Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Player
    I honestly don't think thats a good idea, I rather them just raise the rates by about double or maybe triple, then I would be happy with it. I do think for now it seems to slow, but to make it only give .5s seems like it takes something away to me. Perhaps also raise the cap of skills gained, such as instead of it being .1~.5 make it .1~.8 or so. Also some skills such as Summoning Magic should be increased more than triple the rate.
    (2)

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukino_Kaji View Post
    Skilling up/having job skills, is not the same as skillfull play.
    I agree. Which is why I believe the skill up system should be overhauled.

The way it is now is a joke.
    (0)
    Last edited by Trisscar; 01-15-2013 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trisscar View Post
    I agree. Which is why I believe the skill up system should be overhauled.

The way it is now is a joke.
    You hit stuff with your weapon..you level your proficiency in it.

You cast your magic, you level your proficiency in it.

You get hit (?) and you evade hits, you level your evasion.

You block with your shield you level your shield proficiency.

You parry or get hit (?) you level parry.

So while I know you're being sarcastic, let's be real, skilling up is perfectly fine and the only people who suffer are those who pay cleavers to level them and enter the fray with skills of a level 2-30 character, if that then complain that skilling up is a pain. How should it be overhauled that doesn't include them automatically handing you skills then?
    (1)
    Dark Knight ~ 90: Yes I actually use a Scythe.

Character
    Vivik
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Alerith View Post
    I like the skill up system.

I don't claim to be a hardcore player or an elitist, but I like the fact that it separates me from the abyssea-burned fools with no skill in the job.
    I know plenty of players on cerb. that leveled all their jobs normally that are still horrible players. I also know quite a few that burned a job or two that are much better than the majority on the server.

It makes me laugh when people equate burned jobs to bad players. I burned all my jobs on my mule and she is much better than average. Plus she is a mithra which automatically makes her better.
    (1)
    Vivik- Asura
    Do you know who you really are? Are you sure it’s really you?

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    How should it be overhauled that doesn't include them automatically handing you skills then?
    By removing the randomness of skilling stuff by making it where every success gives you experience towards your next skill level and every failure gives you less experience.

This is the norm for every RPG and MMO that has skill levels. The only place where there's any randomness to skill levels is Final Fantasy XI.

I think the only RPG that comes even close in terms of annoyance when it comes to skill levels is probably Final Fantasy II.
    (2)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Elexia View Post
    You hit stuff with your weapon..you level your proficiency in it.

You cast your magic, you level your proficiency in it.

You get hit (?) and you evade hits, you level your evasion.

You block with your shield you level your shield proficiency.

You parry or get hit (?) you level parry.
    If that's how it actually worked then the system wouldn't be as bad. What you wrote is essentially this:
    (relevant success) + (random number for value of skill up) = Skill Up

How it actually works is like this:
    (relevant success) + (random number for chance of skill up) + (random number for value of skill up) = Skill Up

That random chance of skill up wasn't too bad back in the old days because it took so long to level up you almost always averaged out a winner. Even if you don't level up in Abyssea from 30-99 you have to intentionally retard your EXP potential in order to average out a winner in the skill up game.

Worst of all this still doesn't actually prove you as a player are capable of "skillful game play".
    (2)
    Last edited by Zagen; 01-16-2013 at 04:37 AM.

Character
    Spicyryan
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Oh official forums, even when I think I can stop facepalming you convince me otherwis

On a side note, computers are not capable of the concept of "random" and everything is programmed by whatever formula/rate SE decides.

I also like to point out that besides summoning magic there is really no reason to complain about skilling up. Just in case anyone missed that, and also just in case anyone missed the history of this game. Skilling up has gotten much easier than it once was several times over. It is now easy to skill everything up except summoning skill. I don't see what more you people want after SE has to my memory.

-Increased the rate at which skill ups occur on weapons with lower skill (was around ~200 when it slowed at the 75 cap irrc)
    - Provided skill up foods, prowess from the book, and items.
    - Improved guard and parry to skill up without procing.
    - Increase in multi-hit armor/haste pieces (back when having 21% haste was considered being very well geared)
    - Did I mention the FOOD and ITEMS?

Just be quiet and go swing your weapon and cast your spells. Some of you people blow my mind. As if the lot of you doesn't know what it was like to skill up at the 75 cap compared to now. It may possibly put your desire for instant gratification into perspective.

TL;DR Typical instant gratification.
    (3)

Character
    Trisscar
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp1cyryan View Post
    Typical instant gratification.
    Speaking of face palm... That you use this annoying, tired statement signifies that you don't understand and you never will.

But let me make the attempt: It is not about instant-gratification. No one is suggesting that the skill up system be removed all together, or to give instant skill levels every single hit. We are asking that its random nature, and it is random make no mistake, be removed.
    (0)

Character
    Zagen
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 99
    On a side note, computers are not capable of the concept of "random" and everything is programmed by whatever formula/rate SE decides.
    You talk about facepalming and then you say something like this.

So technically a function such as rand() isn't a truly random function and it could even be further limited with additional parameters but it's as close as a program gets. Thus it becomes accepted as a random number in the context of programming.
    (0)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Oh official forums, even when I think I can stop facepalming you convince me otherwis

I also like to point out that besides summoning magic there is really no reason to complain about skilling up. Just in case anyone missed that, and also just in case anyone missed the history of this game. Skilling up has gotten much easier than it once was several times over. It is now easy to skill everything up except summoning skill. I don't see what more you people want after SE has to my memory.

-Increased the rate at which skill ups occur on weapons with lower skill (was around ~200 when it slowed at the 75 cap irrc)
    - Provided skill up foods, prowess from the book, and items.
    - Improved guard and parry to skill up without procing.
    - Increase in multi-hit armor/haste pieces (back when having 21% haste was considered being very well geared)
    - Did I mention the FOOD and ITEMS?

Just be quiet and go swing your weapon and cast your spells. Some of you people blow my mind. As if the lot of you doesn't know what it was like to skill up at the 75 cap compared to now. It may possibly put your desire for instant gratification into perspective.

TL;DR Typical instant gratification.
    this is such a load of crap,

try playing WHM in a party where they do not let you cast offensive spells, see how well you skill up with that, how fast your Divine magic lags behind, its not about instant gratification, honestly if they would just give us more efficient ways to skill up we would be happy, the current state of how the skill ups on anything that isn't melee, healing magic, elemental magic or enhancing magic works really stinks
    (1)
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast