Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    You could say that they should design content that can be beaten without REMs, but the fact is that most of the current stuff in the game CAN be beaten without REMs
    I've never seen a shout requiring REMs either

I would rather the "unwanted jobs" be improved and be wanted because they're good at something, not because they are specifically designated to be on deck for a particular fight. A few thoughts on issues

DRG- Well, i personally don't see any big issues with DRG, but they keep spending DRG adjustments on tweaking the wyvern in various ways that don't really help anybody. If it doesn't make the wyvern or the DRG actually stronger, it's not really helping much.
    PUP- PUP has come a long way but one of the major issues holding it back is nearly unfixable without a major redesign: Job ability delay. PUP has to spam more job abilities than anyone, and this drastically reduce's the jobs DPS if the abilities are used- but not using them ALSO hurts DPS.
    DNC: Three words, shared recast timers. Also recast time for flourish 3s is way too long
    SMN: Three words, blood pact timer. OH yay, we get to temporarily solve this issue once per hour with a new SP ability! yay!
    THF: Has issues but I don't really know much about THF nor how to solve its issues
    (4)

Character
    Mefuki
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Caketime View Post
    ...as soon as a full party comes into play people want to just throw more WARs at it and refuse to listen to any alternatives.
    In addition to the points you made, SE has been further compounding the problem by making all endgame events timed. It discourages experimentation and highly encourages very specific job usage (regardless if people actually want to play that job) and zerg tactics.
    (1)

Character
    Yru
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Think of it this way. In FF Tactics you tend to use a certain group of characters for their effectiveness in battle. Even if your whole party is at level cap, you find only certain members useful. Think of how left out those other characters would feel if they could.

In Tactics, you bring a THF in because you want items from a boss, but thereafter might switch him to DRG for more damage. You might also bring in a SMN to cast Golem on the party for stoneskin if the enemy uses mostly melee hits, but would otherwise leave them out or have them on a different job.

In FFX I rarely used Lulu. Shes a great BLM early on, but when you get to the point where the only differences between characters are their overdrives and weapon bonuses, her overdrive just doesn't cut it compared to Wakka's or Khimari's. With this in mind, no wonder she's so broody: she doesn't get enough exercise.

Party leaders in MMOs have to make these same decisions. What jobs/subjobs are going to get the win faster, let alone get it at all? Fortunately I get whatever I need on WHM because it's rare that someone would turn down a healer.
    (0)

Character
    Anonymous
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    In FFT players tend to use the most efficient combination of abilities and then make like 8 copies of those across multiple characters so the actual jobs of those characters only dictate what the unit looks like, in the end the damage is the same. The problem in that game and this one is that there are some abilities that shit all over the other ones, so why would anyone waste their time with anything but the best possible combo? Why would you waste your time with the Summoner when you can invest in the Oracle or Samurai's ridiculously potent abilities?

The real issue here is that the game is hopelessly unbalanced and has been for a very long time. Adding new trinkets and novelty junk on top of already broken stuff isn't the answer either, it just creates a bigger mess. The fact that Embrava and PD were ever even considered to be added in the first place is amazing, but that was also after Doom auras, which are equally wtf. Why you would even add things like that to a game where you're forced to basically do nothing as "punishment" for death is beyond my comprehension. Add super weapons to this equation, which aren't actually needed but make the process of standing there and sighing heavily while your Elf beats on yet another reskinned NM named after a Mesopotamian demon that eats babies slightly faster, and the mess grows ever larger.
    (4)

Character
    Tahngarthor
    World
    Shiva
    Main Class
    SMN Lv 99
    Party leaders in MMOs have to make these same decisions. What jobs/subjobs are going to get the win faster, let alone get it at all? Fortunately I get whatever I need on WHM because it's rare that someone would turn down a healer.
    I don't usually make those kinds of decisions. I'll take anyone as long as the core composition (of roles, not specific jobs) is there. I don't care if it takes 2 minutes longer to win a 20 minute fight, I care about it being an enjoyable experience.
    (3)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    I don't usually make those kinds of decisions. I'll take anyone as long as the core composition (of roles, not specific jobs) is there. I don't care if it takes 2 minutes longer to win a 20 minute fight, I care about it being an enjoyable experience.
    Besides Odin2, there are no 20 min fight in this game atm I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Alhanelem View Post
    THF: Has issues but I don't really know much about THF nor how to solve its issues
    THF is just fine.
    (0)

Character
    Calatilla
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Besides Odin2, there are no 20 min fight in this game atm I think.

THF is just fine.
    No it isnt
    (3)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Calatilla View Post
    No it isnt
    QFT

Best solution to THF is to remove Treasure Hunter altogether, increase drop rate globally and focus on THF's role as a DD (While fixing all other 1H DDs while you're at it).

If TH has to exist, don't make that basically the only reason THF exists.
    (3)

Character
    Zirael
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Kincard View Post
    [...]

You could say that they should design content that can be beaten without REMs, but the fact is that most of the current stuff in the game CAN be beaten without REMs, it's just that nobody wants to because they can find someone who does have one just spending a couple extra minutes looking.
    In the past (just after Legion was released) SE said that they design ALL content to be beatable without special weapons (R/E/M), but after the new producer came here and started all that talk about certain people shouldn't be beating ADL/Legion/Odin2 etc. because their gear is too weak, I'm not sure if they will continue that design approach.
    (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankWustler View Post
    The Developer smiled and replied, "During the worst times, I was riding on your back and whipping you with a stick and laughing."
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    [...]-Dipper Yuly, Faithful Falcorr
    ※These pets will have a base of Treasure Hunter I, but by using equipment that has “Pet: Treasure Hunter +” the effect will become stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Okipuit View Post
    [...] There was no promise to create gear that would counter the reduction of treasure hunter on beastmaster pets Dipper Yuly and Faithful Falcorr.

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    ADL, Legion and Odin 2 are all perfectly beatable without REMs, it's just that for ADL you would probably need to bring more people to kill him within the PD time limit (Thus making it less worthwhile), Legion you'd farm less bosses per run (Arise/Meteor/Honors increase in price), and you'd need more people to beat Odin 2 in a timely manner.

When people say that things are "impossible", they really mean "it's impossible to continue beating them in the same way we do now". People beat ADL and Odin 2 with way fewer people than the player limit is allowed for them, and I suspect people exceeded their expectations in terms of how many Legion Bosses they are able to farm.

The worst problems would come from the case of ADL, where it would drive up the ridiculous costs of marrow even more.
    (2)
    Last edited by Kincard; 12-23-2012 at 08:52 PM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast