Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Character
    Rooks
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99

Thief's Knife upgrades

Currently, thieves are faced with a choice: use two strong daggers and contribute to damage output, or use the Thief's Knife and raise the chance of receiving treasure.

It would be fairly straightforward to add a short series of trials via Trial of the Magians to let them upgrade their Thief's Knife, so that their damage does not suffer needlessly.

- Using TotM means the weapon can keep the same name, so they can't be dual-wielded (and thieves with a Mandau/Twashtar/Vajra don't have to ignore it).
    - Gives thieves a stronger job specific weapon that focuses on one of the values they bring, that would be straightforward to obtain.
    - Would be simple to implement in terms of developer time.
    - Could even allow for Treasure Hunter +2 at the end of the path, to give thieves an upgrade.

Thoughts?
    (10)

Player
    Or just make an additional trial to the elemental paths and have the trial to be to turn in some items like a TH knife itself, and it adds TH1 to that dagger. You like your STR+11 Attack+22 Dagger? Trial 9576 is trade 1 Thief's Knife and boom, now it has TH+1 on it!
    (4)

Character
    Rooks
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon6324236 View Post
    Or just make an additional trial to the elemental paths and have the trial to be to turn in some items like a TH knife itself, and it adds TH1 to that dagger. You like your STR+11 Attack+22 Dagger? Trial 9576 is trade 1 Thief's Knife and boom, now it has TH+1 on it!
    While it would yield a significantly stronger weapon, the two issues with this are:

- Probably more developer time/effort, and with an expansion on the horizon we should want minimal distractions.
    - One of the big complaints thieves have is having to use a low damage knife for drops, instead of Mandau, etc. This would just mean they'd be asked to dual wield TH knives, making a relic/empyrean/mythic less valuable.

Not a bad suggestion, just probably not the direction we want.

(Also, what do you do with non-thieves that can use magian daggers? Give dancers access to lots of TH?)
    (1)

Character
    Kylos
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    I very highly agree with this idea, and was about to post it myself.

Thief Knife should be upgraded. It is a very old dagger now, one that has full-timed itself in the off-hand for many years. I would much prefer that the Thief's Knife is upgraded, then bringing in any new form of dagger, because then players would simply dual wield both TH daggers.

Thief's Knife > Thief's Knife +1 > Thief's Knife +2 > Thief's Knife +3 > Level 99 Knife

It would be good to increase Treasure Hunter by doing this (At least by one more level), as well as giving a much better DPS, close to the damage of a STR Thokcha or Aluh Jambiya, but not as good as a Mandau or Twashtar.

Some ideas for what the level 99 Thief Knife could be called:-

-Robber's Knife
    -Crooks Knife
    -Pickpocket Knife
    -Rogue's Knife (Like a new Artifact, it would not take anything away from Marauder's)

Not only this, but Thief needs a complete overhaul on how it is used in today's game, but I will post a different thread for that.

There is one problem with this. If the Thief's Knife is upgraded to another name (even as a +1), players would be able to get two TH daggers. There would need to be a restriction put in place to not allow dual wielding of Thief's knives.

The last idea I have for the Thief's Knife, is that the NM Sozu Ragberry, drops a level 99 Thief's Knife with higher stats. It would not need anymore Treasure Hunter, it would just need more damage, the delay is fine already. The NM would not need to be altered in any form. I don't see any issue with just changing the actual item and what the NM drops.

The Thief's Knife everyone already has would need to be upgraded automatically, so no one can have two separate TH Knives.
    (2)
    Last edited by Kylos; 12-19-2012 at 10:00 AM.

Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Rooks View Post
    While it would yield a significantly stronger weapon, the two issues with this are:

- Probably more developer time/effort, and with an expansion on the horizon we should want minimal distractions.
    - One of the big complaints thieves have is having to use a low damage knife for drops, instead of Mandau, etc. This would just mean they'd be asked to dual wield TH knives, making a relic/empyrean/mythic less valuable.
    Admittedly a valid flaw, dualwielding them would create quite the problem, unless they added a rare tag to the TH version of it, in which case you would be limited to 1 across all elements, a fair trade in my opinion.
    (Also, what do you do with non-thieves that can use magian daggers? Give dancers access to lots of TH?)
    BRD would be more of a threat than DNC in TH numbers, DNC has no TH access atm without a sub, BRD does in the form of a Taru Sash, so they could potentially hit TH2 without sub, 4 with. DNC would be limited to 3 at most, and in either case this can all be avoided instantly if the trial adding TH is made a new weapon, following the idea of a rare tag, also make the weapon a unique weapon with it being THF only, and have a warning in game just like when upgrading weapons that move up in levels on the next form. That way only THF gets access, and only 1 can be had so that its not creating the dual wield problem, if nothing else it can even be a Thief's Knife too, just have 1 augment part be a +DMG like with alot of other low DMG based weapons and you will be good to go!
    (2)

Character
    Kylos
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Making an augment system like Abyssea Dominion Notes npcs, but with some other type of currency could work.

You could have a set chance of getting a certain amount of DMG+ and extra stats like STR, DEX, Attack, Accuracy, HP, and maybe even Treasure Hunter +1. The dagger could still be called Thief's Knife, but converted to Aug/Rare/Ex so you can't trade or sell these augmented weapons.
    (0)
    Last edited by Kylos; 12-19-2012 at 02:48 PM.

I think you guys are making things more complicated that necessary.

Take the current Thief's Knife, slap a trial on it, keep the name so that you can't have several TH knives, increase damage and level.
    (11)

Character
    Rooks
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

Take the current Thief's Knife, slap a trial on it, keep the name so that you can't have several TH knives, increase damage and level.
    Yeah. It's low hanging fruit for the developers this way, which means it's more likely to actually happen.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post

That's the only of the suggestion solutions that would actually help this extremely minor problem. I still couldn't care less, though.
    (0)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Placebo Hunter +1.
    (3)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast