Character
    Rubican
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

An Open Letter to Akihiko Matsui

Dear Akihiko Matsui,
    I have been a long time player and supporter of Square Enix and many of their game titles, along with over nine and a half years playing in the wonderful world that is Vana'diel of FFXI. The players feedback is being ignored, the game is being altered in ways most players feel is not becoming of the game. This game suffered for years and has lost many players due to the development teams ideas of what was best for the game, and those changes were not supported by the community. I am writing this open letter to implore you to listen to the community opinion. I have spent over $1,600.00 on this game it is most likely closer to $3,200 because I have paid for several of my friends accounts when they fell on hard time but still wanted to adventure with the linkshell and friends. I have meet people through this game that have become great friends both inside and outside of Vana'diel. The players/members of the FFXI community should not be ignored, you are directing your team to emplacement changes that will forever scar the game and create a negative image of you and your management. We as a community have spend millions on this game, and that should afford us right to say no to a change we think is not needed. As a concerned member of the community that does not wish to see more people leave, nor content that is good they way it is changed I ask you to think long and hard about what is about to happen with Perfect Defense and Embrava. You mentioned that the reason for the changes was to add support for mages in the spell... does that mean that you will be adding additional effects to Kaustra that will benefit the front line jobs? The reasons behind the changes are not sound, they are a direct attack against the community that pays for the game, and will only make scholar and summoner less useful. I honestly wish I could translate this into Japanese because I know that it will get butchered by a translator. I had high hopes for you Akihiko Matsui when you took the mantle for this game, but now I see that I was wrong, and that like so many others you only have the best interests of the company in mind, and not the members of the community.

Respectful,
    K.L.
    Rubicant82
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Paragraph. Spacing. Please.

And -which- changes. Right now, we're seeing content that takes PD/Embrava to do. If that isn't changed, then...well, we're stuck in perpetual content that's "Use Perfect Defense/Embrava or lose".

I'm old enough to remember when RDM was required for endgame. It's a balance. They can't make content require a specific job to conquer or it becomes a "princess job", but if they get rid of the unique parts of a job in doing so, that job vanishes from endgame as well.
    (5)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Character
    Dazusu
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Content is too easy to deliver enough of a challenge for prolonged participation. Rewards are lacking which isn't going to help coerce persistence. Rehashes of old events are tired. There's absolutely nothing exciting to do in game.

In my opinion, Nyzul II and Legion have been the only things added to the game within the past 5~ years that slightly raised the heartbeat. Now that Nyzul has been simplified (albeit it perhaps temporarily), the fun has disappeared from there too.

The whole PD/Embrava back-peddle makes me wonder if the current development team have any clue how the game works.

I find myself logging in less each week, and using the game as a premium chat room and nothing more.
    (2)

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    How about letting Matsui get his bearings and actually start his work as a Director before we jump the gun and blame him for everything that has gone wrong in this game for the past few years.

He held off on the pd/embrava nerf for a reason, he understands there is no balance. Lets see if he has any tricks up his sleeve before we rip them off.

And lets face it, the only reason embrava and pd are so needed is to make it easier for the zergfest to commense. Maybe we will actually get to go back to strategic play instead of seeing who has the biggest sword
    (7)

Character
    Seyomeyo
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    You know, when I first read the title, I was actually expecting a letter of heartfelt thanks for trying to be reasonable with all of the changes that have been either declared or implimented since he was appointed. Give him some time, he's working, and I wholeheartedly believe he cares. A lot. If this was Tanaka we were talking about, the Embrava/PD nerf would have probably been implimented into the final product before the test server.

We have a new expansion coming out, and we're not privy to see everything that he has up his sleeve right now. Such is the nature of development. We'll see it all in a few months. Chillax.
    (3)

Character
    Llana
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    An open letter to the internet:

Dear world,

If you find yourself believing for whatever reason that your opinion is valid, and that you wish to share that opinion with others - especially if you expect any sort of response to your stated position - you should ensure that you use proper grammar, punctuation, spelling, and structure.

Even if you ignore the rules of grammar, punctuation or spelling for the sake of poetic license/ease of reading, please break up walls of text--the bane of online information sharing.

This wall of text makes the English language feel bad.

Respectfully,

Me, and every other Grammar Nazi / English Psych / Human.

As for the actual content, I'd have to disagree with this remark:

"The reasons behind the changes [to Embrava/Perfect Defense] are not sound, they are a direct attack against the community that pays for the game, and will only make scholar and summoner less useful."

While I agree that adding a Refresh effect to Embrava borders on insane, the problem is not in the spell or ability themselves or the players. The game is systematically designed to not be winnable by everyone. Simply, too many players have become successful at end-game (read as: newish) content, and therefore progress must be hindered.

While I agree with the bulk of your concerns, I think that your letter (and the stated opinion of many forum-goers) simply misses this mark. Consequently, ideas for "improvements" or other fixes/nerfs/adjustments are ignored not because they are unreasonable, but because Player Reasoning rarely if ever aligns to Development Reasoning on the fundamentals.
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    If you can't out-claim someone who's AFK, you need to find a new game to play.

Character
    Lynsara
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Llana_Virren View Post
    The game is systematically designed to not be winnable by everyone. Simply, too many players have become successful at end-game (read as: newish) content, and therefore progress must be hindered.
    That right there is the fundimental problem with forums such as these.

Yes it is fantastic to be able to interact somewhat directly with the devs (NA and EU not as much due to a language barrier but still somewhat). The casuals want to be able to do EVERYTHING and expect the same rewards as the hardcore. The hardcore on the other hand feel that they should (and rightfully so) have more unique, less common and more powerful gear simply due to the amount of time put into getting said gear and the fact that the hardcore content is more difficult therefore requiring more powerful gear.

So what happens is endgame is brought to a mid-point which makes it laughable to the hardcore and still just out of reach to the casual. Causing everyone to flood the forums and expecting the devs to have a meeting strictly on their post since their one or two posts with one or two likes is, so they claim, the opinion of the entire playerbase.

It has got to be exhausting to be a moderator and/or a dev that has to read these forums and come up with solutions.

As crappy as it was I kindda miss the days that they said "here is a new expansion, have fun!" and only fixed the bugs or exploits. Playerbase opinions be damned. It made the game fun. Why? Because we had to learn strategy and ways around the obsticals presented. We couldnt just go online and rant til it gets nerfed to the point of rediculousness. Some goals were unobtainable by the majority which made achieving them a cause for celebration. Now when everyone has a relic, mythic or empy its not a cause for celebration and no one really cares that you got your empy, cause they have 3 of their own. Its standard gear. Not even a 99 mythic means much anymore sadly. You see more NNI gear now than you did askars or Kirins a few years ago. Its standard gear. Thank you forumers, you can complain about the nerfs all you want but you are the ones who complained enough to get them. (I seem to remember ppl complaining about embrava and pd being an exploit and now they are mad its getting changed...hmmmm go figure)

Ok, off my soapbox. Sorry, talk about a rant, whew lol
    (3)

Character
    Mdkuser
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Seyomeyo View Post
    Give him some time, he's working, and I wholeheartedly believe he cares. A lot. If this was Tanaka we were talking about, the Embrava/PD nerf would have probably been implimented into the final product before the test server.

We have a new expansion coming out, and we're not privy to see everything that he has up his sleeve right now. Such is the nature of development. We'll see it all in a few months. Chillax.
    It's been 6 month now and nothing really changed. I'd have expected them to have fixed VW, Legion, WoE and nyzul by now. What we got is a 15 minute per day event with mostly useless rewards reward, and a salvage II with no challenge and crap - tier rewaard, that is a pretext for making alexandrite easier to farm. But fear not, they are working on pankration II.
    (3)

Character
    Bigdave
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Dear directer,
    I would greatly like a reduction in the amount of heavy metals required to get a level 95 emperian weapon 50 50 75 1500 60 simply seems like it is way out of synch the pattern to me. Also after playing for about 10 years i can not get myself to do any event that has been added since last July. Legion is boring and Voidwatch is pointless once you get a the armor you was looking for but hey lets keep doing another 5000 mobs to get 1500 plates.
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    An open letter to open letter writers:

Dear open letter writer;

Open letters on the internet never work.

Sincerely,

Me
    (2)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast