Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Of course it would cap at something, not doing that would be crazy.
    (0)

Player
    Something of that nature would be a bit unfair since it ignores derived statistics and would give DRG somewhat of an unfair advantage on higher level targets in my opinion. Ignoring a set percentage of defense however, is pretty much analogous since the more defense a target has, the more is ignored and the less defense the target has, the less is ignored. Ignoring 25% of a Hill Lizard's Defense would be like raising your attack by 20-30 but ignoring 25% of Ig Alima's defense would be like raising your attack by 200-250ish(which is why I expressed the duration ought to be lower since it would be more powerful than Berserk AND stackable with Berserk in a situation like this). Keeping in mind that we can/could sub Warrior for Berserk, that we have Angon, that we may or may not also have additional attack buffs i.e minuet/stalwarts tonic/atma/atmacite, the duration of this ability (2 min) I think is fair. If it was JUST an attack boost, I'd say 3 minutes, but since it would give us a unique buff that no other job has(thus it's own icon/status) it would be stackable with LR/Berserk/Hasso/Minuets/Chaos Roll etc and could be overpowered if the duration is longer than 2 minutes.

I also want to stress again that ignoring 25% defense is the equivalent of +33% attack. Angon is the equivalent of raising THE ENTIRE ALLIANCE'S attack by 33%. The trend in FFXI is Duration<->Potency in almost all aspects. Look at BLU. The reason why many of their buffs and debuffs are so potent is because they don't last long. BLU will never get Protect or Shell because those last 30minutes and give minor boosts, instead they get short lasting but amazingly potent buffs(Cocoon and Harden Shell give exponentially more defense than Protect spells). If they buffed the duration of this JA to 3 minutes, it would have to be a very minor ignore defense, like 10-12% which would almost be like adding nothing..it'd be like a +15% attack boost for 3 minutes, which isn't bad, but I'd rather have the potency, especially given that we have other tools like Jumps which would also benefit from ignoring defense during the duration of this JA(and the fact that the wyvern would as well via Empathy.)
    (0)
    Last edited by Ophannus; 01-28-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Character
    Kyqrieas
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    As DRG we already have the option of using angon (20% def down) which stacks with dia and dia II (10% def down) to give 30% def down as a whole which is close to what you're saying, and yet DRG still isn't considered good, either because Angon doesn't last that long or it's not enough. SE's plans were to allow Angon to be stackable with other effects like Acid Bolts and I can only assume Gungnir which I'm really hoping will happen at some point because it just seems logical. If Angon stacked with Acid Bolts and Dia that would give roughly 42-43% defense down. Now that would also give a lot of use to having Gungnir because that defense down could either be made 60% def down or not stack with Acid bolts but Dia and Angon to give 47-50%. whether this will be enough I don't know because a lot of people generally don't see it as anything great hence why DRG is still considered loldrg.

A way to deal with that would be to make the def down last longer (Angon only lasts 1:30 with capped merits which is close enough to the 2 minutes you're suggesting) so that everyone gets the boost permanently in a battle. This would help DRG stand out more in a fight because at the moment we're obsolete. Although I have to say, after explaining to people that Gungnir gives def -17% and quite often, it does help with invites! If people knew that DRG could give -43-50% defence, that would greatly help DRG's potential, almost as a buffer for the ally but more for itself, seeing as we have attack penalties which it seems no other DD has. Would help us keep up a little while also helping everyone - making DRG more desirable in pretty much all endgame.
    (0)

Player
    We have one attack penalty and it's on an obsolete WS(unless you have mythic).
    (0)

Character
    Kyqrieas
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    I meant penalties facing attack choices - /sam being our only option, no useful JA's etc etc, all the reasons you have outlined yourself in a lot of your posts.
    (0)

Character
    Giers
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Hmm what do you guys think about our wyverns mimicking our attack rounds up to 4 attacks.

So if you crit two times an proc a triple attack, so does he. This kind of buff would never let us go beast master mode I guess, unless we toss on a quint spear an go to town xD. Obviously this would let him gen more TP, which would go well with the buff too his attack an breath damage he so badly needs.
    (0)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2