Character
    Evandis
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

SoA Expansion Buying Options

First, I just want to express, that while I have no problem upgrading from PS2 to 360, I really was disappointed that this game is being released in March instead of Summer like originally stated. As an automotive technician, I make a quite considerable amount more of money in the spring/summer than winter times.

So anyway, I play on the 360 and my wife plays on the PS2. I will be getting her a 360 soon and I have some questions.

1. If you buy the Collector's Edition that comes with everything for 39.99, will it come with a separate code for SoA so people who already have characters can still use them and have the expansion? I would really like to buy 2 as my 2008 edition is getting a bit scratched and having a newer client on disk for reinstalls would be nice.

2. If not, will you be able to apply the code in the CE to your current character so you can still get the benefit of the new disk and the expansion? This makes it easier than having to find a used copy plus buy the expansion for people switching from the PS2. Otherwise, will you be able to play the game with the SoA disk in the system, so I can just use my 2008 edition to install on my wife's new 360?
    (1)

Character
    Luso
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    I'm not sure how the discs for the console work (whether or not you can use an old disc [original or expansion] to load up the current game or not; I have the 2008 Vana'diel Collection for the 360, and it contains all 4 current expansions, so I wouldn't know. I play mostly on the PC.), but the codes for all collections are encompassed into one code. There are no separate codes for each of the expansions, add-ons and battle add-ons; they are all gathered into one code. So, once you use it, even if you have any of the previous expansions, it will simply add whatever it is you don't have; the code itself will be added to your account, as well, alongside the other codes you have entered, for SE support's sake.

I'm not sure if it will comes with multiple discs, but if it does, I'm pretty sure any of them will be able to boot into POL since POL will be installed on the 360 and the disc simply allows the game to be launched.
    (0)

From a PC user's perspective, it is possible to install the software from any disc, as the expansion availability is determined on your SE account, not on the system itself. If xbox works like PC, I would recommend buying one copy of the CE to use for (re-)installation (and back up), and then buy a non-CE for the other character, since all you are really paying for on the second copy is the ability to use the content from the expansion
    (0)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    1. If you buy the Collector's Edition that comes with everything for 39.99, will it come with a separate code for SoA so people who already have characters can still use them and have the expansion? I would really like to buy 2 as my 2008 edition is getting a bit scratched and having a newer client on disk for reinstalls would be nice.
    It's not a "collector's edition", it's just the whole game and all expansions in one purchase. There's no trinkets or goodies.

If you buy the collection it's most likely going to be one code and not seperate codes, so no, you won't be able to give the other expansions to someone else. But the way you're wording your question is confusing. It doesn't matter whether you already have characters or not, you can use the code in the complete collection regardless of whether or not you've already started playing.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 01-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Character
    Mariane
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Regarding the discs, PS2 and XBOX360 discs contain only system specific DRM measures. They're meant to prevent people from using illegal copies. The PS2 DRM does generate some identifying data which is specific to the console, hard disk drive and disc combination. Besides that anyone with a PlayOnline account can use it to log in to the game.

Same with the XBOX360, but the discs do not contain any specific information regarding binding.

If you think about it, it's perfectly fine that the developers expect compensation for their hard work so making the code single/unique per copy and not "shareable" is perfectly fine ...

So buy one per account, ok ? lol
    (0)