Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast
    can't speak for them, but I would hazard a guess they would want to hold out for there to be enough headroom between supply and demand so that if they have to rely on backup power, it would only be for short spikes. Each of there big devices is likely pulling in around 700-800 watts or more because of power redundancy (dual PSU, battery backups), so they are going to need a hefty amount of current to keep those bad boys up.
    (0)
    Last edited by RAIST; 03-22-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyscorpion View Post
    Is that good or bad? Does that mean they're using 35-36/37MW?
    correct, but that is also while a block was in blackout phase as well.

Considering they were able to peg 37MW supply again today, guess they are just going to wing it to see if the grid can handle it today.
    (0)
    {DISCLAIMER} Posts may contain opinions based on personal experiences that are not be meant to be taken as facts. What may appear as fact with no source reference may be recollection of information with no source, and may be subject to scrutiny without source reference. Any debate over validity of said facts without source references may be considered conjecture of all parties in that debate. Player comments may not be the expressed position/consent of SE, their affiliates, or any employees of said organizations. Please take these posts with a grain of salt if you are offended by the views of the player and understand that opinions are like assholes... everyone has one, not everyone wants to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by RAIST View Post
    correct, but that is also while a block was in blackout phase as well.

Considering they were able to peg 37MW supply again today, guess they are just going to wing it to see if the grid can handle it today.
    And that's what worries me, that's not a long term plan, which is why I am leaning towards SE not putting the servers back online just yet. I am as ready as anyone to play, but I've been gone from the game for 4 years, and to be honest I'd rather they keep things safe than put the servers back online only to have to take them off again a few days later.
    (0)
    I'm back! Returning after 4 years of inactivity.
    Deadlyscorpion - Siren Server
    Nin 90 - Thf 90 - Rdm 90

Character
    Annewandering
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Do you think they would risk having the servers on today for a few hours, perhaps for a day or two, and then have to turn them off if things get worse? I get the impression that since they're already committed to not charge for the rest of the month that they're just going to keep the servers off for at least a week more. Of course that's just speculation on my part, but I figure that the integrity of the server files is more important than anything else, I doubt they'll risk turning on the server in the event of an unexpected power failure due to overload, if that's even possible.

I can't really speak much since I don't fully understand how all that stuff works, but just judging by the way they're treating having one plant out of 53 others down affects the rest of the power being supplied to the country, I assume that there's not enough power to go around and that's why the planned outtages are being implemented, and if that's true, wouldn't that mean that if too much power is being consumed and there's not enough supply to meet the demand that it will cause an overload and shut down completely? I know I'm going in circles but I'm trying to make sense of why there are so many nuclear plants in Japan and yet one being down causes all this trouble, all the destruction problems aside of course.
    Well actually six are down out of what? something like 55? The 55 provide 30+% of the power in the country. Now along with those, part of the other power sources are down too. They are getting those back up as well but since they arent radioactive they arent getting the media attention.
    Oh and the country was on the edge in energy consumption before anything happened. They had plans to put two more reactors in business in April I believe.
    (0)

kenmogi FNN reports external power line has been connected to reactor 4
    Might be approaching an important time frame for the day. A lot of banks were talking about bringing their ATM's back up after noon today (almost 12pm JST). Will be interesting to see the impact if they do--could provide a good indicator for SE if they are closely monitoring everything. <HINT HINT... TAP TAP... YOU HEAR ME SE?>
    (0)

Quote Originally Posted by annewandering View Post
    Well actually six are down out of what? something like 55? The 55 provide 30+% of the power in the country. Now along with those, part of the other power sources are down too. They are getting those back up as well but since they arent radioactive they arent getting the media attention.
    Wait, what? Six plants generate 30% of the power to the country? Where does the other 70% come from!?
    (0)
    Nin 90 - Thf 90 - Rdm 90

Character
    Bloomingodsname
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    And that's what worries me, that's not a long term plan, which is why I am leaning towards SE not putting the servers back online just yet. I am as ready as anyone to play, but I've been gone from the game for 4 years, and to be honest I'd rather they keep things safe than put the servers back online only to have to take them off again a few days later.
    I'd rather SE keep the servers down til they're 100% sure it's safe rather then having to completely restart everything in the case of info getting lost in a outage surge...although everyone needing to restart would be interesting and loads would quit I'm sure...
    (0)
    ~Bloom and Kayloni on Lakshmi~
    White Mage by day...Dancer by night!

Character
    Sesono
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Wait, what? Six plants generate 30% of the power to the country? Where does the other 70% come from!?
    Oil? Coal? Gas? Water? Wind? Sun? ...
    (0)

Character
    Annewandering
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    no. all the reactors provide 30+% of the nations energy needs.
    I believe the rest were provided in the standard ways like coal and oil. maybe gas? There are websites that address all this. Just google and you can find them easily enough.
    bravenewclimate.com might have it.
    (0)
    Last edited by annewandering; 03-22-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesono View Post
    Oil? Coal? Gas? Water? Wind? Sun? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by annewandering View Post
    no. all the reactors provide 30+% of the nations energy needs.
    I believe the rest were provided in the standard ways like coal and oil. maybe gas? There are websites that address all this. Just google and you can find them easily enough.
    bravenewclimate.com might have it.
    I thought they just had to reopen 11 coal mines because they were phasing them out. So how does that work, I'm mighty confused. I don't know why I had this crazy idea that like the numbers were the other way around, 70% Nuclear and 30% alternative hehe.
    (0)
    Nin 90 - Thf 90 - Rdm 90

Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast