.

Got invite to Abyssea, went over into Abyssea and then things got weird.
    ALL of the NPCs were titled as simply NPC - no unique names or anything. I was not able to interact with a single NPC in the zone.

After 4 minutes, the game tried to push me out of the zone - good I thought! Nope, it simply states "Exiting now," and did nothing... even after sitting there for half an hour.

I contacted Tech Support, and they told me it was a port issue and connections or something. I opened up all ports they said, and now I am left with this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6215593/FFXI/screenshot1.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6215593/FFXI/screenshot2.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6215593/FFXI/screenshot3.png
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6215593/FFXI/screenshot4.png

I am baffled.
    I am running Windows 7, 64-bit. ALL of my drivers are up-to-date. I was not able to contact Tech Support again due to being business hours.

It is really disheartening to come back after a year to play... and not be able to play. I don't understand.

Instead of repeating "exiting now," you can see it simple states: "L." My character is frozen, and I cannot access any in-game commands or menus. It is acting as if it were getting into a cutscene... but not doing anything.

I've tried reinstalling the entire game, and that did not work either.

Ideas?
    (0)

Character
    Hoshiku
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RNG Lv 99
    If you have a friend nearby who also plays FFXI you might try logging in to your account from their computer.
    (0)

Player
    Unfortunately I don't have that option.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I've never seen or heard of that before, so I don't know what to suggest. It sounds like some files were erroneous and the models didn't load correctly, but that should have been fixed with a reinstall.

You may still wanna try it, just to see if it helps.From the POL screen do a file check on FFXI and redownload corrupted files if necessary.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Player
    Yep, that fixed it. I can't believe I didn't think of that.
    Why did that fix it and not a new install?
    (0)

oh the joys of technology... when it works >.> lol
    (0)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I have no idea, it should have been fixed with a new install. Maybe the installer itself was corrupted didn't download necessary files or something, who knows. Guess it doesn't matter now, as long as it's fixed.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Great to hear that your fix resolved the issue Arcon. The file check feature on the PlayOnline viewer is a great tool to check for any sort of corrupted files, even ones that occur during installation. If we see any players who have this issue in the future we will be sure to reference this post! Thanks.
    (0)