Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    On a side note, they should let wyverns be summoned when /drg. The "wyvern defines the job" is a silly excuse. Out of all the pet jobs Drg relies on its pet the least. I would say PUP is alot more pet focused and you can still use the automaton...

I guess they should rephrase it as "DRG lacks uniqueness/gimmicks without its wyvern" in which case they should work on changing that instead
    (0)

Player
    you should look up translation pages from jp to english or from dutch to english... they state that it isn't a defining feature of the job it is the job itself the wyvern is apart of dragoon as a main job.
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Umichi View Post
    you should look up translation pages from jp to english or from dutch to english... they state that it isn't a defining feature of the job it is the job itself the wyvern is apart of dragoon as a main job.
    The REAL reason why /drg can't have the call wyvern ability... is because that ability is DRG's 2hr.... or 1hr for you noobs.
    The coding in it is that the ability isn't available as a sub because it's still a 2hr according to the game... even though it's time has been drastically reduced and DRG has another 2hr.
    I suppose they COULD go in and change the flag on the ability or whatever.... but there are more pressing concerns... maybe in a few years they might change its coding... but it's not a priority.
    (0)

Player
    yes please putting it into scientific terms makes it seem so logical to just remove the 2hr coding so people can use it for a sub-job... but you still miss the point that the creators did not want this to happen...
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    yes please putting it into scientific terms makes it seem so logical to just remove the 2hr coding so people can use it for a sub-job... but you still miss the point that the creators did not want this to happen...
    The creators intended for the call wyvern to be the equivalent of Benediction or Astral Flow...
    Then they realized how stupid they were and changed that.

But the biggest thing is... said creators... are no longer the creators.
    To quote Alex Rosewater:
    "This world has a new order now. It has a new god!"
    And that "god's" name is Matsui.

Your argument is that the call wyvern ability is the "job defining characteristic"... but can't that also be said for Jumps? And what about Dancer's job abilities? They are all iconic of that job.... but all exist when subbed... the same for pretty much every job ability barring a few "stances" (Afflatus Solace and Misery come to mind)...
    That just doesn't hold water...
    /drg can't call wyvern because it's a programming hold-over from when that was the 2hr.
    iirc, and I can't quite remember when and where, the devs at one point said they'd look into changing it... and I don't recall their exact findings... but I think that it was a more complicated issue than just removing the flag. (I think it had to do with the wyvern behavior... but I can't remember.)

It really has nothing to do with "job iconicity".... it's just programming.
    Like every bug and anomaly in a decade old game.
    (1)
    Last edited by FaeQueenCory; 08-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Player
    you still miss the fact that they said that it is job iconicity... and yet you still try to put reasoning behind it so that way it is no longer job iconicity.
    (0)

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    It really has nothing to do with "job iconicity".... it's just programming.
    Like every bug and anomaly in a decade old game.
    I think it is probably a bit of both. "Job Iconicity" is probably their excuse for being lazy. The problem is, in my opinion by making the job "Iconic" as a main, it lacks any kind of "Iconicity" as a sub job.

Sure you can use Jump when /drg but Jump doesn't provide any kind of utility that would make you choose it over something else. If anything the places should be reversed, make Jump skills available only on DRG main and make Call Wyvern available regardless. At least that way you get some utility out of a wyverns breath attacks.
    (0)

Player
    It's not a matter of being lazy GDI... they don't want the wyvern usable as a sub because of it's lore and background. Hence they found it pointless. Have you ever roleplayed before?
    (0)

Character
    Eliosha
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    you still miss the fact that they said that it is job iconicity... and yet you still try to put reasoning behind it so that way it is no longer job iconicity.
    Except no.
    The reason is due to the wyvern AI. /drg = "divide by zero".... the game can't comprehend what a /drg wyvern would be... and that would involve far too much programming overhaul than the dev wants to do.

So no. It has NOTHING to do with "iconicity"... just like how "he beats me because he loves me" has nothing to do with love.
    It is rationalization on YOUR part that is rationalizing away the Truth of the programming.
    The programming doesn't support /drg wyverns.
    Fact.
    This is one of the only FFs (I actually think it is the only, but I can't speak for all the bloat of side games) where a Drg has a wyvern... meaning that it's only iconic... for FFXI. Jump is the DRG's iconic ability. Not the wyvern.
    (1)
    Last edited by FaeQueenCory; 08-08-2013 at 09:42 PM.

Character
    Kinspawn
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 87
    Quote Originally Posted by FaeQueenCory View Post
    This is one of the only FFs (I actually think it is the only, but I can't speak for all the bloat of side games) where a Drg has a wyvern... meaning that it's only iconic... for FFXI. Jump is the DRG's iconic ability. Not the wyvern.
    Off topic, I really wanted FFXIV DRG to use dragon magic & have a jump similiar to Freya in FFIX. Instead it kinda has nothing interesting at all
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast