Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23
    Character
    Kyqrieas
    World
    Odin
    Main Class
    DRG Lv 99
    Wrathwing nails have to come from somewhere and if you have a legion shell you wouldn't have to buy. I'm just bored and tbh this thread is entertaining. If people don't like salvage it doesn't bother me because I have my static and we enjoy it. I'm making Ares for my DRG simply because it looks amazing and the less people lotting the better. I still don't get peoples elitist nature in this game but hey, I've been amazed by things like that for years! Oh also I defended Ares+1 just cause I could, it could be on par with perle, that would really have screwed things up!! If there's anything to learn from this thread it's that SE don't make things better with every update, sometimes they can release new equipment that isn't the best, and people should get used to that because I see it happening a lot in the future especially with the new expansion. Anyways that's me done in this thread, not much fun left here anymore.
    (0)

Character
    Saevel
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaking View Post
    well depending on how much int and matt you have i think Akasha Chaps would fight for the best leg slot for sanguine blade int+13 and matt+6 is nasty with its i think dintx2 (could be wrong on this). and on req i would figure Thaumas boots and legs which the +2 str and +2mnd set effect would skew it a little more
    Akasha Chaps would be the best for Sang Blade (completely missed those).

For Req though I'd go with Morrigans +1. 14 Attack isn't going to compete with +6.8 WSC (after the bonus 2 from set bonus). Req having a -20% attack penalty doesn't change the effects of a 100% WSC, it simply means you need more attack before hitting diminishing returns.
    (0)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raelix
    Ragnarok's aftermath is only 5% crit rate, even with lv99, so there's almost no point in using Scourge, you just spam Resolution. Even then you become just a boring meathead DD.

Apoc with both Catastrophe and Entropy gives you crazy sustain of both HP and MP. With the Haste aftermath you can wear a ton of -PDT and solo almost any 75 content.
    Doing damage is for WAR's, DRK is about soloing 75 content yo.....

Character
    Yenecol
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Something else occurred to me... would we be as upset if neo-salvage had been released before neo-nyzul? The two will always be compared because they have a common link - tags. No one goes around comparing these two to say, Meebles. Now, the old paradigm was that Salvage was for the best of the best gear and Nyzul not. Now, there has been a paradigm shift but one that was not anticipated. In an RPG, you expect progression; villains get harder but your weapons and armor get better. Had SE released neo-salvage FIRST, perhaps the shift would not have been so jarring. But, instead, SE releases Neo-Salvage after Neo-Nyzul. So naturally, most people would expect that the later released content would have the better gear and traditionally Salvage had the better gear. Disappointment comes about when an expectation isn't met. Even if Salvage gear is ok and has a few really nice pieces, compared to Nyzul, I am disappointed.

I just hope SE learns from this and makes decent gear for Adoulin. If the gear from Adoulin is worse than or merely a side-grade to say, Abyssea, yes I will still play it for the storyline and the memories but will it be as enjoyable? No, of course not. Again, RPGs are about progression. A game like this is like a shark (not counting nurse sharks), it has to keep moving forward or it will die.
    (1)

Character
    Metaking
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    BLU Lv 99
    Personally i would rather se take some risk and make gear types that jobs generally don't get, i mean imagine if all of kers was like its gloves str att matt and maybe tack on some mnd and int and bam cloudspliter might not be so useless anymore, not to mention giving entorpy and req some new toys. Same for feas( dd gear for blm sch and rdm) and sigyn's( some of the best racc and ratt most of those jobs excluding rng can get) had all been like the gloves of said sets. I mean you give a job a magical weapon skill give them the gear to use there magical weapon skill. I mean we dont need a constant power creep when you can make gear that does things differently, and give jobs more options to get the job done.

ps: yes i know alot of the meat heads wont use the extra versatility and get mad when the circle block wont fit in the triangle slot
    (2)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaall View Post
    Wrathwing nails have to come from somewhere and if you have a legion shell you wouldn't have to buy
    Certainly depends on your lotting system. Even if you get it from your LS you’re still receiving a 25m item.

I'm just bored and tbh this thread is entertaining. If people don't like salvage it doesn't bother me because I have my static and we enjoy it. I'm making Ares for my DRG simply because it looks amazing and the less people lotting the better.
    There is nothing wrong with that. It’s your $12.95. If you enjoy the event then more power to you.

I still don't get peoples elitist nature in this game but hey, I've been amazed by things like that for years! Oh also I defended Ares+1 just cause I could, it could be on par with perle, that would really have screwed things up.
    I don’t get what you mean by elitist. It’s funny that you use that term because Salvage is actually very unfriendly toward casuals, as it highly encourages low-manning and multi-boxing.

If there's anything to learn from this thread it's that SE don't make things better with every update, sometimes they can release new equipment that isn't the best, and people should get used to that because I see it happening a lot in the future especially with the new expansion. Anyways that's me done in this thread, not much fun left here anymore.
    Yeah those times when an update would roll around and everything would be sidegrade or niche use were great. Not saying that about Salvage gear as a whole though, as there are many great pieces. Also, Matsui has said this:

"In regards to item stats, this is a crucial growth element as you cannot level up past level 99. It's necessary to release items with stronger and really good stats in the future."

So I think just the opposite. I think the expansion will bring in a lot of better gear and we will complain that all our hard work has been invalidated.
    (1)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yenecol View Post
    Something else occurred to me... would we be as upset if neo-salvage had been released before neo-nyzul? The two will always be compared because they have a common link - tags. No one goes around comparing these two to say, Meebles. Now, the old paradigm was that Salvage was for the best of the best gear and Nyzul not. Now, there has been a paradigm shift but one that was not anticipated. In an RPG, you expect progression; villains get harder but your weapons and armor get better. Had SE released neo-salvage FIRST, perhaps the shift would not have been so jarring. But, instead, SE releases Neo-Salvage after Neo-Nyzul. So naturally, most people would expect that the later released content would have the better gear and traditionally Salvage had the better gear. Disappointment comes about when an expectation isn't met. Even if Salvage gear is ok and has a few really nice pieces, compared to Nyzul, I am disappointed.

I just hope SE learns from this and makes decent gear for Adoulin. If the gear from Adoulin is worse than or merely a side-grade to say, Abyssea, yes I will still play it for the storyline and the memories but will it be as enjoyable? No, of course not. Again, RPGs are about progression. A game like this is like a shark (not counting nurse sharks), it has to keep moving forward or it will die.
    The perception of Salvage gear is definitely affected by the quality of Nyzul gear. But I think too that as Jaall said, people have always assumed Salvage gear would trump Nyzul gear like at 75. So in that sense it would have had to be significantly better to meet peoples' expectations. That's how I felt anyway.
    (2)

Character
    Sylow
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Neo-Nyzul was our first LV99 comprehensive gearing solution. Our last comprehensive gearing solution before it was AF3+2. It was comparatively amazing because there were 10+ levels between it and all the sets that came before it. Complete obsoleting of same-level gear is rare in FFXI terms, the development team tending to partial replacement / situationalization. Future updates will continue to situationalize and potentially obsolete NNI gear, but it's not going to happen in one update.
    (1)

Character
    Afania
    World
    Bahamut
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 1
    Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    I don’t get what you mean by elitist. It’s funny that you use that term because Salvage is actually very unfriendly toward casuals, as it highly encourages low-manning and multi-boxing.
    Encourages low-manning and multi-boxing isn't unfriendly toward casuals, Abyssea also encourages low-manning and multi-boxing, but no player would think Abyssea is not friendly toward casuals.

Things like legion that requires set schedule, specific set up and gears are unfriendly toward casuals, not Salvage2.
    (7)

Character
    Philemon
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    BRD Lv 99
    Legion is more unfriendly, I completely agree.

Now, I don't consider myself a casual player in any way, and I don't have any kind of personal stake because I'll grind my pieces out eventually. What I meant when I posted that earlier is the amount of plans you have to collect to complete a +1 piece is very high for a casual player, especially if it's played "as intended (someone else's term, not mine)" with a handful of other players and not multi-box. Since you're limited to 1 permit per day and the event is 2 hours, it's a pretty significant time commitment for the type of player I would consider casual. It could easily take months to complete a single piece. That's what I was trying to get out there.

Maybe I'm all alone on this one; fewer people than I expected are complaining about the number of plans you need. Also, compared to other events, maybe people have a different expectation than I do.
    (2)

Character
    Yenecol
    World
    Siren
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by detlef View Post
    Legion is more unfriendly, I completely agree.

Now, I don't consider myself a casual player in any way, and I don't have any kind of personal stake because I'll grind my pieces out eventually. What I meant when I posted that earlier is the amount of plans you have to collect to complete a +1 piece is very high for a casual player, especially if it's played "as intended (someone else's term, not mine)" with a handful of other players and not multi-box. Since you're limited to 1 permit per day and the event is 2 hours, it's a pretty significant time commitment for the type of player I would consider casual. It could easily take months to complete a single piece. That's what I was trying to get out there.

Maybe I'm all alone on this one; fewer people than I expected are complaining about the number of plans you need. Also, compared to other events, maybe people have a different expectation than I do.
    You want to know why more people aren't complaining? They looked at the gear, said, "meh," and decided to pretend this event doesn't even exist.

Some of gear is pretty decent but if I had made the original skadi cuirie with millions of gil, I would be infinitely more pissed than I am now given skadi cuirie+1 does not beat thaumas (as a TP piece, not talking about Dancing Edge). Hell, between the two, I actually prefer the sigyn due to the triple attack.
    (0)
    Last edited by Yenecol; 02-02-2013 at 06:35 AM.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23