Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Player airsparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Whence the wind blows
    Posts
    46
    Character
    Katairyu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    After reading through Delvish & Tamoa's posts, it's clear to me that I still have a lot to learn as a Samurai. I'll be honest, I didn't understand half of what you were saying. So it's time for me to get reading up on this even more, thanks for the link, reading it as I type this. Just a few questions though, what are:

    DA/TA/QA

    -DT

    EP Dynamis

    WS Modifiers

    -P/M/DT

    VW Procs

    Cap Lights

    /fume

    ?
    (0)
    ~ I am the clear blue sky ~

  2. #12
    Player Tamoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,061
    Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by airsparrowhawk View Post
    After reading through Delvish & Tamoa's posts, it's clear to me that I still have a lot to learn as a Samurai. I'll be honest, I didn't understand half of what you were saying. So it's time for me to get reading up on this even more, thanks for the link, reading it as I type this. Just a few questions though, what are:

    DA/TA/QA

    -DT

    EP Dynamis

    WS Modifiers

    -P/M/DT

    VW Procs

    Cap Lights

    /fume

    ?

    1. DA/TA/QA = double attack/triple attack/quadruple attack. I.e. gear that will increase your chances of swinging 2/3/4 times per attack round. Examples would be Brutal Earring (double attack), Windbuffet Belt (triple attack and quadruple attack), Ganesha's Mala (quadruple attack).

    2. -DT = -damage taken, i.e. it will reduce the damage you take from both physical and magical attacks.

    3. EP Dynamis = dynamis mobs that check easy prey.

    4. WS modifiers = stats that will increase your ws damage. For example Tachi: Shoha has STR as it's modifier, which means stacking STR gear in your ws gearset will increase your damage.

    5. -P/M/DT = -PDT means -physical damage taken; you take less damage from being hit. -MDT means -magical damage taken; you take less damage from magic. -DT; see 2.

    6. VW procs = magic, weaponskills and job abilities that will stagger the enemy when doing Voidwatch. If you want to learn more, I suggest you check this page out: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Voidwatch.

    7. Cap lights = when doing Voidwatch (VW/VWNM), you want to at least cap red spectral alignment (red light) for a higher chance at the rare drops. Red light is raised by staggering the enemy with magic (specific spells per element). This is also better and more thoroughly explained in the link above.

    8. /fume = sometimes you have bad luck when doing Voidwatch, and for some reason you're unable to stagger the enemy. You have the option to do the /fume emote at the enemy, which will reset it weaknesses. Can only be done by the player with hate, and only every 5 minutes (1st chance 5 minutes after pop).


    Hope that helps. And if you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask.
    (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler
    In the FFXI universe, the down of Phoenix is so fine that it quickly broke down into a sort of dust. Smaller than dust, actually. A barely visible particle.

    This down was carried by the winds of Vana'diel. Some people breathed it in and contracted Phoenix Downs Syndrome. Some of those people post on this very board.

  3. #13
    Player airsparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Whence the wind blows
    Posts
    46
    Character
    Katairyu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamoa View Post
    1. DA/TA/QA = double attack/triple attack/quadruple attack. I.e. gear that will increase your chances of swinging 2/3/4 times per attack round. Examples would be Brutal Earring (double attack), Windbuffet Belt (triple attack and quadruple attack), Ganesha's Mala (quadruple attack).

    2. -DT = -damage taken, i.e. it will reduce the damage you take from both physical and magical attacks.

    3. EP Dynamis = dynamis mobs that check easy prey.

    4. WS modifiers = stats that will increase your ws damage. For example Tachi: Shoha has STR as it's modifier, which means stacking STR gear in your ws gearset will increase your damage.

    5. -P/M/DT = -PDT means -physical damage taken; you take less damage from being hit. -MDT means -magical damage taken; you take less damage from magic. -DT; see 2.

    6. VW procs = magic, weaponskills and job abilities that will stagger the enemy when doing Voidwatch. If you want to learn more, I suggest you check this page out: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Voidwatch.

    7. Cap lights = when doing Voidwatch (VW/VWNM), you want to at least cap red spectral alignment (red light) for a higher chance at the rare drops. Red light is raised by staggering the enemy with magic (specific spells per element). This is also better and more thoroughly explained in the link above.

    8. /fume = sometimes you have bad luck when doing Voidwatch, and for some reason you're unable to stagger the enemy. You have the option to do the /fume emote at the enemy, which will reset it weaknesses. Can only be done by the player with hate, and only every 5 minutes (1st chance 5 minutes after pop).


    Hope that helps. And if you have any further questions, don't be afraid to ask.
    Thanks a lot for the quick response, I really appreciate it.

    I understand pretty much everything now except 'Stagger'. I'll be sure to have a read-up on that link you posted though.

    Everyone on the FFXI Samurai Board is so nice, it's nothing like some of the other game forums I'm on, the Halo forums are in absolute anarchy at the moment. :3

    I'm still in the process of understanding how Samurai builds work (I understand the basic TP & WS phase ideas) and I've assembled a couple of gear sets in order to gain a better understanding of the idea, if you wouldn't mind having a look and giving me some feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    (0)
    ~ I am the clear blue sky ~

  4. #14
    Player Tamoa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,061
    Character
    Tamoa
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Okay, first of all I have to say this: do your CoP missions if you haven't already and get that Rajas Ring and a Brutal Earring, please!


    As for your tp set, here are my suggestions:

    Weapon: lose the Futsuno Mitama, it's too weak now. Get a Kikugosaku at the very least (drops from Orthrus), or if you want to make an effort, make the TP bonus magian GK.

    Grip: Pole Grip or Rose Strap (depending on if you need the store TP or not).

    Ammo: Hagneia Stone for the store TP if necessary. If not I'd stick to Thew Bomblet for tp aswell.

    Head: fine as is.

    Neck: best option is Ganesha's Mala, you should really do VWNM fights! Unkai Nodowa is another option. Anything with some accuracy (and attack) works really, just get an up-to-date piece of gear.

    Ear: Brutal Earring! Otherwise Unkai Mimikazari, I guess Kemas Earring is ok-ish, or an attack earring (NQ Ghillie Earring is dirt cheap and offers some accuracy as well as attack).

    Body: Unkai Domaru +2.

    Hands: Brego Gloves (cheap now), or Karieyh Moufles (free).

    Rings: Rajas Ring! Mars Ring as 2nd ring, they are getting cheap now. Or any ring with accuracy and attack, I have to admit I'm not sure of what might have been added fairly recently that works here, just like with neck armour.

    Back: Atheling Mantle, also from Orthrus - 100% drop rate.

    Waist: get some help with Ovni for a Bullwhip Belt.

    Legs: fine as is.

    Feet: Ace's Leggings from Itzpapalotl offers 1% more haste.


    This tp set makes you overshoot on TP for a 5 hit build, but it pretty much allows you to ws in anything without worrying about losing your hit build. It also has 24% haste.



    Ws set:

    Ammo: fine as is.

    Head: Varangian works I suppose, it's a little outdated but yeah, shouldn't be the first of your priorities.

    Neck: elemental gorgets!

    Ear: Brutal Earring and a str earring - the NQ version of the level 86 str earring doesn't cost a whole lot. Or Kemas, I suppose.

    Body: Twilight Mail? Ace's Mail?

    Hands: Mustela Gloves are pretty decent.

    Rings: 2 str rings, or a str ring and Rajas Ring (if you want to save gil and an inventory slot, the store TP on Rajas isn't needed here though)

    Back: Atheling Mantle.

    Waist: elemental belt!

    Legs: Same as you tp in, or better yet, Karieyh Brayettes.

    Feet: Unkai Sune-Ate +2 or Karieyh Sollerets.


    Bear in mind, these are makeshift sets that I put together in a hurry (have to go out soon!), there might be some better (cheap or free) options for some slots that I haven't thought of.


    I couldn't help but notice this part of your ffxiah post:

    I'm aware of the lack of Haste on any of the gear but I've never fully understood the point of putting Haste into your gear set when so many jobs are able to cast the buff regardless, it's always seemed like such a waste when you could be guaranteeing more consistent hits with greater Accuracy.
    Gear haste and magic haste is NOT the same, and they stack. To help you understand the importance of haste, let me direct you to this thread, which explains it better and more detailed than what I can: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...e-misinformed.

    And by all means, the gear I have listed is far from optimal (aside from a few pieces). I have just tried to put together something that's better than what you currently have and is either cheap or free.







    PS: Btw you cannot under ANY circumstance swap weapons around without losing all your tp. ; ;
    (5)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler
    In the FFXI universe, the down of Phoenix is so fine that it quickly broke down into a sort of dust. Smaller than dust, actually. A barely visible particle.

    This down was carried by the winds of Vana'diel. Some people breathed it in and contracted Phoenix Downs Syndrome. Some of those people post on this very board.

  5. #15
    Player hiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Delvish View Post

    TP phase - Haste+26% > sTP >= and multi-hit gear > Acc/Att. Zanshin counts in that multi-hit gear portion because of Hasso-Zanshin bonus. Main focus here is getting to 100% TP as quick as you can without going too far over. 100% is better than 102% because that extra sTP can go towards some other stat, Acc/Att if nothing else.

    WS phase - This is all about making your WS as tough as possible. This makes up for your lack of ATT in your previous 4-5 hits it took to get to this point. Stack STR, ATT, WS modifiers (Elemental belt/gorget/Phorcys Korazin), TP bonus. All of these make that WS as strong as can be. Then you swap back to TP to do it all again in 4-5 swings.
    I don't totally agree with the need to "true cap" haste before n-hit build,
    i'd sya: haste (near cap)>STP for hit build> cap haste> qa/ta/da
    + with caped magic haste buffs sam don't need to true cap gear haste with augmented hasso


    Samurai Archery - SAM/RNG is outdated and used for fun and procs when you don't have a RNG in VW. Once you get Yoichinoyumi though, archery makes its return. Amano+Yoichi is a force to be reckoned with because /RNG isn't required. /WAR is completely acceptable!
    another bad point with bow sam is the total lack of decent bow other than yoichi. Apex arrow could have some situational use but low dmg bow/arrow+ lack of good AGI/rangestat for sam make it reallu subpar
    (1)

  6. #16
    Player airsparrowhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Whence the wind blows
    Posts
    46
    Character
    Katairyu
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamoa View Post
    Okay, first of all I have to say this: do your CoP missions if you haven't already and get that Rajas Ring and a Brutal Earring, please!


    As for your tp set, here are my suggestions:

    Weapon: lose the Futsuno Mitama, it's too weak now. Get a Kikugosaku at the very least (drops from Orthrus), or if you want to make an effort, make the TP bonus magian GK.

    Grip: Pole Grip or Rose Strap (depending on if you need the store TP or not).

    Ammo: Hagneia Stone for the store TP if necessary. If not I'd stick to Thew Bomblet for tp aswell.

    Head: fine as is.

    Neck: best option is Ganesha's Mala, you should really do VWNM fights! Unkai Nodowa is another option. Anything with some accuracy (and attack) works really, just get an up-to-date piece of gear.

    Ear: Brutal Earring! Otherwise Unkai Mimikazari, I guess Kemas Earring is ok-ish, or an attack earring (NQ Ghillie Earring is dirt cheap and offers some accuracy as well as attack).

    Body: Unkai Domaru +2.

    Hands: Brego Gloves (cheap now), or Karieyh Moufles (free).

    Rings: Rajas Ring! Mars Ring as 2nd ring, they are getting cheap now. Or any ring with accuracy and attack, I have to admit I'm not sure of what might have been added fairly recently that works here, just like with neck armour.

    Back: Atheling Mantle, also from Orthrus - 100% drop rate.

    Waist: get some help with Ovni for a Bullwhip Belt.

    Legs: fine as is.

    Feet: Ace's Leggings from Itzpapalotl offers 1% more haste.


    This tp set makes you overshoot on TP for a 5 hit build, but it pretty much allows you to ws in anything without worrying about losing your hit build. It also has 24% haste.



    Ws set:

    Ammo: fine as is.

    Head: Varangian works I suppose, it's a little outdated but yeah, shouldn't be the first of your priorities.

    Neck: elemental gorgets!

    Ear: Brutal Earring and a str earring - the NQ version of the level 86 str earring doesn't cost a whole lot. Or Kemas, I suppose.

    Body: Twilight Mail? Ace's Mail?

    Hands: Mustela Gloves are pretty decent.

    Rings: 2 str rings, or a str ring and Rajas Ring (if you want to save gil and an inventory slot, the store TP on Rajas isn't needed here though)

    Back: Atheling Mantle.

    Waist: elemental belt!

    Legs: Same as you tp in, or better yet, Karieyh Brayettes.

    Feet: Unkai Sune-Ate +2 or Karieyh Sollerets.


    Bear in mind, these are makeshift sets that I put together in a hurry (have to go out soon!), there might be some better (cheap or free) options for some slots that I haven't thought of.


    I couldn't help but notice this part of your ffxiah post:



    Gear haste and magic haste is NOT the same, and they stack. To help you understand the importance of haste, let me direct you to this thread, which explains it better and more detailed than what I can: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/th...e-misinformed.

    And by all means, the gear I have listed is far from optimal (aside from a few pieces). I have just tried to put together something that's better than what you currently have and is either cheap or free.







    PS: Btw you cannot under ANY circumstance swap weapons around without losing all your tp. ; ;
    Thank you so much for your posts, they've been really helpful. I've been chatting with the nice people on FFXIAH and I learnt about weapon switching = lost TP already too. xD

    I'll definitely have to use this thread as a reference in future, I'll likely start putting together another build very soon with a lot of stacked WS Modifier Attributes and Multi-Hits. :3
    (0)
    ~ I am the clear blue sky ~

  7. #17
    Player Reaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    34
    Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I typically use Kikugosaku + 4 hit build and ride hasso if taking damage isn't too big an issue, but I just like to see the double zanshin go off xP getting 133~ tp occasionally in a single attack round is fun but idk about the practicality, my tp and ws sets still need some work
    in case people are curious 133~tp comes from 25~ tp normal hit, then 2 54~tp zanshin hits, doesnt happen all to often but enough for me to keep using it xP
    (0)

  8. #18
    Player hiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by hiko View Post
    another bad point with bow sam is the total lack of decent bow other than yoichi. Apex arrow could have some situational use but low dmg bow/arrow+ lack of good AGI/rangestat for sam make it reallu subpar
    quoting myself but this is no longer true :

    imo still < yoichi99 (agi VS str/agi mod+ WS dmg bonus)
    (0)

  9. #19
    Player Delvish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Bastok Rank 10
    Posts
    338
    Character
    Delvish
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    SCH Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by hiko View Post
    quoting myself but this is no longer true :

    imo still < yoichi99 (agi VS str/agi mod+ WS dmg bonus)
    Yea I saw this bow and had to think about it for a second. It is most definitely very pretty, but that is about it. Really it is just our good ol' Shigeto Bow reincarnated with higher DMG rating. Funny part is Shigeto had more RATT...

    Unless SE goes through with RMEC WS unlock idea, that is all this bow will amount to as Apex Arrow is AGI. SAM just doesn't have the gear selection to stack AGI as it does STR for Namas. Refulgent Arrow is of course another option with a slight STR modifier, but requires /RNG.
    (0)
    Samurai Archery is said to be a thing of the past, but it isn't dead yet!

  10. #20
    Player hiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    774
    Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99
    str is still usefull for apex (ranged fstr, RAtt)
    as for shigeto having more ratt, all plasm item, weapon included, are augmentable
    (0)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast