Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Warusha
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrute View Post
    a good blm is still in top tier in DD's in any situation. full magian staves full nares (-the legs of course), a push down macro for sorcerer's ring, ect, ect. On the right day and with a sch with the right weather you can pump out huge numbers and go toe to toe with rag wars and rag drks. in Void watch mp should never be an issue, get all your temp key items. in abysea with the right atmas you should be a god.

I understand this thread is about making blm more powerful, I'm a career blm and am all for it, but 6% MAB is broken, that's a lot lol. If you are dead serious about blm you should at the very least strive for all the magian trial staves and full nares. If you have no life and want to be king of the blm's make the mythic blm staff lol.

And yes in Void watch you will need to proc, not just spam you're most potent spells, this is identical to any idiot with a rag spamming reso and going for procs.

The mori +1 body looks pretty name good, same with the feet. Would love to mix those in with the nares set and test everything out.

If you want my honest opinion of how blm can become more powerful, is if they fix the skillchain window. if a skill chain goes off, it should stay open and not immediately closed from another WS. this would make a lot of pieces such as magic burst damage gear relavent, and AND AND this fosters skill full play BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Do not have to increase magic bursting dmg because it is awsome because with the right gear and timing you can squeeze in 2 nukes easy 3 if you're good.

7k magic bursts on thunders day with thunders weather against Pil... done it, fun stuff.

getting an alliance to call out coordinate skillchains, never going to happen in VW lol.

I love blm, and wish I didn't have to make a mythic staff, maybe the new expansion will have new relic type weapons.
    Thanks for bringing this up Schrute. I have the Nares set, I have every mdmg ToM staff, I have every macc ToM staff, I have full nares, I have valkyrie's trews with augment(0/6 on akasha chaps with full TH11+, bonus to spoils), I have 3/5 spurrina pieces, I use a sorcerer's ring, I have capped PDT, MDT, all obis, all weather/day gear. I even have a melee set with capped haste. In short, I have almost every item in the game for BLM. I always lose parse to mythic DRK, DRG, SAM in voidwatch- but steamroll ANY other DD. I have capped fastcast and always proc my assigned spells. The problem isn't me, I am a career BLM and am currently working on mythic 5000/30000 and need only 50000 tokens for the other requirements. The problem is this polarizing event where mp is capped and the monster cannot interact with players because it is unable to move or perform actions.

Voidwatch is not endgame content folks. Legion is the new measuring stick, and half the monsters are immune or resistant to magic damage. In 30 minutes time there is a lot to expect out the alliance, and a mage oriented alliance isn't an option. When was the last time you saw an alliance of 3 PLD, 2 WHM, 2 SCH, 1 RDM, 2 BRD, 3 COR, 5 BLM demolishing monsters with nukes? This isn't even a problem with the enmity system. BRD and SCH offer -32 enmity to an alliance of mages with Foe Sirvante and Animus Minuo and BLM can easily fit the rest of the enmity pieces into their nuke set. The problem here is that monsters take almost no magic damage, even with capped haste on BLM, mp eventually becomes an issue with a relic bard, evokers roll, refresh II. Why don't all monsters have mp to aspir?? Why do half of the monsters take no magic damage?? Why is it that 2 BRDs offer capped haste, attack, and accuracy, reduced lethal damage to melee but only offer mages 32 INT(which decays), 21 mp/tic, and you still have to make a decision to either get capped haste or -22 enmity based on meriting options? (This is assuming 99 horn, harp).

I am tired of limited strategies that must include melee DDs to clear the hardest of content. I want to take an alliance of magical DDs and kill stuff that way. By taking an alliance of mages the fight becomes more dynamic IMO. I don't want to play a melee job where I just use the same WS over and over. In my opinion you should be able to clear content with zergs if you want, nuke fests, or even pet parties if they're all the best in the game and have a good strategy. I don't like being pigeon-holed into using SCH/BLM for every event (Edited forgot event) where monsters are able to attack back.

I must admit I was super surprised to see the enfeebling magic update. It was a huge step in the right direction. Sadly that wasn't completed for all aspects of the game. How many other mages can say they've slept a Cerberus in Legion Hall of Ki? Yeah, it's still hard to land, and no- I didn't have to use elemental seal. By making monsters immune to magical spells and abilities you cut off many strategies that could otherwise be attempted.

Thanks for deciding to try to attack my play style as the source behind my poor results, I like to brag about how much better I am than most mages. Sadly, not all mages can be expected to put in as much work as I. I don't expect to win any legion hall by myself either, so I suspect that the bar shouldn't be so high if I want to work as a team with other magical DDs.
    (10)
    Last edited by Tptn937; 12-20-2012 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Forgotten relevant word

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    I would love to in get contest of who can do better dmg of my blm and your thf, I've seen thfs out parse some of the best dd so i would love the challenge.
    No, you haven't.

Only using 2-3 staves is dumb if you are a career blm because you lose out on reaching you're full potential damage wise.
    Why? Name one mob for which you need full earth damage potential. I'll let Fire and Wind slide in horribly situational scenarios (in scenarios where you shouldn't be DDing in the first place), but that's about it.

As far as the myhic blm stave with enough mab gear with lvl 2 aftermath it beats out magian staves, after playing with a blm who has one and witnessed itself in action.
    Yes, with Lv2 Aftermath it would actually win. That's good for showing off, I admit, but that's where the usefulness ends. BLM can not maintain that Aftermath while still trying to deal damage, because casting invariably takes time away from meleeing. And without the Aftermath the boost by 60 MAB is not very interesting. Assuming 100 MAB (mRatio of 2.0), you'd gain a boost of 30%, which is 5% behind magian trial staves. And the more MAB gear SE releases, the less useful BLM mythic will become, while trial staves will always maintain their 35% damage boost, because it's applied after MAB.

Making a mythic, as you put it, sounds great on paper but you left out a lot. I consider myself a hardcore player, but there is a lot more hoops to jump through than getting the alexanderite. There's a lot of information on how long it would take just to get the assaults, tokens, and ampules done for the weapon ontop of farming dyna once a day and salvage once a day. unless you tri-box it or have 2 other friends that are willing to do salvage, assaults, and nyzule every day it's going to take longer. In other words i would suggest a hardcore player would prbly take 3 months to a year, a casual player would be a year and longer, but that's probably our difference in our definition of a casual or hardcore player.
    It's not, I agree, and even regarding that it's still doable within a year. It used to be a lot more difficult before the Einherjar adjustment, but now you can spam T3s daily if you wanted to, and get the necessary points in less than two months. I mentioned Dynamis in case you do not have three other people to spam Salvage with. If you can do both daily, I wouldn't call it casual playing anymore though, but that's just me. Assault statics are easier to build than you'd think, because interest in the Captain rank is still high (partly due to other people going after mythics) and take less than three hours off weekly. The only problem is killing the ToAU beastmen kings. But still, compared to the Alex requirements it's negligible. Killing them is not a problem, considering how many people are after them and you can team up with, only finding them up is. It's easier after a maintenance though.

I drill this, because this is something I would really love to see, have the magic burst window stay open and not close as soon as another weapon skill goes off. Even having multiple windows open for magic bursting would be ideal. Having DD's find skillchain partners, blm's waiting and watching intently for that magical moment and then start dropping bombs!
    While I would love to see that as well, waiting for a SC to go off will probably cost you more damage than you would gain from the magic burst. The only benefit would be in damage per MP output, but damage per time itself would drag. It would be nice to randomly see MB's go off though.

Also, spike damage is the worst kind of damage in the game, and always has been. If you can choose between consistent low damage versus sporadic high damage, the first will win in virtually all situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tptn937 View Post
    I always lose parse to mythic DRK, DRG, SAM in voidwatch- but steamroll ANY other DD.
    No, you don't.
    (2)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Schrute
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Thanks for bringing this up Schrute. I have the Nares set, I have every mdmg ToM staff, I have every macc ToM staff, I have full nares, I have valkyrie's trews with augment(0/6 on akasha chaps with full TH11+, bonus to spoils), I have 3/5 spurrina pieces, I use a sorcerer's ring, I have capped PDT, MDT, all obis, all weather/day gear. I even have a melee set with capped haste. In short, I have almost every item in the game for BLM. I always lose parse to mythic DRK, DRG, SAM in voidwatch- but steamroll ANY other DD. I have capped fastcast and always proc my assigned spells. The problem isn't me, I am a career BLM and am currently working on mythic 5000/30000 and need only 50000 tokens for the other requirements. The problem is this polarizing event where mp is capped and the monster cannot interact with players because it is unable to move or perform actions.

Voidwatch is not endgame content folks. Legion is the new measuring stick, and half the monsters are immune or resistant to magic damage. In 30 minutes time there is a lot to expect out the alliance, and a mage oriented alliance isn't an option. When was the last time you saw an alliance of 3 PLD, 2 WHM, 2 SCH, 1 RDM, 2 BRD, 3 COR, 5 BLM demolishing monsters with nukes? This isn't even a problem with the enmity system. BRD and SCH offer -32 enmity to an alliance of mages with Foe Sirvante and Animus Minuo and BLM can easily fit the rest of the enmity pieces into their nuke set. The problem here is that monsters take almost no magic damage, even with capped haste on BLM, mp eventually becomes an issue with a relic bard, evokers roll, refresh II. Why don't all monsters have mp to aspir?? Why do half of the monsters take no magic damage?? Why is it that 2 BRDs offer capped haste, attack, and accuracy, reduced lethal damage to melee but only offer mages 32 INT(which decays), 21 mp/tic, and you still have to make a decision to either get capped haste or -22 enmity based on meriting options? (This is assuming 99 horn, harp).

I am tired of limited strategies that must include melee DDs to clear the hardest of content. I want to take an alliance of magical DDs and kill stuff that way. By taking an alliance of mages the fight becomes more dynamic IMO. I don't want to play a melee job where I just use the same WS over and over. In my opinion you should be able to clear content with zergs if you want, nuke fests, or even pet parties if they're all the best in the game and have a good strategy. I don't like being pigeon-holed into using SCH/BLM for every event (Edited forgot event) where monsters are able to attack back.

I must admit I was super surprised to see the enfeebling magic update. It was a huge step in the right direction. Sadly that wasn't completed for all aspects of the game. How many other mages can say they've slept a Cerberus in Legion Hall of Ki? Yeah, it's still hard to land, and no- I didn't have to use elemental seal. By making monsters immune to magical spells and abilities you cut off many strategies that could otherwise be attempted.

Thanks for deciding to try to attack my play style as the source behind my poor results, I like to brag about how much better I am than most mages. Sadly, not all mages can be expected to put in as much work as I. I don't expect to win any legion hall by myself either, so I suspect that the bar shouldn't be so high if I want to work as a team with other magical DDs.
    Great to see a fellow blm back me up on how great blm can be if you put in the time to gear and play it properly. Always wanted to make a mythic for blm, might just set that to be my goal after i finish ukon 99 to go with my rag 99. I agree legion is not blm friendly at all nor is it crit ws friendly either.

You have more staves than my mythic blm friend lol and i find this most awesome. I agree with you, content shouldn't be designed around just melle. AOE etudes are nice but would love to see some MAB songs for the DD mages. MAB food was mentioned and is also a great idea. I would never expect a blm to outparse rag drk/war, relic/empy mnks, or mythic/relic/empy sams on their best day, but staying on their heals is an incredible accomplishment in terms of your skill and love of the job.

I wish this thread might get some attention from the producer and devs. A lot of great ideas
    (2)

Character
    Bigdave
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    do not forgot how crappy meteor is if cast solo. my theif out damages my blm in dot
    (1)

Player
    Meh, who cares about THF. Schrute just has a passion for this job. He wants to see it grow like other DD jobs. Hope SE listens to you, Schrute! (^.^)b
    (1)

Character
    Alkimi
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    BLM should never be able to deal as much damage as a pure DD, however they should be on par with jobs like Ranger, sacrificing damage for being out of AoE range.

I'd say increase direct damage spells by about 75%, reduce MP costs to around one third of what they are now, and increase the damage caused by DoT spells like Poison and Burn/Choke/Shock by about a factor of 10 (dependant on enfeebling/elemental skill).

Sounds extreme but BLM would still get out-damaged by pure melee DD like DRK/WAR/SAM. At least it would be a viable choice though.

Unfortunately the cripplingly broken enmity system is still a problem. They basically need to tear it up and start again, it's the worst in any MMO I've played.
    (3)

I also think it's silly that on the Ares' Cuirass +1 they have say STR +16 VIT +16 Attack +6%. Meanwhile morrigan's robe +1 gets INT +12 MND +12 STR +12 and a static amount of magic attack +13. Is it really so game breaking to add Magic attack +6%?
    I understand this thread is about making blm more powerful, I'm a career blm and am all for it, but 6% MAB is broken, that's a lot lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcon View Post
    6% MAB will increase a BLM's average damage by exactly 6%, which is absolutely nothing considering how little damage they're dealing right now.
    I'd like to address this issue based on what I can find on the Wikis:

Quote Originally Posted by both BG and clopedia
    Magic Attack Bonus / Magic Defense Bonus
    MAB is divided by MDB.
    MAB is as we know it (i.e. MAB I = 1.2, MAB II = 1.24 etc). Items with the description "Magic Atk. Bonus"+X means to add X/100 to the current MAB. For example, Moldavite Earring which states "Magic Atk. Bonus"+5 means to add 0.05. Correct element potency merits are +2 MAB per merit.
    MDB is 1.0 if not present and depends on the target of the magic.
    From what I can tell, INT doesn't add to the MAB stat that's used for the calculations (if it does it's not mentioned anywhere on the wiki pages), so therefore a BLM's MAB = 40 Base +gear. Therefore, for 6% MAB to beat 13 MAB, you need to have over 200 MAB total before the bonus% is applied. This means that unless you're using empy, it's unlikely that you're going to reach 160 MAB in gear, and even with empy, it's only viable for Meteor.

Better option would be more gear with affinity. Preferably base MAB and affinity in fact.
    (0)

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Babekeke View Post
    I'd like to address this issue based on what I can find on the Wikis:

From what I can tell, INT doesn't add to the MAB stat that's used for the calculations (if it does it's not mentioned anywhere on the wiki pages), so therefore a BLM's MAB = 40 Base +gear. Therefore, for 6% MAB to beat 13 MAB, you need to have over 200 MAB total before the bonus% is applied. This means that unless you're using empy, it's unlikely that you're going to reach 160 MAB in gear, and even with empy, it's only viable for Meteor.

Better option would be more gear with affinity. Preferably base MAB and affinity in fact.
    actually that's not quite correct, it only requires 117 MAB for 6% to be better than +13
    117 MAB is 2.17 multiplier(assuming no MDB) 13 more MAB would make it 2.3, while a 6% increase(x1.06) would result in 2.3002, slightly better, that being said affinity staffs would still be better as even the NQ lv 51 elemental staves offer+10%(x1.1) and the full damage magian staves are supposed to offer(I've heard differing amounts but most commonly) 35%(x1.35) which depending on your MAB before your staff can beat out even blm mythic (not on meteor obviously but) I believe at 164 MAB(before staff slot) they generate the same multiplier if you use elemental seal, if you don't use elemental seal magian beats mythic much earlier than that, as at 164 MAB its a multiplier of 2.64 the mythic adds 60, so 3.24 for mythic, elemental seal augment on it increase by 10%(last i checked which admittedly was awhile ago)so resulting multiplier of 3.564 which should be the same as 2.64x1.35 at least according to excel
    but I'm rambling now, sorry for straying from topic
    EDIT: I need to stop running on 37 hour days lol for some reason i thought they were talking about 6% MAB on a staff >.> my bad
    (0)
    Last edited by Reaper; 01-18-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    It actually depends on how "MAB" is calculated, exactly. One could assume, that with the word "Bonus" being in it, initial MAB is 0 and only adds onto the native magic attack, which happens to be 100. However, another interpretation would be that MAB describes the entire stat itself, meaning your MAB would then be 100 more. If there was MAB% gear, we could find out easily which is the case, but I don't think it exists so far, although I may just be uninformed on the subject.
    (1)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Thereaper
    World
    Sylph
    Main Class
    DRK Lv 99
    that's true, i based my calculations off as if it just added another multiplier to the calculation like affinity and weather, although they could do it another way, I don't readily know of any gear that specifically has MAB+% ether, but you are correct it would be easy to test
    (0)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast