Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Character
    Warusha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99

Magic Damage is Weak

I want to be able to deal more magic damage while on BLM than I currently am able. Even with the same amount of support as any other 2 handed weapon wielding job I cannot come anywhere as close to dealing the same amount of damage. I wouldn't mind if I had to deal less damage all at once, if I were able to deal more magic damage over time. Even if I try to get into close combat to deal damage with a staff in addition to damage with magic I cannot even come close to WAR DRK DRG MNK on account of my abysmal weaponskill repertoire. BLM simply isn't fun the way it used to be, and that's not because my preferences have changed.

Another problem I have is that mage gear is really bad compared to melee gear. The amount of status resistance, damage taken, and haste gear is just atrocious. I also think it's silly that on the Ares' Cuirass +1 they have say STR +16 VIT +16 Attack +6%. Meanwhile morrigan's robe +1 gets INT +12 MND +12 STR +12 and a static amount of magic attack +13. Is it really so game breaking to add Magic attack +6%? Gear that clearly favors heavy melee and support abilities that do more for melee damage than magic damage is upsetting to someone who wants to cast big fire balls and devastating thunderstorms etc.
    (27)

Character
    Infidi
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    What gear set are you using for nuking in? I get consistent damage outside of abyssea(I'm too lazy ATM to get a MACC set or fast cast set) and a crap ton inside abyssea with the right atmas. In assuming you're meaning outside. ^^ Neo Nyzule offers the best nuking gear I've seen so far.
    (0)

And with that gear, how much damage can you deal over the course of 10 minutes, compared to a melee DD in the same time?
    (15)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tptn937 View Post
    Another problem I have is that mage gear is really bad compared to melee gear.
    Don't forget Mage Food. A bit of hMP, Max MP, and +10 of INT or MND isn't exactly gonna cut it compared to 150 Attack!
    (22)

I wholeheartedly agree.
    (10)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Infidi View Post
    What gear set are you using for nuking in? I get consistent damage outside of abyssea(I'm too lazy ATM to get a MACC set or fast cast set) and a crap ton inside abyssea with the right atmas. In assuming you're meaning outside. ^^ Neo Nyzule offers the best nuking gear I've seen so far.
    It is not related to gear at all. The damage potential of a melee compared to a mage, even with absolutely perfect gear is horribly biased in favor of the melee. Even while they have MP they can't get anywhere near what melees do, and once they run out they're out of the game entirely. A bump up in this regard would be nice, especially considering MP cost and recast time.
    (17)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

-edit-
    I have recently been informed that I was wrong about recast caps.

In either case, if mages are to rely on nukes as their sole form of damage, they should generally deal significantly more damage than a melee's WSes, seeing as the melee both autoattacks and performs WSes, while the mage only nukes, and also has to worry about MP costs.
    (9)
    Last edited by Mirage; 12-18-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Character
    Infidi
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    It is not related to gear at all. The damage potential of a melee compared to a mage, even with absolutely perfect gear is horribly biased in favor of the melee. Even while they have MP they can't get anywhere near what melees do, and once they run out they're out of the game entirely. A bump up in this regard would be nice, especially considering MP cost and recast time.
    It's related in the sense of a naked BLM/ vs one with OK gear/ vs one with best gear in terms of DMG potential. DD will always outclass a BLM in DoT. If you're comparing sheer "do as much DMG in a Zerg situation as possible" (pending they are under a spell that would negate them dying in 2 seconds like a DD would have under PD) they could Manafont, Nuke till dry, Convert, nuke till dry. It's not a usual scenario that would happen though. It's much more efficient to have DD do the "Zerg thing". Which why I was asking what gear OP has. It makes a difference if they don't have a good nuking set. Pumping out even lowball 2-3k (if mob isn't resistant) Blizzajas and Blizz Vs will get you dead fast. They would probably have to change hate issues first if they up BLM DoT. Or make spells cause less hate so can cast more Can cap hate fast spamming nukes. Unless you're playing the hate control game. Lol.
    (2)

Only thing they'd need to do to avoid blms taking hate would be to fix the current issue with hate capping. With that gone, a blm wouldn't be able to take hate from a melee if the melee dealt more damage than him, even if it was just barely
    (1)

Character
    Cowardlybabooon
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Yeah blm got boned when empy WSs showed up. And again with merit WSs. Trial staves weren't enough. I'll gladly play the hate game in exchange for a damage boost.
    (6)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast