Learned spell indicator

I remember back in Final Fantasy Tactics, when your blue mage learned a spell, you would see a "!" above his head, sort of like what we see for abyssea procs.

It'd be nice to have a piece of gear or something that would allow us to see a "!" when a spell is learned, so we don't kill the enemy before we've learned it. (If we can help it)
    Maybe make it an upgrade for the Magus Torque.
    (3)
    It's important to hold onto your dreams.. Even if it means staying half-asleep.
    -rd

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by radicaldreamer View Post
    I remember back in Final Fantasy Tactics, when your blue mage learned a spell, you would see a "!" above his head, sort of like what we see for abyssea procs.

It'd be nice to have a piece of gear or something that would allow us to see a "!" when a spell is learned, so we don't kill the enemy before we've learned it. (If we can help it)
    Maybe make it an upgrade for the Magus Torque.
    That's not how spell learning works... You have to kill or be with the group that kills a monster to have a chance to learn a spell after it's been used. Look into spell learning in Besieged.

That said an extra animation would be neat but would likely be just as buggy as the message in the chat log.
    (0)

I know how it works, but I'm saying maybe it could indicate that killing the monster would yield the spell, rather than putting all into the fight after it does the move once, in hopes that it gives the spell.
    (1)
    It's important to hold onto your dreams.. Even if it means staying half-asleep.
    -rd

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Isnt it a rng that determines if you learned it after the mob is killed and not during the battle? Sorta like loot drops. Thats how I always assumed it worked.

Testing also showed that after a mob uses it once, forcing the mob to use it multiple times does no good to increase the chances of learning the spell since its only the first time the mob uses it that basically would put it in the 'loot list'. Therefore once a mob uses a move there is no need to let it live to use it again since your chances of learning said spell are gained by the mobs initial use only.

Going to see if I can dig up that test after I get home tomorrow
    (0)
    Last edited by Elphy; 01-23-2013 at 06:12 PM.

Character
    Wolfmoonstrike
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post
    Isnt it a rng that determines if you learned it after the mob is killed and not during the battle? Sorta like loot drops. Thats how I always assumed it worked.

Testing also showed that after a mob uses it once, forcing the mob to use it multiple times does no good to increase the chances of learning the spell since its only the first time the mob uses it that basically would put it in the 'loot list'. Therefore once a mob uses a move there is no need to let it live to use it again since your chances of learning said spell are gained by the mobs initial use only.

Interesting that you akin learning Blue Magic to a loot drop, because it seemed to me that whenever I went /thf or had someone around for TH my spells were always learned within a couple battles at most. Then again I could just be lucky or it could be all in my head lol. Then again maybe Blue Magic is exactly like a drop that just isn't put into the treasure pool lol.
    (1)
    A pretty damn good story so far @ http://www.phenomenonstory.com/

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elphy View Post

Never seen any definitive testing since it's hard to reproduce but yeah the general consensus that I've been aware of is after the spell was used and the monster was killed by you/your group the chances of learning it was a random "roll" which was boosted by AF gloves like TH gear for loot.
    (0)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Chances of learning are fairly high as well. I know after lvling blu on 2 accounts back before aby and the changes made to ease skilling and such, not to mention the ease in which blus can exp these days, I learned a spell on an average of 3 kills and never did I have to kill anything more than 10 times (kill counts are only those that used the move), same with others I knew who lvled blu.

But with zones like aby where like mobs are grouped together learning blu magic can only be easier now than ever since you dont have to spend hrs just on travel time, rely on weather or other conditions for certain mobs to pop or even wait on repops since there are more than 1-2 mobs in the zone. Also with such a high refresh from atma you can spam bludgeon non stop to feed tp and keep you skills up to par.

Its a good time for blu
    (0)

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    yet, there are some moves that are nightmare tier to learn still osculation anyone >.>
    (0)