Character
    Edyth
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99

Certain quests causing irreversible damage when completed

Dear Square-Enix,

Currently, there are six quests that, when completed, punish the player permanently, in a way that can never be undone on that character. They are booby traps, but the only metaphorical "boobies" caught in these "trap" quests are ambitious new players who have not yet made enough good friends in FFXI to have someone deter them from making an irreversible mistake (or six) that will forever punish their FFXI character.
    I'm talking about the quests:
    • Trial-size Trial by Earth
    • Trial-size Trial by Fire
    • Trial-size Trial by Ice
    • Trial-size Trial by Lightning
    • Trial-size Trial by Water
    • Trial-size Trial by Wind
    When a player completes any of these quests, they receive the avatar of the element respective to the quest's name. These quests were designed to give new players a chance to obtain their avatars early without the help of others, I'm certain. However, what these quests truly grant is an irreversible revocation of a valuable transportation device for Summoners: the "mini-fork warp". This allows players whose current job is Summoner to trade an item to an NPC in order to instantly transport to a Cloister battlefield. If the quests are completed however, that Cloister teleportation is forever lost, and the player's "reward" is an avatar that they could've gotten through a much easier method.

It is far easier for a low-level player to simply have a high-level friend defeat the uncapped versions of the avatars for them. Players fortunate enough to have such good friends do the battles for them are not punished. But lonely players without friends to deter them from the booby traps worked hard to complete six very difficult solo battles with no one except Carbuncle to help them. And now, some of them, years later, look back and groan at their young, foolish, brave, incredibly tough selves, and how they took the hardest path possible, and now are forever left out of the loop as their buddies teleport straight to the Cloister of Flames from Kazham, and they, the ones who became seasoned avatar annihilators at some of the earliest levels of their summoner pilgrimages, have to walk through the jungle and a volcano while everyone else waits. This is especially troublesome for alliances attempting the quest "Waking the Beast".

I am aware that this isn't truly a glitch, but the punishments for completing this quest are currently irreversible and damaging to players. It's extremely rare in FFXI for something to be permanently ruined for your character, even through the game's glitches, and those few things, like dropping the Evoker's Ring, for example, are usually the player's fault. But these "Trial-size" booby traps punish new players who rose up to an incredible challenge and conquered it.

Is there any chance that the reward for never completing these six quests (instant teleportation to the six cloisters) could be extended to players who have completed them as well? Currently, the quests' rewards are more like punishments, considering the avatars can be obtained from far easier quests, and without losing these valuable transportation NPCs.

Regards,
    Edyth of Quetzalcoatl
    Paragon of Summoner Excellence,
    Interrupter of Dreams,
    Rainbow Weaver,
    and
    Heir of the New Moon, the Blessed Radiance, the Blighted Gloom, the Realm of Dreams,
    and the Great Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, and Lightning
    (2)

Greetings, Edyth!
    Thank you for posting your concerns about the Trial-size Trials. I understand how tough it can be to get through these quests, so I will make sure to move this thread from "In-Game Bugs" to "Missions & Quests," so that your comments can be properly viewed in the correct forum. Thanks again for your participation!
    (0)

Character
    Chronofantasy
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Hey Edyth~ I know you from Quetz. ^^ Yes, that would seem like a pain for the summoners who already completed them and I know one of my friends from a long time ago completed them when summoner was his first main. This was back in the day when the game world felt so real to us that I would pretend to be the guardian for his female character's summoner.

I am fortunate that I didn't lvl SMN until a few years later so I already obtained all the avatars through prime fights and I still have these quests remaining which I purposely saved for last. Now that I have Waking of the Beast completed (which those quests came in handy to warp to the avatar crystals fast) I think I got everything I needed out of the prime fights and any other fights based in those cloisters that I will soon face the solo SMN fights to complete the quests since I'm a quest junky.

I still hope SE will fix this though in case I ever need to go to those cloisters in the future for anything and also to help out other players that need them.
    (0)

Character
    Letsboogie
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 5
    I didn't even know you could get around this way. Honestly though travel has never been easier in this game. Saying that losing out on a form of SMN only travel that many people probably don't even know about or use is irreversible damabe and player punishment is a little extreme don't you think? The way you were describing it sounded like you were about to say that the millioncorn quests permanently prevents outpost warping. /shrug
    (2)

Character
    Sonshou
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 98
    While it does cause inconvinence to some, this is what it intended to be. It is the players find a way to go around things, like the invention of ninja blink tanking.

As much as I agree that completing those quest give you more inconvinence, I do not think anything should be done about it.

But I would love to see a new reward from defeating a prime avatar.... to teleport to the Cloister with ease. Full Moon Fountain and the battle area for diabolos included.
    (0)

Character
    Nepharite
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 90
    In before they remove the instant tele part of the quest.
    (0)

I don't think they intend on forcing level 20 summoners to walk through temple of ugglepih. Though you could grab those carby mitts on the way!

Though it is actually an abuse of game mechanics, so if SE ever felt like it, they could ban people for using it. Not that I expect them to care about summoners warping around.
    (0)

Character
    Rhystheexiled
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    tbh my opinion of this being "punishment" is retarded. first off those quests were meant to obtain avatars to a low level smn. lazy summoners are prolly because theywouldnt be able to warp to a cloister. (boo who) it wasnt meant as a way to cheat and warp places unintended. get there the way u should like everyone else.
    "and thats all i have to say about that"-forrest gump
    (2)
    90 THF RDM WHM BLM NIN
    Quetzalcoatl
    Real men pull with Mijin Gakur

Character
    Meare
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 90
    This isn't really a punishment.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    You are not being "punished" for completing those quests. They were not originally intended to be used by someone not intending to complete those quests. It's just a side effect / abused bonus. The quests should be changed so that clearing either quest ends the teleport capability.

The only reason that teleport exists is so that a level 20 summoner doesn't have to walk through areas full of level 70+ mobs.
    (4)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast