Character
    Artaniss
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 39

Question on changing jobs

If I say change my job from a WHM to a RDM where do I get the new RDM spell or do I get it automatically? And where can I get a new weapon to match my new class? Here is what I did. I started as a WHM havent leveled at all but reading the forums I think I made a mistake trying to level a WHM first and should level thief or RDM , but when I change my jobs at the very beginning I don't know where to get the new class skill or spell and the appropriate weapon. Please let me know what to do. Thanks...
    (0)

Character
    Ciddane
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 6
    well I'm not sure, I just know that you can change jobs via Moogle at your Mog home.

You'd be switching professions and dont retain any WHT mage progress at all. You might consider using a RDM then pick WHT Mage, Thief or Ninja as a sub job.

For more on jobs, please check this page out:
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Jobs
    (0)
    Haste in Time - Kupo!

Character
    Thames
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 60
    Quote Originally Posted by Artaniss View Post
    If I say change my job from a WHM to a RDM where do I get the new RDM spell or do I get it automatically? And where can I get a new weapon to match my new class? Here is what I did. I started as a WHM havent leveled at all but reading the forums I think I made a mistake trying to level a WHM first and should level thief or RDM , but when I change my jobs at the very beginning I don't know where to get the new class skill or spell and the appropriate weapon. Please let me know what to do. Thanks...
    Ok, 1st you need to familiarize yourself with your starting city. The weapon shop is a "Sword symbol" on your map. Here is the link of all merchant npc, what they sell and where to find them. http://ffxi.somepage.com/npcdb/merchants-guide.php

If you are leveling RDM , here is a great vid conducted by Fahros. I find that it's very informative especially for all new RDM out there. Check it out I'm sure you will get a lot of tips out of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9Z-...R5-fva&index=1 ( This video actually got be to buy the game XD)

I'm a complete newb too and I hope you will find FFXI enjoyable as I am. Things can get slow at time, especially when you are trying to do things that can't be soloed. But the good thing is that this game is so HUGE and there are always things to do.

Lastly I wanna leave you with this link http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/wiki/ffxi_beginners'_guide . It will give you a check list of what you should be doing at each level. Though it might be old (still capped at level 75) but a lot of things in there will make your life easier. Well, good luck bro!
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Artaniss View Post
    If it's a spell shared by RDM and WHM- like Cure - as long as you learned the spell on one job, you can use it on any job that has the level to use it. Learning Cure on WHM means that it's available as soon as you hit the appropriate level on RDM, PLD, SCH, etc. Each spell has to be learned off a scroll (bought or dropped from a monster), but once you learn it once, it's available on any job with the appropriate level to cast it. No, you don't learn spells simply by leveling up- you just unlock the ability to cast it once you get a copy of the spell to learn it from.

A new weapon is going to be at the local weapons sellers- weapons shops usually have a "sword" icon, but you'll find the occasional vendor that isn't in a shop proper, like the ones in Port Windurst. Red Mages tend to do best with swords early on (but can use daggers equally well). Do a little browsing- stock tends to vary by how well your nation is doing in Conquest but the basics are almost always available. The AH may have the occasional low-level weapon on there as well, but tend to be more expensive. RDM's can also use some clubs, though not well and not all of them like a WHM can.

Likewise, you'll want to pick up any spell scrolls you haven't already learned as needed. "Dia" is the level 1 RDM spell, and if you're already a WHM 9, you may already have picked it up (they can learn it at level 3- as long as you got a copy of a Dia scroll to use and learn it). Again, the basic scrolls tend to be readily available regardless of how well your country is doing. There's newbie spell sellers in Port Windurst on the docks (H-8), Port San d'Oria near the Auction House (J-8), and Bastok Markets (the scribe's shop near the exit to Port Bastok, H-5). Red Mages learn black AND white magic spells, they just learn them at higher levels than a Black or White Mage does theirs. Check vendors for both types when seeing what you can add as you level up.

Class SKILLS (that is, Job Abilities and Traits) happen automatically as you level up. Swapping to RDM will automatically allow Chainspell instead of Benediction for your SP ability (for example), and any job traits will change and show up automatically as part of the job at whatever level they're active. Don't feel bad about getting some levels in WHM- later on when you unlock your support job (aka "subjob") it'll be useful- RDM/WHM isn't a bad early combo, and you'll find yourself hopping back and forth leveling your main job(s) of choice along with ones you just intend for subjob use.

Subjobs can max out at 50% the level of whatever you use as a main job, and are unlocked with a quest at either Selbina or Mhuraua (sp). Don't worry too much about it for now, just remember that when the time comes, you'll want other jobs leveled up about to half of whatever you want to do most of the time to get the best benefit- so if you level up RDM to 20, you'll want subjobs at least to level 10.
    (0)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.