Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Unfortunately, what OP is asking for would simply become a SMN burn. The only way to make BLM useful is to make mobs with no -MDT, no MDB but very high (~300) resistance to all 8 elements. Thus making Meteor useful. Oh and stupid high def/-PDT so it doesn't just get spinning dive'd to death instead.
    (1)

Black Mage Subtle Sorcery Decreases enmity generated by magic and increases magic accuracy.

Iono what you mean about bringing blm back. I just want more -enmity. Most sch aren't aware they have that spell Animus Minuo(sch wtf ARE you doing when you're in a party with the mages, not procing, not /blm to stun the crap out of mobs, and not healing, sch/rdm in a party full of mages who get their mp from Voidwatch temps... why?)... or that thunderstorm and hailstorm NEED to be given to blm... I digress.

Legion hall of An is VERY Blm friendly as the turtle requires magical dmg and when the wyrm heads to the sky and... is not getting dmg other than ranged damage. Harpy is another good mob for magical dmg. We were doing alot of Rng for ranged dmg but I'll be putting Nares blm in place of them. It'll be a cold, rainy day in hell before a sch outdoes my blm in dmg or even comes close for that matter. Sch casts slow. Even with alacrity and my fast cast set.

Voidwatch... if you do nothing but proc spells on blm then you're doing it wrong. If you have only 2 blm, then yes, you'll be procing alot and will do less dmg. But I like to lead parties so in vw i normally have 1 sch and 2 blm or 3 blm. I normally only do provenance anyway. In provenance, if the battle is 10 mins or less, my blm averages 30-40k dmg. If the battle lasts 15-20 mins, meaning my dd's aren't as strong as they should be, i'll probably do50- 60k dmg, per fight, even while covering procs(granted i do split spells so that i cover agas/jas). Everytime.

Abyssea... my blm does 7500 blizz V, 8k Blizzaja to all non-magic resistant mobs. NM's even take up to 5k dmg. Only 4 spells that you need to try to proc the dang mob. That's about 20-30 seconds you need to do those. Why it would be just a proc job, is beyond me.

/sch for alacrity and storm spells. Twilight cape. Elemental Obis. At least Vourukasha I and Apamajas I. Fast cast set. USING Aquaveil, Stoneskin, Manawall, Manafont, and Enmity Douse. Hvergelmir and using those tp items in VW and Abyssea is great for your mp(you're not as serious a mage as you think you are if you don't have that staff that GIVES YOU MP without having to run within aoe range of the mob). Being an amazing tarutaru. Recipe for success. You're welcome.

No, it's not all about dmg. It's about being well rounded. Covering procs, staying alive even when you do need to pick up the dmg cause some of the dd have no business joining an endgame battle, stunning spells, kiting mobs. A good blm will do it all. Yes, the majority of you are simply proc blms. That's your own fault though :/

Blm is can actually good in NNI. Hvergelmir + Embrava = unlimited mp. When you can hit mobs for 2200-3000 from a 3 second cast...

Meteor needs to become worth the multiplication of blm. Dmg is just too weak to ever be useful. It's okay. It's only 1 spell out of many. We survived when comet was shown to be a weak spell. We'll survive meteor. #FFXIV Legacy

I've just never seen an impressive galka blm.

(1)
    Last edited by Miiyo; 12-31-2012 at 01:00 AM.
    Teh most famous/infamous Taru on Carbuncle!

Miiyo Taru | Sargantanas Final Fantasy X|V

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Damane View Post
    the problem is: unless there is a fix to the enmity system, I really doubt BLM would see a major come-back. Even if you would design a hardcore NM (and is dangerous) that can only be damaged by magic, people would rather use SMN to do the magical dmg, just because to have at least some form of enmity control instead of leting BLMs go loose.

If you want strategic fights you need to fix the fundamental core of the system: Enmity, its flawed and doesnt work at its current stage. Thats neither the Melees, PLD or BLMs fault. its design flaw of the System that needs an overhaul.
    Enmity system isn't biggest reason why BLM isn't used. Pure DD jobs like WAR DRK SAM MNK DRG is still used as main DD for everything even though they gains enmity faster than every other jobs.

If BLM wants to come back, it's output have to be on par with WAR DRK SAM MNK DRG, and that's it.
    (0)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Miiyo View Post
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]
    Legion hall of An is VERY Blm friendly as the turtle requires magical dmg and when the wyrm heads to the sky and... is not getting dmg other than ranged damage. Harpy is another good mob for magical dmg.
    Not really, An is completely clearable with regular melee+COR+SMN or a few RNG setup. A bunch of melees still have ability to zerg turtle to death with some assist from COR and SMNs.

However, adding BLM to pt needs job change mid run, since BLM isn't used in every other halls, while using COR SMN RNG for turtle/wyrm doesn't. So most of the time you'd better do An with regular setup to save the time and effort to job change mid run if you plan to do other halls. In the end it doesn't really make BLM a must have DD job.

Voidwatch... if you do nothing but proc spells on blm then you're doing it wrong. If you have only 2 blm, then yes, you'll be procing alot and will do less dmg. But I like to lead parties so in vw i normally have 1 sch and 2 blm or 3 blm. I normally only do provenance anyway. In provenance, if the battle is 10 mins or less, my blm averages 30-40k dmg. If the battle lasts 15-20 mins, meaning my dd's aren't as strong as they should be, i'll probably do50- 60k dmg, per fight, even while covering procs(granted i do split spells so that i cover agas/jas). Everytime.
    Do you mean each prov BC or all BC? If it's each BC, 10 min is too slow and wouldn't be a good reference to suggest 3 BLM over extra melee is good setup. A good prov BC run should end in 3~5 min each, and majority of DD can do over 60k in way shorter amount of time.
    (0)
    Last edited by Afania; 12-31-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Afania View Post
    Enmity system isn't biggest reason why BLM isn't used. Pure DD jobs like WAR DRK SAM MNK DRG is still used as main DD for everything even though they gains enmity faster than every other jobs.

If BLM wants to come back, it's output have to be on par with WAR DRK SAM MNK DRG, and that's it.
    What he meant is blm can take hate from those jobs and, instead of a blm damage dealer, becomes a tank.
    (1)

Not really, An is completely clearable with regular melee+COR+SMN or a few RNG setup. A bunch of melees still have ability to zerg turtle to death with some assist from COR and SMNs.

However, adding BLM to pt needs job change mid run, since BLM isn't used in every other halls, while using COR SMN RNG for turtle/wyrm doesn't. So most of the time you'd better do An with regular setup to save the time and effort to job change mid run if you plan to do other halls. In the end it doesn't really make BLM a must have DD job.
    Yes those are options, but "yes really," Hall of An is very blm friendly. That was the statement and the point to be made. After each run, you'll more than likely have to reset someone's 1hr neways, so i don't see why changing a job would be a hassle. Blm > the options you gave for An hall. My main point was to say blm can be useful in legion as this thread is saying it has lots it's usefulness. Mob by mob, Cor and rng have mobs they don't do the hottest dmg for as well. Yes, they do have more mobs they're effective on than blm, but that's besides the point.
    (1)
    Last edited by Miiyo; 12-31-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    What he meant is blm can take hate from those jobs and, instead of a blm damage dealer, becomes a tank.
    That's really irrelevant considering many endgame stuff are PD zerged. If BLM can deal as much dmg as DRK WAR MNK DRG SAM, you can just put BLM in DD pt and PD zerg legion NMs.
    (0)

That's really irrelevant considering many endgame stuff are PD zerged. If BLM can deal as much dmg as DRK WAR MNK DRG SAM, you can just put BLM in DD pt and PD zerg legion NMs.
    Yeah. You PD zerg bosses, but most endgame stuff isn't just bosses. Thread wasn't about just bosses.
    (1)

Character
    Zerichtwo
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Yeah. You PD zerg bosses, but most endgame stuff isn't just bosses. Thread wasn't about just bosses.
    Why bring a BLM when you can have SMNs that buff the melees while they're on another mob and have a pet tank for them while killing the turtle?
    (1)

Blm kill faster. Smn pets aren't really the strongest and if they're not the main source of dmg on turtle. If they are it'll be a long fight. There's only 2-3 smn in the group i'm speaking about. Rng/Cor/Blm will be the ones with main hate. By doing that mob can be zerged from behind by dds. DD's main fighting in front will lead to death if they get hate. I'm just saying blm does it best out of those 3.

"Pet tank for them while killing the turtle." Pretty sure dd's should be able to get hate from turtle pretty fast if pets have the most hate. Not to mention pets die relatively quick from getting stomped on and dd's supplying tp for mob.
    (2)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast