Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    There's not that much overlap, that's not far off from the actual size of my install- remember that updates update old files, not just add new ones.
    (0)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    There's not that much overlap,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    PlayOnline Viewer & Tetra Master: 183 MB
    Final Fantasy XI and Rise of the Zilart: 2.66 GB
    Chains of Promathia: 2.00 GB
    Treasures of Aht Urhgan: 1.45 GB
    Wings of the Goddess: 1.69 GB

Vana'diel Collection 2008: 2.95 GB
    0.183 + 2.66 + 2.00 + 1.45 + 1.69 = 7.983

7.983 >> 2.95

But this brings me back to my earlier point: think before you write.
    (2)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Godofgods
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Incase it helps anyone. They are releaseing a new combinded disk. As for having all you want on it, youll jsut have to wait and see.

SoA All in one Disk.
    The FINAL FANTASY XI Ultimate Collection Seekers Edition features FINAL FANTASY XI, Seekers of Adoulin, and all previously released expansion and add-on packs including Rise of the Zilart, Chains of Promathia, Treasures of Aht Urhgan, Wings of the Goddess, A Crystalline Prophecy, A Moogle Kupo d’Etat, A Shantotto Ascension, Vision of Abyssea, Scars of Abyssea, and Heroes of Abyssea.
    (0)

Character
    Toadie
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Very nice! :3
    (0)
    Each person is an individual being, capable of independent thought and unique emotion, deserving respect, dignity, and compassion in all things, at all times, and in all places.

To do anything else denies the self of its humanity.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    PlayOnline Viewer & Tetra Master: 183 MB
    Final Fantasy XI and Rise of the Zilart: 2.66 GB
    Chains of Promathia: 2.00 GB
    Treasures of Aht Urhgan: 1.45 GB
    Wings of the Goddess: 1.69 GB

I thought before I wrote. I compared my actual install size to the size of the data on the original discs- not to the collection disc.

If the collection disc is smaller in data size than the original discs, then more data must have to be downloaded through the updater. Your math doesn't necessairly indicate overlap- you should check how many files have to be downloaded with the individual installs vs the collection install.

Can please stop being so insulting when you post? People make mistakes. You don't have to stick it in their faces.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-12-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    If the collection disc is smaller in data size than the original discs, then more data must have to be downloaded through the updater.
    Do you know what the capacity of a DVD is, or are you just trying to sound knowledgeable again?
    (1)
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

Character
    Cardgrey
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    <,< seekers should be download or blue ray only lol just my Opinion. to everyone who said ps2 players get with the times i tell u pc players to get with the times and get a blueray drive! or download it. and yes my comp has a blue ray drive <,<
    (1)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Do you know what the capacity of a DVD is, or are you just trying to sound knowledgeable again?
    The size of a single sided 2 layer DVD under the DVD-9 specification is 7.95 GB (or more accurately GiB). What are you trying to say. (1 side 1 layer DVD-5 is 4.37 GB)

Are you just trying to be an ass again? I guess you didn't read the part about not trying to insult me?

It is is a physical unlikelyhood that there is so much overlap between each individual expansion/game disc that we can condense 8 GB worth of data into 3GB. That's some amazing compression if they really did that, especially considering any DVD specification that could fit the data on the collection disc has plenty room for more data.

As I said before, there is a simple way to determine how much overlap there actually is, and that's by the data downloaded in the update process. But i'm not sure why you even started talking about this in the first place. We already know that a collection disc will be available for the xbox. So if we're talking about disc sizes because SoA should fit onto a collection disc, guess what: it will. But odds are it won't include any of the update data and with good reason: The total actual size of my FFXI install folder is nearly 14GB. Uncompressed it would only fit into a double sided quad layer DVD (or a blu-ray). So offering all data, up to date, on a single disc so no or minimal updating is required afterwards is impractical. They could include more data, and reduce the updating time, but they couldn't include all of it- and it would quickly go out of date anyway.

If not, I concede that really don't have a farking clue what you're talking about or why and I'm not sure how anyone else could either. Because your point, if you have one, is not obvious. This thread is asking for new collection discs/installs to include a fuller amount of the game data so you dont spend several hours updating- at least, that's what I gather from the original post. My understanding is you're trying to support the OP's argument. Hopefully, my feeble mind at least understands that part?
    (2)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-13-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Character
    Roehgaez
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 4
    I have the old PS2 box of XI that came with the HDD, Treasures version for 360, a standard edition with Zilart, a 2007 collection, a 2008 collection, and the two Ultimate collections all for PC - I'll definitely buy a boxed version of SoA. I don't regret my XIV CE or XIV gamepad even though they're just collecting dust now, I like boxed games.
    (0)

Character
    Kitanashia
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    tell me why it is people think GiB is more accurate than GB? it isnt, the whole GiB thing is BS, its not even technical, it was added by someone who wanted to sound smarter, the correct technical terms are KB(KiloByte)/kb(kilobit) MB(MegaByte)/mb(megabit) GB(GigaByte)/gb(gigabit) TB(TeraByte)/tb(terabit) these new terms, they just add a letter, which is a waste of space, honestly adapting these new terms makes no sense at all
    the technical term for GigaByte is NOT GiB it is GB
    (0)
    Try to have fun or it isn't worth playing

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast