Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Axin
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Good Swords and Shields

Can anyone offer me a suggestion for the best easily obtainable sword and shield to use? By "easily obtainable", I mean preferably something I can buy off of the AH or other vendor with reasonable ease while working on some of the better exclusive items. It would also be useful to know if there is a better "tanking" sword and one better for dealing damage if there are better for each category.

I'm recently returned to the game and still using my Macuahuitl+1 and Koenig Shield from back in the day. I'd appreciate any suggestions!
    (0)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Weathering Shield

Honorbound

There are likely others that are better, but these are the easiest obtainable that I can think of. The sword is an Abyssea boss drop, but Bennu is easy to beat down.
    (1)
    Last edited by Caketime; 12-31-2012 at 06:09 AM.

Look on wiki for "sword trials" and look for the earth path ones... one of them, when upgraded, gives something like -12% PDT (paired with weathering shield as it compliments it)

Costs very little other that time and effort until the last 2 stages.. and soil geodes so easy to get. I personally finished mine up to the 85 version within 2 days
    (0)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayoyama View Post
    Look on wiki for "sword trials" and look for the earth path ones... one of them, when upgraded, gives something like -12% PDT (paired with weathering shield as it compliments it)

Costs very little other that time and effort until the last 2 stages.. and soil geodes so easy to get. I personally finished mine up to the 85 version within 2 days
    Weathering Shield, while a poor man's Aegis, is ok. I just don't like the -10 to all elements tacked on it. If you're willing to do some GoV pages in Fei'Yin, the Dagda's Shield drops from locked chests there. It also appears on the AH quite often. Majorelle's Shield is also a good one as well and appears quite often on the AH (Though it's obtainable by doing a Boneyard Gully BCNM) These are probably the 3 best non Aegis, Ochain shields in the game. Argos shield is a decent one as well while doesn't have as high as defense as the others I've listed, with it's +25 all Elemental Defense on it, It's a viable option as well.

Sword on the AH, Pick one that you feel is the best fit for you, until you get a trial sword done.

Sword wise, work your way through the trials and make either, or both a Fire path sword with the +STR +Attack on it or an Earth path sword with the +VIT -PDT trait on it. You should be happy with either one, but if you go Fire path, be prepared to farm flame geodes for a while, because they can be quite expensive.

Main thing is, Find out what works best for you and your playstyle.
    (1)
    Last edited by Teraniku; 01-07-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Character
    Aeonknight
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Teraniku View Post
    Weathering Shield, while a poor man's Aegis, is ok. I just don't like the -10 to all elements tacked on it. If you're willing to do some GoV pages in Fei'Yin, the Dagda's Shield drops from locked chests there. It also appears on the AH quite often. Majorelle's Shield is also a good one as well and appears quite often on the AH (Though it's obtainable by doing a Boneyard Gully BCNM) These are probably the 3 best non Aegis, Ochain shields in the game. Argos shield is a decent one as well while doesn't have as high as defense as the others I've listed, with it's +25 all Elemental Defense on it, It's a viable option as well.

Sword on the AH, Pick one that you feel is the best fit for you, until you get a trial sword done.

Sword wise, work your way through the trials and make either, or both a Fire path sword with the +STR +Attack on it or an Earth path sword with the +VIT +PDT trait on it. You should be happy with either one, but if you go Fire path, be prepared to farm flame geodes for a while, because they can be quite expensive.

Main thing is, Find out what works best for you and your playstyle.
    I think you sorely underestimate the Weathering Shield.

the -10 elemental resistance has next to no negative impact on the damage you sustain in most situations. It doesn't actually increase the damage you take from those elements, it only guarentees that you aren't going to get a damage resist from them (which unless you're going full on resist build, you're not going to resist them anyway.) Now when you consider what it brings to the table, that being 10 MDT and 36 defense, the highest of the size 3 non Ochain/Aegis shields, I'd put it near the top personally.

Most of the shields you listed are not bad by any means. However they seem to cater to needs that can be fulfilled elsewhere.
    Dagda's shield suggests using cure spam to hold hate, but that style of tanking would be better augmented with a Sanus Ensis than the shield, and if you don't have that sword then the 5% is going to be negligible. Still a solid overall shield though.

Majorelle shield has fast cast on it, but that's literally it. I wouldn't turn it down but it's not as important as it used to be back when we were all /NIN.

Argos shield... for the same reasoning why Weathering isn't bad, I'd say Argos is not good. Terrible defense rating with the elemental resist serving no purpose besides straight resist builds, I'd rate this shield below Seigneur honestly.
    (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Teraniku View Post
    Sword wise, work your way through the trials and make either, or both a Fire path sword with the +STR +Attack on it or an Earth path sword with the +VIT +PDT trait on it.
    Erm.. firstly I think you mean -PDT not +PDT (no pld in their right mind would wield a sword with +12% PDT lol). Secondly, PLD isnt a DD, and therefore is not likely to need the STR sword
    (0)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

Erm.. firstly I think you mean -PDT not +PDT (no pld in their right mind would wield a sword with +12% PDT lol). Secondly, PLD isnt a DD, and therefore is not likely to need the STR sword
    Correct, PLD is a tank, and whilst the enmity system is completely broken, the only way to tank is to deal damage.

Saying PLD is not likely to need the STR magian sword, is like saying PLD shouldn't need Excalibur or Almace.
    (5)

Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    Correct, PLD is a tank, and whilst the enmity system is completely broken, the only way to tank is to deal damage.

Saying PLD is not likely to need the STR magian sword, is like saying PLD shouldn't need Excalibur or Almace.
    Fair enough, had momentarily forgotten about that lol

Touché!

Although for the time/gil investment.. I would recommend making an almace/WoE sword over a str one..

EDIT: Although this also comes back to today's strategies of "why tank what you can zerg instead".. o PLD you really do need to be fixed (along with the emnity system)
    (0)
    Last edited by Mayoyama; 01-07-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Character
    Teraniku
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    lol Fixed thanks
    (0)

Character
    Carth
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Although for the time/gil investment.. I would recommend making an almace/WoE sword over a str one..
    A STR Shikagar is so ridiculously easy to make that I would say any PLD that doesn't have Almace/Excalibur should at least have this one. The only thing that could possibly hold you back is Flame Geodes.
    (0)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast