Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Mystery of the three Strange Apparatus

Recently, I have been wondering about these three strange apparatus that have been in the game since the beginning and seem to have no use. I am talking about the ones located in King Ramps Tomb, Fei'Yin, and Ranguemont Pass.

All these years and they seem to have no use. I researched some forum threads from years ago and people have tried trading several items to them and nothing. I have tried trading chips to them from limbus and Pso'xja with no results. I am currently working on getting doctor status on the other 8 to see if that will change anything.

This has just been bugging me for a while. Maybe they have no use at all and I'm just wasting my time. Anyone else have any ideas to try?
    (12)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    dont waste your time with it. They are offline, disabled, nonfunctional. getting doctor status has been done before, it doesn't matter. They simply are nonfunctional. It is likely they intended to be used later and either forgot about them or simply havent used them yet.

But maybe if you go to sea and hit all the ebon panels and kill absolute virtue with 18 PUPs then reach the secret minus floor in nyzul isle, you'll reactivate them.
    (3)

Character
    Abbylu
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Actually, back in the old days, if you traded a color chip, and something else I think, and had your super secret code, the apparatus would spit you out an item. The item of choice was an Arcane Flower pot. It's been so very long since I've done it, I don't fully remember all the ins and outs. I'd venture to say that I found the info on Alla, but it could have been Somepage or even KI.

! An infinity core. That was the something else.
    (1)

Character
    Ziyyigotipyigo
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    PUP Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverZero View Post
    Recently, I have been wondering about these three strange apparatus that have been in the game since the beginning and seem to have no use. I am talking about the ones located in King Ramps Tomb, Fei'Yin, and Ranguemont Pass.
    They exist more as bits of lore than anything to interact with, really. You'll note they have the same colors as the three chips you can get in Pso'xja. They're non-functional specifically because of their proximity to Fei'Yin (rewatch your Rise of the Zilart cutscenes if need be).

If something were to interact with them, it'd probably be something added with Adoulin. Otherwise, I note that the functional ones are not even accessible during the Crystal War Era. Now, is that just a programming oversight, or is that itself part of lore...
    (4)
    Last edited by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo; 01-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.
    Nothing in the above post is intended to disparage Square Enix or FINAL FANTASY XI, or to criticize Square Enix staff; such behavior would be a violation of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement. Any such violations of the FINAL FANTASY XI User Agreement should be reported to Square Enix immediately, by using the "Report Post" icon in the bottom-left of forum posts.

No Moogles were harmed in the making in this post. Stars save the Sibyl!

I'm pretty sure there are a couple targetable spots in sea that I've been told dont really do anything either... much like the infamous "missing no." pokemon in red/blue.. theyre probably programmed to be there but didnt get finished by the time it got pushed out.. and never got fixed either
    (0)
    As I stand looking out from my mog house window, I reminisce about the old days and the many ups and downs of my adventures throughout Vana'diel.

It is then that I know achievement.

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbylu View Post
    Actually, back in the old days, if you traded a color chip, and something else I think, and had your super secret code, the apparatus would spit you out an item. The item of choice was an Arcane Flower pot. It's been so very long since I've done it, I don't fully remember all the ins and outs. I'd venture to say that I found the info on Alla, but it could have been Somepage or even KI.

! An infinity core. That was the something else.
    thats what happens at the other 8 apparatuses that actually work. He's talking about the three others that exist but are offline if you check them.
    (2)

Character
    Dragmagi
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Oh there was a process to get codes from those on wiki but you'll need a drop from dyna statues and a color chip. It'll make you some some stuff like arcane flower pot, rune weapons, and or crystal clusters. Generally not worth the time.
    (0)

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by dragmagi View Post
    Oh there was a process to get codes from those on wiki but you'll need a drop from dyna statues and a color chip. It'll make you some some stuff like arcane flower pot, rune weapons, and or crystal clusters. Generally not worth the time.
    Again, they're talking about the three that are completely dysfunctional, not the ones that actually DO work. That is, there are three Strange Apparatus that do -absolutely nothing whatsoever-, and cannot be traded the appropriate chip/core arrangement that the others can. Heck, you can't even trade a wrong one and spawn one of those elementals, IIRC.
    (6)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziyyigo-Tipyigo View Post
    They exist more as bits of lore than anything to interact with, really. You'll note they have the same colors as the three chips you can get in Pso'xja. They're non-functional specifically because of their proximity to Fei'Yin (rewatch your Rise of the Zilart cutscenes if need be).

If something were to interact with them, it'd probably be something added with Adoulin. Otherwise, I note that the functional ones are not even accessible during the Crystal War Era. Now, is that just a programming oversight, or is that itself part of lore...
    Hmm, maybe I will check out some old cut scenes. Haven't thought of that yet.

Oh yeah, and I tried to access the functioning ones during the crystal war as well. The Garlaige Citadel(S) one was blocked by a wall which couldn't be walked through. I couldn't figure out how to get to the lower levels of Crawler's Nest(S), it was blocked off by a fence.

Another interesting thing is that in these older threads from 2005 several people mentioned that the Fei'Yin Apparatus had a cyan crystal in it. I have visited it three times recently and it was a dark crystal each time. I am almost wondering if they were on to something back then, but just gave up.
    (0)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Yeah they seemed to make a concerted effort to block off Zilart related stuff in WotG. Along with what you discovered, you can't go through the Pass at all. Fei Yin is blocked off by an avalanche. You can't get into Jeuno, Qufim, Dangruf Wadi, or Zi'Tah. The crag zones are all cut off and bypassed by new zones. Not only that, but there aren't any Weapon mobs running around any of the visible Crystal Line structures.
    (2)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast