Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Character
    Mantower
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 49
    Hello I'm brand new to this game and really want to build a strong samurai. As I'm sure you can imagine the waves of confusion are crashing against me on a daily basis.

My noobish samurai questions are:

What level should I stop to gear up? Do I just powerlevel to 99 in abyssea then work on skills after?

And why am I using great katana over polearm? First I give up 5 hit pentathrust then 4 hit 100% str mod starcaller. All for the sake of a bunch of 2 hitting katana skills? What am I missing?
    (0)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyYO View Post

And why am I using great katana over polearm? First I give up 5 hit pentathrust then 4 hit 100% str mod stardiver. All for the sake of a bunch of 2 hitting katana skills? What am I missing?
    A decent polearm
    best polearm sam have acces : Draca couse
    DMG:112 Delay:480 STR+7
    lvl87 war drg sam

GK WS have attack modifier and/or higher fTP values
    (0)

Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    After leveling all jobs to 75 and most to 99 (in progress), it really just depends on how you intend to level. If you aby burn it which I don't care for if you intend to use the job, then gear up at 1, 10, 30, and then 99. If this is your first time playing through and/or you care about bringing your skills to "reasonable" levels as you go, then you will follow the following path.
    • Lvl1 - starter gear - starter zones (Solo)
    • Lvl10-14 - Scale Mail - Konschtat Highlands (solo)
    • Lvl10-30 - Scale Mail - Gusgen Mines
      Bit of variance here because you can continue leveling on your own for a bit or jump straight into a Gusgen Mines book burn alliance, the latter being much faster.
    • Lvl30-60 - Gi's or Mail - Crawler's Nest
      Not going for stats here, just more DEF so you don't die immediately from taking hate.
    • Lvl60-78 - Artifact Armor - Bostaneaux Obliette
      Should have AF anyway, as a few pieces are decent, but most of all it enhances you more than other pieces would and it is free. Also may want to pick up a Soboro Sukehiro while you're at it for the OA2-3 and skillup+
    • Lvl78-99 - Perle/Relic Armor - Abyssea
      People can rag me all they want, but Perle is the baseline heavy DD piece at 78-98. Relic also works if you have it much like AF does. Once you hit 99, you can start building out your SAM normally.

As for your second question, Hiko was pretty accurate. SAMs use GKs because Tachi: Shoha is our bread and butter WS useable with any GK. Even with a dinky OA2-4 GK it does considerable damage. As a SAM, you should carry a Quint Spear, high damage polearm, High damage GK, and an OA2-X GK. If you are interested, may want to look into carrying a bow too.
    (1)
    Last edited by Delvish; 05-15-2013 at 10:01 PM.
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

Character
    Mantower
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 49
    Ok thanks for the reply, very helpful.
    (0)

It seems that nowadays, as long as you have the Delve GK, all you need is sushi and a bit of acc in your gear and capped haste, and you can out-damage just about every other DD job in the game. That's in delve of course. Outside delve, drop the sushi for att food. Oh, and Shoha 5/5 of course, or you won't benefit from the complete brokenness of SAM.

That's right, SE has done it again.
    (1)

Character
    Nailah
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyYO View Post

And why am I using great katana over polearm? First I give up 5 hit pentathrust then 4 hit 100% str mod starcaller. All for the sake of a bunch of 2 hitting katana skills? What am I missing?
    What you are missing is the fact that "many hits" do not equal "good damage" on Weaponskills. There is for example Rana, which is a three hit weapon skill and yet it will never beat Fudo, ever and Fudo is a one hit Weaponskill. In that regard Fudo as well is a much better Weaponskill than Shoha as long as you cap your attack. It simply scales better. What turns the favor towards Shoha though is the fact that has an attack bonus as one of its' attributes, which means, you can have lower attack and still deal maximum damage. This in turn makes Shoha stronger on hard and really defensive content.
    Same with tachi: Kaiten. When you have capped attack and WS at 100% it is the best weaponskill you can use as SAM, it even beats Fudo (only with a level 99 Amanomurakumo) but since Kaiten doesn't become stronger the more TP you have -unlike Fudo- it looses when you cannot WS at 100% precisely or when you use things like Hagakure giving a TP bonus.

Despite all this, you are right, Stardiver is an amazing Weaponskill especially against weak content and due to the unique properties of SAM it can even deal better damage with it than a DRG, the real Polearm wielders, despite them having access to much better Polearms than SAM has. With the addition of Seekers of Adoulin though, this has lost the truth it once hold. You simply cannot keep up with a 240+ damage polearm by wielding a 112 damage Naginata type Polearm.

Other than that you also should take the skill ratings of the job into account. SAM has a much higher rating in Great Katana than Polearm which means, that there will always be a certain advantage to using a GK (skill 424 versus 388) which is a hefty boost in accuracy and attack. So unless the monsters you are fighting truely are weak Stardiver for you will never beat your Shoha no matter if it has several more hits.

And now a little hint to the OP as well... now with Skirmish 2 gear... please don't jump on the bandwagon and fight in all red... That gear is mostly junk for SAM unless you want to tank. The only armor piece I use are the Otronif hands and it always saddens me when I see others full timing it... and upon asking them why they do so, they answer: cause it is the best now...

(there are so many ... cause it really makes me sad and speechless sometimes)

Sincerely, Leylia
    (0)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3