Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Stackable Warp scrolls plus the option to specify the amount purchased would be rad.
    (9)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    Warp Cudgels were horribly killed as a way of effectively making gil when they reduced Treat Staff II to a 20 hour recast and made Warp Scrolls so cheap to obtain.
    I'm aware of all this, and yet, somehow, in the back of my mind, I think SE would be bringing it up as an issue, like they did with changing certain stack sizes (and even when people suggested non-AH usable bags, or even ex tagged bags to stack them, SE did nothing).

Perhaps I'm just being pessimistic today, but I just think they'd bring it up, so having our best arguments forward seems sensible (now if they listen is another thing...).

If they took my suggestion of making a charged item have a 30-1 hour recast and applied that to Warp Cudgel, it'd help Woodworking (One of the worst crafts in the game) and make warping more convenient.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here, I thought Warp Cudgels have 30 charges and 1 hour recast (although the recast should be reduced really). The ~10k profit (at least on my server, if you buy the mats all off AH, including the Anima to Ensorcel) of selling a Warp Cudgel is probably not too great, but between this and Bolts/Arrows/Tools/Furnishings I generally have a positive view of Woodworking, but I always hear complaints from Woodworkers. I imagine the number of complaints must do with crafting not being as profitable as it once was or not being able to make Elemental Staves 2.0 or something, but I think I might be missing something.
    (0)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeroe View Post
    Although yes there are other ways like I mentioned above, It really more for convenience and situational purposes. The spell should be allowed to be further expanded upon rather than just making it so only /blm can warp. Nothing wrong with scrolls, cudgels, etc, just making your class all the more versatile is fine be me.
    I'm not sure what isn't convenient about any of the other options.

Asking the devs to look into something that isn't really a problem will distract them from looking into something that really is.

Also, I didn't even consider the economy, and I rather agree that obsoleting warp cudgels probably isn't a good idea.
    (0)
    Last edited by Alhanelem; 12-24-2012 at 01:55 AM.

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    I'm not quite sure what you mean here, I thought Warp Cudgels have 30 charges and 1 hour recast (although the recast should be reduced really).
    Welp, goes to show how often I actually bother using my woodworking anymore if I can't even keep track of that. I was still under the mindset that the things had a 20-hour recast but I guess they lowered the recast on these too.

The ~10k profit (at least on my server, if you buy the mats all off AH, including the Anima to Ensorcel) of selling a Warp Cudgel is probably not too great, but between this and Bolts/Arrows/Tools/Furnishings I generally have a positive view of Woodworking, but I always hear complaints from Woodworkers. I imagine the number of complaints must do with crafting not being as profitable as it once was or not being able to make Elemental Staves 2.0 or something, but I think I might be missing something.
    Ultimately the biggest problem with Woodworking is inventory management. Creating consumables is a very inventory-intensive task and it didn't help when that they made arrowheads and anima stack to 99, because it means you are committing yourself to creating an absurdly large supply of the item you plan on making. (If I'm going to bother leveling another craft on a mule so i can make the arrowheads/anima myself, I might as well just go make something more profitable in the realm of that skill).

With ammunition, the problem is that, plus I have to buy a on of flowers and travel out to the quivering guy to package them all for easy selling. It's a lot of legwork and a lot of wasted inventory (which I don't have, and telling me to use a mule to craft isn't very helpful when I can't mail my craftskill level) and ultimately the amount of gil I would make doing that averages out to be way less than if I just did something else that wasn't mind-numbingly boring and tedious. I could do Einherjar and sell Valkyrie Tears. I could do Limbus and sell ABCs. I could do Dynamis and sell ancient currency. It's dumb that when maxing out a craft ends up making me have to jump through more hoops only to make less money doing something basically every other player can do, and is (argubly) a lot more fun. I guess you could argue it's very subjective whether it's more fun to watch crystals spinning or to go bash some goblins though.

Aside from that, arrows are not too popular anymore because Rangers definitely largely favor guns over bows nowadays, and that's in the realm of alchemy/smithing and not woodworking. SE has also alluded to greatly increasing a Ranger's Recycle trait so try to figure out their consideration of the economy on that one.

Furthermore, there is little advantage to me being a main woodworker if we're talking about the Warp Cudgels specifically, because they're a level 44 craft that lacks an HQ. High-level woodworking crafts are not very profitable. Compared to a Maxed Smithy hitting the jackpot on a Tier 1'd synth (E Body) or a various crafts making tens to hundreds of millions when they make an HQ hexed, Woodworking gets to make Nathushne, which is a mediocre weapon and thus has a horrible profit margin, if it has one at all after factoring in breaks.

tl;dr on first glance it looks like woodworking can make decent profits, but in application you're spending too much time doing legwork, preliminary crafts etc for it to beat any of the less tedious ways of moneymaking. Unless you bot crafting. But nobody does that, right?
    (1)
    Last edited by Kincard; 12-24-2012 at 03:07 AM.

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Aside from that, arrows are not too popular anymore because Rangers definitely largely favor guns over bows nowadays, and that's in the realm of alchemy/smithing and not woodworking. SE has also alluded to greatly increasing a Ranger's Recycle trait so try to figure out their consideration of the economy on that one.
    Probably just gonna meander wildly off topic here, but I'll consider it okay since people have given a valiant effort to smash economics as an excuse for warp items already, which really satisfies any qualms I have of being dismissive of it (although I still doubt SE is going to actually change anything, sadly). I'll probably be making really weak points here and going on a tangent, but that's really the spirit of any forum so whatever.

Now, while I could argue about bolts still being useful (thanks to the lower costs I know more and more people who are favoring status bolts) or what have you, I think a bigger issue that pops up here comes down to people resenting having to pay to play their jobs when certain other jobs don't necessarily have to.

While we have (good) melees eating their food for attack boosts or whatever is hot now, Ninjas using their tools (and often universal tools that aren't craftable at that), ranged jobs using bolts/bullets and eatting their ranged foods, tanks where they still exist eating defense (or combination attack/defense foods), and almost everyone using Reraise items (be it Reraiser, Hairpin/Earring, or even Scapegoat), we don't generally have a lot of mages eating food or drinking juice or potions (sometimes rarely you'll see an Elixir type potion get a swig if you're lucky).

Now, this and points you brought up show a few problems with consumables right now.

First, mages have crappy food, and could be chewing on wood for better stat boosts then what foods give them. Since SE doesn't seem to listen to food requests based on cooking, I propose we have "Wand/Staff Toothpicks" that are consumable items that generate a food effect that is actually worth using. Cooks aren't getting profits off of mages at this point anyways, so making recipes where Woodworkers turn stat wands and NQ elemental staves into magic toothpicks is the natural progression. Additionally, woodworkers could also be involved in crafting the sticks for stat boosting lollipops as well, and magic charcoal for cooking ingredients as well.

Second, it takes a ton of ingredients what with the bagging and stacking of consumables. Now, crafting can only take eight ingredients, and can only produce one slot of items, and Synergy is supposed to take up the slack on these limitations, but I'm sure there could be high level recipes that woodworkers can use that don't all involve Synergy could be introduced.

For example, a high level Woodworker (possibly with a new bagging KI) could craft their respective Ninja Tools from either more materials or more raw materials. One such recipe could be for Toolbag (Shihe) - 3 Bast Parchment, 3 Black Ink, 1 Bundling Kit (or whatever it would be called), with results of 1 Toolbag NQ, 2 Toolbags HQ1, 3 Toolbags HQ2, 4 Toolbags HQ3. This basic recipe and bagging KI could also be extended for other Woodworking recipes (Kawahori-Ogi, Mizu-Deppo, Uchitake), Goldsmiths (Hiraishin), Alchemists (Jusatsu, Kodoku, Sairui-Ran, Tsurara), Clothcrafters (Kaginawa, Sanjaku-Tenugui, Shinobi-Tabi), Smiths (Makibishi).

This can also be extended to Arrows/Bolts as well, ideally with the Boltmaker KI (which is kindof useless right now, although changing it could probably use a rename) or with the before mentioned bagging KI. SE could start by making Synergy only recipes producible with Woodworking but only with the KI, such as Ruszor Arrows, and Gargouille Arrows, and previously unbaggable arrows like Marid Arrows could be baggable with the new crafting recipes. They could do the same for Synergy only bolts, and make it possible to mass produce stuff like Bloody Bolts by having the Boltmaker recipe make Quivers instead of bolts.

Third, universal tools aren't craftable. I think SE should add a Synergy or crafting recipe that takes the six respective Ninja toolbags that make a Shika/Cho/Ino Toolbag and spits out 6 or more toolbags (if it is a crafting recipe it could spit out 6 on NQ, 12 on HQ, but it if is Synergy it could spit out 6/12/18/24 easy). Easy as pie, and crafters would benefit (although prices on tools might rise for /NIN users unless SE does everyone a solid favor and makes the universal tools subjob usable if this does occur). Additionally SE might want to consider making the universal tools sell Guildshop style (maybe an NPC with the Conquest winners) to make crafters have an easier time competing with the prices.

Totally off topic, I know, but mages need their toothpicks, large scale consumable production shouldn't be so painful, and unversal ninja tools need to be craftable.
    (0)

Character
    Kurdtray
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    So instead of using many of the in game methods available to port home, you want the dev team to use valuable time and resources that could be put to better use on actual problems of the game on this minor Inconvenience? Yep that makes sense.
    (3)

Character
    Danntay
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Because it would take so much time to add a job to warp II or to make warp scrolls stack to 99
    (5)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantedmc View Post
    Because it would take so much time to add a job to warp II or to make warp scrolls stack to 99
    Well, they already claim that a lot of other things that should be simple fixes are too hard or would take too long, so I'm not going to endorse adding this one to the pile - because it's really not needed, as nice as it may be. Call me "no police" if you want, but there are a LOT of other "nice things" they could change that would matter a lot more.
    (1)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by StingRay104 View Post
    So instead of using many of the in game methods available to port home, you want the dev team to use valuable time and resources that could be put to better use on actual problems of the game on this minor Inconvenience? Yep that makes sense.
    Yes. Deal with it.
    (5)

Character
    Yru
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    How to explain non-mage jobs having teleport/warp(2)/retrace/recall/other (not meant to be too serious):

Escape:
    THF or NIN - Escape Route: Finds a secret tunnel that brings you directly out of the dungeon. (Sort of like the Escape Rope item in Pokemon)

Warp:
    SAM - Seppuku/Hara-Kiri: Takes own life to allow oneself to return to home point. (exp will be lost)
    BLU - Homing Instinct: Finely tuned animal instincts allow for a swift return home.

Repatriate/Retrace:
    PLD - Return: Same effect as Return Ring, but also works in [S] areas (teleports to the Campaign Arbiter) and Aht Urhgan areas (Teleports to staging point). Allows for the swift return to one's home nation to answer calls to arms.

Misc:
    DRG - Sky Chariot: Deploys a parachute from high in the air, utilizing the Wyvern for steering. Must have Parachute (Clothcraft recipe) equipped in ranged slot in order to use. (Unsure if this should be Teleport, Warp, or something else)
    SMN - Echo Drift: Transports the user through the nearest Cavernous Maw if one is present.
    BST - Fly/Migration/Carrier: When using airborne/bird jug pets (which the game is kinda lacking), this option becomes available for either teleporting or returning oneself or party members to home point. Only one target per use, and the pet is dismissed.
    PUP - (no idea what to name this): Allows the use of either teleport or warp depending on the frame/head used.
    GEO - Tidal Serpent: Calls the spirit of the planet to transport the user's party across great distances. (See also: Tidal Talisman)
    DRK - Umbral Nexus: Melts into the shadows to return to the party's overlord. (Same effect as Nexus Cape.)
    SCH - Syllabus: Produces a Field Manual or Grounds Tome for use by the Scholar. Manual/Tome's contents depend on area. (Will offer all options from that area's book, including Field Support such as Repatriation and Homing Instinct, and will consume tabs accordingly. This ability is unavailable if no such book is present.)

I realize a lot of these are far fetched. As I mentioned above, I'm really not serious about any of it. It's just fun to imagine what SE could do if they really wanted. I'm interested to see what others might come up with.

Edit: I guess the point of all this is to remind us that we don't necessarily need to bash the idea of giving more jobs teleports when the idea itself is already crazy. I think one of the bigger issues with warp/teleport is that BLM and WHM are situational subjobs at best, usually for other magic classes that can get more from them than convenient transportation. Giving them to Red Mage or Scholar only fixes part of the problem (I don't like to whm/blm, so warp would be nice for /sch). I'm sure a lot of front line jobs would love to have a bit of the same convenience, which is why I tried to find lore-related ways to justify how some jobs could pull it off without necessarily needing magic. (mind you it's 5:30 am on Christmas Eve, so I blame fatigue if these ideas kinda suck).
    (1)
    Last edited by Yrusama; 12-24-2012 at 08:26 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast