Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Character
    Arbole
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    SAM Lv 95
    SE needs new content that has mobs highly resistant to physical damage. Back in the day, melee whiffed on Byakko, and did paltry damage to Genbu/Kirin, meanwhile mages were the main source of damage. Now, melee pretty much have acc cap on everything, and can pump out 3k+ WS consistently on most endgame enemies. On the mage side, many of these mobs resist magic damage like crazy.
    (10)

Character
    Siiri
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Black Mage is in almost as bad shape as red mage, it is just slightly more hidden because of the "proc" systems in VW and Abyssea. Scholar has replaced anything a black mage can do in newer endgame, and even that doesn't matter because who in their right mind even counts on magic damage anymore? Scholar just goes for stun lock. SE went way to far in ToAU with magic resistances.
    (9)

Character
    Kincard
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    NIN Lv 99
    Another problem with magic damage is that the nature of nuking doesn't really play nicely with the enmity system of XI. Big spikes in damage like those from big magic spells make monsters turn towards you even if you're not necessarily doing the most damage over time, it's just that you got a big hate spike from one spell. Once everyone hits the hate cap, it doesn't matter much -enmity you're stacking, you'll still pull hate with a big spell. I'm pretty sure a single full-powered meteor can cap hate. Enmity douse will only do so much since it's on a 10 minute timer.

It's a bigger problem when BLMs pull hate VS a melee DPS since like with ranger, a black mage pulling hate just makes it worse for everyone because it makes the monster run out of the melee's attack range and can potentially endanger other backliners (depending on the arena and how you place your characters, of course).
    (7)

612 wharf ave next to the gentlemen's club.
    Character
    Tyrantsyn
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Mage's could definitely benefit from some top end nuke food. Kind of odd after all this time there really isn't any to speak of.
    (9)

Character
    Ordoric
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    lol hows your elemental magic skill your int mab macc ? your affinity weather day your talikin aries and morgans what else are you checking?
    (0)
    I think players are broken
    90 whm 90 blm 87 sch 79 drk 75 pld 75 smn 68 sam.

I don't think you understand what this thread is about.
    (9)

612 wharf ave next to the gentlemen's club.
    Character
    Tyrantsyn
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    To my knowledge there's no class that has a Critical Hit Magic bonus In Job traits. Maybe it's a good time to throw it out there?
    Maybe something special for BLM and DRK?
    (2)

Character
    Schrute
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tptn937 View Post
    I want to be able to deal more magic damage while on BLM than I currently am able. Even with the same amount of support as any other 2 handed weapon wielding job I cannot come anywhere as close to dealing the same amount of damage. I wouldn't mind if I had to deal less damage all at once, if I were able to deal more magic damage over time. Even if I try to get into close combat to deal damage with a staff in addition to damage with magic I cannot even come close to WAR DRK DRG MNK on account of my abysmal weaponskill repertoire. BLM simply isn't fun the way it used to be, and that's not because my preferences have changed.

Another problem I have is that mage gear is really bad compared to melee gear. The amount of status resistance, damage taken, and haste gear is just atrocious. I also think it's silly that on the Ares' Cuirass +1 they have say STR +16 VIT +16 Attack +6%. Meanwhile morrigan's robe +1 gets INT +12 MND +12 STR +12 and a static amount of magic attack +13. Is it really so game breaking to add Magic attack +6%? Gear that clearly favors heavy melee and support abilities that do more for melee damage than magic damage is upsetting to someone who wants to cast big fire balls and devastating thunderstorms etc.
    a good blm is still in top tier in DD's in any situation. full magian staves full nares (-the legs of course), a push down macro for sorcerer's ring, ect, ect. On the right day and with a sch with the right weather you can pump out huge numbers and go toe to toe with rag wars and rag drks. in Void watch mp should never be an issue, get all your temp key items. in abysea with the right atmas you should be a god.

I understand this thread is about making blm more powerful, I'm a career blm and am all for it, but 6% MAB is broken, that's a lot lol. If you are dead serious about blm you should at the very least strive for all the magian trial staves and full nares. If you have no life and want to be king of the blm's make the mythic blm staff lol.

And yes in Void watch you will need to proc, not just spam you're most potent spells, this is identical to any idiot with a rag spamming reso and going for procs.

The mori +1 body looks pretty name good, same with the feet. Would love to mix those in with the nares set and test everything out.

If you want my honest opinion of how blm can become more powerful, is if they fix the skillchain window. if a skill chain goes off, it should stay open and not immediately closed from another WS. this would make a lot of pieces such as magic burst damage gear relavent, and AND AND this fosters skill full play BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Do not have to increase magic bursting dmg because it is awsome because with the right gear and timing you can squeeze in 2 nukes easy 3 if you're good.

7k magic bursts on thunders day with thunders weather against Pil... done it, fun stuff.

getting an alliance to call out coordinate skillchains, never going to happen in VW lol.

I love blm, and wish I didn't have to make a mythic staff, maybe the new expansion will have new relic type weapons.
    (0)

Character
    Arcon
    World
    Leviathan
    Main Class
    PLD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Schrute View Post
    a good blm is still in top tier in DD's in any situation. full magian staves full nares (-the legs of course), a push down macro for sorcerer's ring, ect, ect. On the right day and with a sch with the right weather you can pump out huge numbers and go toe to toe with rag wars and rag drks.
    That is wrong on every conceivable level. My THF will out damage your BLM in any given situation and THF sucks as a DD. I don't know of any melee at all that would lose to a BLM in dealing damage.

in Void watch mp should never be an issue, get all your temp key items. in abysea with the right atmas you should be a god.
    Also both completely wrong. You can run out of MP in Abyssea with no problems whatsoever, it's harder in Voidwatch but if you're screwed on procs it will still happen.

I understand this thread is about making blm more powerful, I'm a career blm and am all for it, but 6% MAB is broken, that's a lot lol.
    6% MAB will increase a BLM's average damage by exactly 6%, which is absolutely nothing considering how little damage they're dealing right now.

If you are dead serious about blm you should at the very least strive for all the magian trial staves and full nares. If you have no life and want to be king of the blm's make the mythic blm staff lol.
    Having all the magian trial staves is useless because you'll only ever need two or three, and not all of Nares is good for BLM. The BLM mythic is only good for Meteor, otherwise the magian staves blow it out of the water. And you don't need to give up your life to get it, it's about three relics worth, and three relics aren't that hard to get these days either. It's annoying and tedious, but casual players can get it within a year if they farm daily for 2h in either Dynamis or Salvage.

And yes in Void watch you will need to proc, not just spam you're most potent spells, this is identical to any idiot with a rag spamming reso and going for procs.
    Mages should be proccing, always, while melees should be DDing, most of the time. There are very good reasons for why this is done and has nothing to do with idiot Ragnarok owners, simply because a melee's DD potential is amazing compared to a BLM, and switching to a proc weapon to get a grellow weakness stagger will essentially disable the melee for all this time, which would net you less than it would cost you.
    (4)
    All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    FFXI: Leviathan > Arcon
    FFXIV: Selbina > Arcon Villiers

Character
    Schrute
    World
    Bismarck
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    I would love to in get contest of who can do better dmg of my blm and your thf, I've seen thfs out parse some of the best dd so i would love the challenge. Only using 2-3 staves is dumb if you are a career blm because you lose out on reaching you're full potential damage wise. As far as the myhic blm stave with enough mab gear with lvl 2 aftermath it beats out magian staves, after playing with a blm who has one and witnessed itself in action.

Making a mythic, as you put it, sounds great on paper but you left out a lot. I consider myself a hardcore player, but there is a lot more hoops to jump through than getting the alexanderite. There's a lot of information on how long it would take just to get the assaults, tokens, and ampules done for the weapon ontop of farming dyna once a day and salvage once a day. unless you tri-box it or have 2 other friends that are willing to do salvage, assaults, and nyzule every day it's going to take longer. In other words i would suggest a hardcore player would prbly take 3 months to a year, a casual player would be a year and longer, but that's probably our difference in our definition of a casual or hardcore player.

I mentioned parsers, I don't use one and never will but I do like looking at results from other people, and usually those people that do use them know their stuff and how to do the most damage. I've stated my opinion and my advice on blm and I do agree with some of you're points and I'm all for seeing blm's dmg output increase, but simply putting them as out of the game in the damage department is not the case.

If you don't want to take my advice by all means go BG forums and ffxiah forums. These forums are full of people who strive to optimize dmg output for any job, and lot would just be reverbage of what I just said. Even ffxi encyclopedia has the math formulas for dmg if you want to see how mythic blm staff out beats magian staves.

If you want more examples of why you should strive for every magian staff for blm, try seeing you're dmg of fire spells against uptala or wind spells against qilin. Having the staves for elements other than thunder and ice is a must if you want to boost your dmg. Or you can nuke in hq staves or just wait for thunder spell recast timers when you're fighting undead. This is just some examples, not all, but a great point at knowing the enemy's elemental weakness

I drill this, because this is something I would really love to see, have the magic burst window stay open and not close as soon as another weapon skill goes off. Even having multiple windows open for magic bursting would be ideal. Having DD's find skillchain partners, blm's waiting and watching intently for that magical moment and then start dropping bombs!
    (1)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast