Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Just trying to limit discussion here to the points you brought up now.

Spell adjustments seem pretty solid. Will they apply to Banish spells in any way? Will the AoE versions see a similar change? Will Ancient Magic see a similar change?

The Merit WS adjustment is a welcome change, but I want to reiterate that it is still not going to ultimately solve the problem. The problem is that a capped (meaning you have to pick and choose what you do) merit system is the antithesis of the job system. We will never be truly happy with anything less then uncapped merits, particularly in the field of WS. There has been an extremely popular thread on the English forums detailing this and how to fix it, and it was ultimately shrugged off. This difference in opinion isn't one of wanting things slightly different then what the dev team wants however, the difference is a deep, core opposition of the reasoning given for the capped merit system, with solid and unrefuted arguments for the opposition to a capped merit system.

Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    Balance between two-handed and single-handed weapons

This is a topic that has been discussed in several threads, particularly one about making adjustments to single-handed weapons, and we would like to perform adjustments.

As has been mentioned, food and other choices are quite limited due to the fact that status modifiers are far greater for two-handed weapons and there is a higher need for accuracy when using single-handed weapons.

For example, we are currently looking into the possibility of adding some form of merit that would enhance the modifiers for the single-handed weapon main weapon slot.
    This change is far too important for a form of merit that you'd have to pick and choose over some other merit. If this is merited, it absolutely must be in its own category, lest someone just be forced to merit something else for their 2h, ranged attack, or magic using job.

This change is also far too important to fix with some job ability. Most 1h users already lag well behind jobs with Dual Wield natively, and massively behind 2h users. For the sake of keeping player options open when using any job, the fix has to be universally available to all jobs.

Additionally, this change should affect Blue Magic and Hand-to-Hand a well. If making the default behavior change is not in your plans, please consider a quest to unlock the full potential of 1h, Blue Magic, and H2H weapons, similar to how the Gobbie Bag Quests unlock the full potential of your bag.

I'd at least like to see the maximum modifiers for 1h/H2H/Blue Magic raised to the same level as 2h weapons, even if 2h weapons keep the favorable modifiers.

Another option that I'd like to see explored in addition to other changes would be having 1h weapons that are single wielded see the same modifiers as 2h weapons, and perhaps even benefit from job abilities that only help 2h weapons, in an effort to open up more subjob options for certain jobs. I think a deep discussion of this as an additional change would give us more thought towards making interesting and tactical gameplay, even if it is ultimately decided against.

The reasoning for the changes to 2h weapons was that Dual Wield made 1h weapons universally better - well with large amounts of Haste in the game, this has changed, particularly at high levels. We have needed a fix for some time, and I'm happy to see the first steps towards addressing this problem.
    (18)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    I absolutely hate the suggested merit point weaponskill. So with no increase in merit cap if i keep my current three weaponskill at 5 merits each I'll get to look forward to a nerf from 100% to 85% stat modifier? Absolutely dreadful and definitely not what we have been asking for. I'd rather keep it as is then implement this change.
    Whenever the Development Bros or the Community Bros talk about the merit weaponskills, they figure the alpha value for level 99 into their number.

Long story short, they use slightly different terminology and their 85% is what most players would refer to as 100%.
    (6)

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroe View Post
    Nerf Dark? Only became strong because of resolution, not because of haste. They nerf it, I'm done. Tired of my job being spit on with no adjustments to emp scythe and magic.
    Did you not even read what was said? They are making it so that Desperate Blows gives 2% Haste per merit, while Last Resort will give 15% standardly, meaning the end result of 25% is the same, but subbing DRK would give the Haste from Last Resort as well. It is in no way nerfing DRK, simply making it a stronger subjob.
    (13)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elro View Post
    I absolutely hate the suggested merit point weaponskill. So with no increase in merit cap if i keep my current three weaponskill at 5 merits each I'll get to look forward to a nerf from 100% to 85% stat modifier? Absolutely dreadful and definitely not what we have been asking for. I'd rather keep it as is then implement this change.
    You read it wrong. Our standard for WSC and SE's standard for stating WSC is different. SE is stating the final WSC given after level alpha while we use the initial prior to level alpha. We do that because level alpha changes as your level changes yet the base WSC doesn't.

Players: Ruinator = 100% STR (20% per merit) initial, level 80+ has a Level alpha of 0.85 so 100 * 0.85 = 85% final STR WSC.

SE: Ruinator = 85% WSC (17% per merit) final WSC.

So what their saying is changing the tier 1 to 65% final, so something like 75% initial.
    (6)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Regarding Dark Knight
    The only possible FF game where you could say DRK is overpowered is the PSP remake of FF Tactics, or perhaps X-2, but not FFXI.

Dark Knight is in need of major help because of the fact that it is perceived as slightly weaker than WAR and SAM, and therefore by elitist logic is "useless." "Loldrk" is treated like it's lightyears behind WAR and SAM by the general English-speaking FFXI community. I'm not saying this is true in terms of the jobs' actual power, but that's how the community views DRK.

Desperate Blows is a great ability, yes. It's often considered one of the only things DRK has going for it. I'm not going to list all the great things about SAM and WAR because I don't want to spend 15 more minutes on this post. This proposed Desperate Blows nerf and Last Resort buff will make DRK a more viable subjob, but it takes away one of the job's best qualities and distributes it to the ravenous WARs and SAMs that have already made DRKs into pariahs anyway.

Merit Point Weapon Skills
    Yes, please. And whoever said that it's a nerf, the post states there are no changes to the max value.
    (4)

Character
    Toadie
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    Whenever the Development Bros or the Community Bros talk about the merit weaponskills, they figure the alpha value for level 99 into their number.

Long story short, they use slightly different terminology and their 85% is what most players would refer to as 100%.
    /facepalm Okay I didn't know that. In fact I don't even know what alpha value means or represents.

I just know that when you math savvy players start posting your calculations and what-not I suddenly feel like I'm on an alien planet with no translator. To me it looks like the equations are built with variables or mathimatical symbols (like that of pi) but I have no idea what they mean.

Anywho, back on topic... so they are saying they would like to make the initial merit point placed in the weaponskill worth more than the initial merit is worth right now? Meaning that those that want a variety of weaponskill merited could do so and still be viable?

If that's the case then I can see that being a compromise and a good step in the right direction.
    (1)
    Each person is an individual being, capable of independent thought and unique emotion, deserving respect, dignity, and compassion in all things, at all times, and in all places.

To do anything else denies the self of its humanity.

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Did you not even read what was said? They are making it so that Desperate Blows gives 2% Haste per merit, while Last Resort will give 15% standardly, meaning the end result of 25% is the same, but subbing DRK would give the Haste from Last Resort as well. It is in no way nerfing DRK, simply making it a stronger subjob.
    Need to make the haste effect apply to 1H weapons then, would make a very interesting sub. 15% Attack 15% Haste for 3/5 min along with Attack Bonus II, slightly nerfed Soul Eater (8% HP to 5% damage) and Arcane Circle if your fighting a Arcane boss.
    (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Cowardlybabooon
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Every Galka Black Mage and Scholar in Vanadiel will love you for this. Yeah we will have to go get magian staves and obi's for elements other than Thunder and Ice, but we will gladly do so for half the MP cost and a ton of variety added to the job!

Also the Single-Handed weapons thing really has to be seen in implementation before we can fully understand the impact, but the fact that you are addressing it at all is very welcome.

Could you make any comments on Red Mage? I don't have it leveled but I would if it were used for anything. You can at least tell people you're hearing their cry and simply don't like any of the wacky suggestions people make but also don't have any of your own at this time.
    (10)
    Last edited by Cowardlybabooon; 01-12-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Edyth View Post
    This proposed Desperate Blows nerf and Last Resort buff will make DRK a more viable subjob, but it takes away one of the job's best qualities and distributes it to the ravenous WARs and SAMs that have already made DRKs into pariahs anyway.
    Aggressors Accuracy bonus with Double Attack, Warcry, and Berserk should still put it above /DRK for a SAM, while /SAM should be ahead for WARs because of the STP, Hasso already filling part of that void, Sekka, and Meditate. So while this sounds like it may be dangerous, I honestly see nothing changing from that adjustment for now.
    (4)

Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Aggressors Accuracy bonus with Double Attack, Warcry, and Berserk should still put it above /DRK for a SAM, while /SAM should be ahead for WARs because of the STP, Hasso already filling part of that void, Sekka, and Meditate. So while this sounds like it may be dangerous, I honestly see nothing changing from that adjustment for now.
    I agree that this is a likely scenario. In other words, they might as well not change DRK at all.

However, because Last Resort works regardless of whether you are wielding a 2H weapon or not, this may make DRK a nice subjob for Dancers or other dualwielding small hitters, assuming 2H weapons are not made mandatory. Attack bonus + 15% haste + defense penalty when your evasion compensates anyway? Sounds like a nice deal.
    (6)

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast