Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Character
    Graystone
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    Aye, the one good thing about XIV's markets was that they added a textual search.
    Never thought i'd see the words 'XIV' 'market' and 'good' in the same sentence.
    (1)

===========Don't make me kick your butt into next Watersday!===========

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by JackDaniels View Post
    once they added categories and searching it worked fine- Except for the fact that listing items for sale was still a PITA, the updated system was more or less an auction house, just with the option of going to the NPC to save a few hundred gil. The only reason the crowding was a problem at all was because they were stupid and gave us 2 retainers instead of just letting one sell twice as much stuff. It's only going to get better in the new version (e.g. truly merge all the cities instead of having them seperate but accessible from the same place which was silly)

The market system wasn't inherently bad, just badly implemented
    (2)

Character
    Wolfmoonstrike
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Lol I had forgotten how bad the wards were originally. Once they added the Text search things were more or less pretty good. Spent the majority of my time using it and made boatloads of gil (not as much as the earliest leve abusers but my character won't be going broke for a long time :P)
    (0)
    A pretty damn good story so far @ http://www.phenomenonstory.com/

Character
    Dreamin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    Look, there's plenty of old content that is broken/useless/etc. and has been for years (Eco-Warrior, anyone? Can't even cancel the damned thing to try elsewhere...). But unsurprisingly that is also content that nobody bothers with any more, so the issues affect only a precious few die-hards who insist on trying to do it anyway.

But this is talking about Auction House usability, something that affects all players every day, because there really is no alternative (or at least no viable alternative; guild shops also fall under the category of "broken and abandoned"). This isn't in the same category as ENMs, which were generally only attempted by the bleeding-edge type players even in its heyday.

If nothing else, making it easier to look up the going rates for something before trying to sell it saves individual players time, leaving them less reason to stand around in front of an AH and reducing server load and zone lag overall.

Fixing abandoned content is pretty much the same thing as adding new content, because it'll be new for 99% of the players.
    So you telling me that going to AH, select item, select price history is HARD??? Or you just want to be lazy if you want to sell something?
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin View Post
    So you telling me that going to AH, select item, select price history is HARD??? Or you just want to be lazy if you want to sell something?
    1. Check your inventory to see what you want to try selling.
    2. Click the counter/NPC
    3. Select "Buy Item"
    4. Guess at the right category.
    5. Guess at the right sub-category
    6. GOTO 5
    7. Sort the list (if not already sorted)
    8. Find the item in the sort (which isn't always logical)
    9. Click the item to view the sales history.

Now, multiply the time, bandwidth, and processor cycles this consumes by the thousands of players accessing the AH at any given time.

Alternative proposed:
    1. Trade item counter to view the sales history

The resources saved would benefit both players and S-E.
    (3)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Dreamin
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    1. Check your inventory to see what you want to try selling.
    2. Click the counter/NPC
    3. Select "Buy Item"
    4. Guess at the right category.
    5. Guess at the right sub-category
    6. GOTO 5
    7. Sort the list (if not already sorted)
    8. Find the item in the sort (which isn't always logical)
    9. Click the item to view the sales history.

Now, multiply the time, bandwidth, and processor cycles this consumes by the thousands of players accessing the AH at any given time.

Alternative proposed:
    1. Trade item counter to view the sales history

The resources saved would benefit both players and S-E.
    1. Why you need to check your inventory to see what you want to try to sell? If you dont already know what you're selling then yeah, there's a problem with you.
    4-5. Other than a few very odd items, most items are pretty straight forward to know what category-subcategory that they would be in already.
    7. Unless you keep changing your sort order, once it's set, it's remembered already. For non-armor/weapons/ammo, chances are, you probably wanted them to be sorted alphabetically.

Yeah, all those clicks are very intense and time consuming. Let's make SE wasted more resources that they DO NOT HAVE on this so I can be lazy. While jobs like RDM, PLD and SMN (plus insert your job choices) are completely useless. Enmity is all out of whack. SMN's avatars that were promised 1+ year ago still haven't seen the light of day. Macros that isn't long enough to swap full set. PUP/BST's pets, etc, etc.

I don't get what's with all the 'SE, please make the easy mode even easier' and 'Give me more free stuff' posts that seems to be popping up on a daily basis. We need to tell SE to fix all the other existing problems that has been broken forever now.
    (1)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin View Post
    1. Why you need to check your inventory to see what you want to try to sell? If you dont already know what you're selling then yeah, there's a problem with you.
    "Crud, my inventory is full again! What can I unload real quick that will grant me inventory +1?"

4-5. Other than a few very odd items, most items are pretty straight forward to know what category-subcategory that they would be in already.
    "Is this thing supposed to be synthesis material or an Abyssea pop item? Does it qualify as 'Beastman-made?'"

7. Unless you keep changing your sort order, once it's set, it's remembered already.
    "Well, there's the listing for arrows, but where are the quivers?"

Let's make SE wasted more resources that they DO NOT HAVE on this so I can be lazy.
    It's like ten whopping lines of code. The bandwidth saved from the AH servers would pay for the man-hours used to implement this in like 5 minutes.

While jobs like RDM, PLD and SMN (plus insert your job choices) are completely useless.
    "Everyone" agrees that they're useless, but nobody agrees how and why, let alone how to fix those problems. Those are the kinds of problems that will require meetings and proposals and PowerPoint and testing and development and more testing and implementation and player rage and emergency updates and and and...

Hell, nobody can even agree on the order of priority of the super-involved issues you're listing.

Even if S-E charted out a plan of action for <insert your favorite job here> now, you won't see it fully implemented before Seekers of Adoulin is released regardless. Meanwhile, this little interface tweak could probably still be squeezed into the upcoming "late January" update.

I don't get what's with all the 'SE, please make the easy mode even easier' and 'Give me more free stuff' posts that seems to be popping up on a daily basis.
    Yes, the only thing standing between me and dual-wielding an Exalibur and a Burtgang is that danged Auction House! Durn you meddling kids!
    (4)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Graystone
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    once they added categories and searching it worked fine- Except for the fact that listing items for sale was still a PITA, the updated system was more or less an auction house, just with the option of going to the NPC to save a few hundred gil. The only reason the crowding was a problem at all was because they were stupid and gave us 2 retainers instead of just letting one sell twice as much stuff. It's only going to get better in the new version (e.g. truly merge all the cities instead of having them seperate but accessible from the same place which was silly)

The market system wasn't inherently bad, just badly implemented
    As someone who's made around .1B in the wards, I still feel there was still a lot to be desired. Between lag, having to zone, and losing my counter if I left it alone for more than 5 minutes after I sold my last item (if I could even find one that is), I found shouting for the more expensive stuff was more effective than actually putting things in the wards lol xD

But either way this is the wrong forum for that, too bad I'm banned for life from the xiv forums :'(

Apparently criticizing the japanese and spearheading a movement for regional servers is considered inciting hateful speech towards a specific group of people haha. They even went as far as to quote "..............................." a whole bunch of dots in the final e-mail they sent me before they perma banned me

EDIT:
    In regards to the OP, I don't even use the AH to price check seeing as how it's much easier to just write down all the things i need to sell or am not sure if they are worth selling, go to ffxiah.com, check the prices, then click the wiki link to see if the items NPC for more than what it goes for on the AH. I only use the AH to check prices if I have like one thing to sell, if I know what category they are in.
    (0)
    Last edited by JackDaniels; 01-24-2013 at 02:00 AM.

Character
    Wolfmoonstrike
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

EDIT:
    In regards to the OP, I don't even use the AH to price check seeing as how it's much easier to just write down all the things i need to sell or am not sure if they are worth selling, go to ffxiah.com, check the prices, then click the wiki link to see if the items NPC for more than what it goes for on the AH. I only use the AH to check prices if I have like one thing to sell, if I know what category they are in.
    I do this myself currently, but still does not negate the ease of use a text search or the trade item idea the OP has put forward (Especially for new players that may not be aware of these resources). Nor does it negate the fact that some people only have 360 or PS2 access. And why should the existence of a third party tool stop them from improving on FFXI functions? Better functionality should always be viewed as a positive.

Sometimes I wonder if we as a community like to make things more difficult on ourselves, just for the sake of difficulty.
    (2)
    A pretty damn good story so far @ http://www.phenomenonstory.com/

Character
    Graystone
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfMoonstrike View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if we as a community like to make things more difficult on ourselves, just for the sake of difficulty.
    For anyone who's first MMO is FFXI, I believe it's a trait that SE has washed our brains with.

With that said, something like this isn't quite easy button but more so the lazy button. It sucks for ps2 and xbox players it sucks a lot but that's just one of the perks of pc gaming i suppose. I don't see gaming platforms going past the next generation to be honest.

I can see the rumored wii-u rip off controllers for ps4 running at about 150 dollars each.

For serious gamers, PC is the way to go.

Just look at these images, what skyrim looks like with 100 mods.
    http://kotaku.com/5961994/what-skyri...0-mods-at-once
    Compare that to ps3 screenshots, and compare the price of a ps3 to a pc, it doesn't make much sense.
    (0)
    Last edited by JackDaniels; 01-25-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast