Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Character
    Saricks
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    RDM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Yinnyth View Post
    I can offer hundreds of crappy solutions. Hell, I have offered hundreds of crappy solutions to various problems over the years. None of them got used. You want me to take a stab at fixing tanking in general? Enjoy my unrefined first draft:

First, the whole enmity system would need an overhaul. One possible solution would be to split Cumulative Enmity (CE) and Volatile Enmity (VE) into seperate categories for seperate actions. So there'd be melee damage CE and VE, ranged damage CE and VE, magic damage CE and VE, cures delivered CE and VE, buffs delivered CE and VE, debuffs delivered CE and VE, and assorted CE and VE, and possibly even more specific categories for more diversity in monster behavior (such as fire damage CE and VE, or waltz CE and VE). Various enemies would be given certain enmity habits. One might hate magical damage, so his magic CE and VE would grow at an accelerated rate, and decay slower. In this case, use melees to damage him and have your tank magic burst off SCs in addition to his normal tanking duties. This forces you to specialize your tank depending on the foe you face, so tanking is more diverse from situation to situation. It also gives you the ability to specialize your DDs so they pull less hate (if hate builds quickly for melee attacks, switch to ranged and magic attacks and let your tanks be the melees)
    Very nice...

The whole idea of splitting enmity into multiple fronts would most definitely change how players get hate. Having Melee/Magic/Other Would allow melee to cap out hate rather fast in it's category but not effect magic, Where as magic nuking would only affect nuking. Others would be outside directly affecting the target IE buffs and cures on someone who had hate (including yourself) would raise this. The enemy would base their hate target on the average or of the three or average divisible by two for all these combined right? If so this would allow PLD and a few others to tank better because they could boost enmity on multiple fronts allowing for a much larger variances of hate while making it harder to cap total average hate. Others would be limited if they only utilize just using one or two of the hate utilities.

Very very very nice that's fostering better play.

Now that I think about it I think there could be another way to fix enmity by altering it so as hate increases the ability gain it decreases exponentially so it's nearly impossible to ever cap hate unless you use tools or abilities that deliberately bypass this.

If SE wants to fix the AOE issues PLD must have a better way to create an AURA of protection that actually last, with a short recast. Something like boost every 15 seconds that stacks on others. This means the tank would need to work protect everyone else. If PLD is so powerful now then this aura effect could even transfer a portion of the damage to the tank. It would definitely give players a reason to put a real tank back into the party.
    (2)
    Last edited by Sarick; 12-19-2012 at 02:43 AM.
    Developers take notice when a post has a lot of likes. Please support your fellow posters if they make good suggestions or comments by clicking the like.

Character
    Rustic
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    THF Lv 99
    Honestly, you can put in forms of anti-zerg for mobs that can tolerate some punishment. Have mobs increase in their defenses when being hammered on- basically, every time the mob succeeds in a TP move, it also gains resistance to damage- the type and amount depending on how it took damage. If it's stunned, it gains (a lesser) amount of damage resistance, regardless of whether this interrupts a TP move or not.

Skillchains reduce the physical DR effect. Magic bursts reduce magic DR effect- the higher the skillchain level, the more physical DR removed, and the higher the skillchain a spell is MB'd off of, the more magic DR is peeled off the target along with it. Successfully landing enfeeblements reduces DR- depending on the spell and the Enfeebling skill of the caster. Spamming Dia won't do much to it's physical DR even with a top-notch debuffer, but landing an Addle with a high-level enfeeblement skill would chew huge chunks of magic DR away, or a Slow II physical DR. Skillchains and MB's ignore built up DR for the purposes of inflicting damage.

Voila, you've just curtailed zerging and given enfeeblement a new lease on life.
    (1)
    Old-time player, new-time character- Ragnarok server.

Hello!

Producer Akihiko Matsui responded to a couple of posts and I just wanted to share them with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Akihiko_Matsui View Post
    Good evening, Matsui here.

As always, I continue to appreciate the number of posts you're making, so I'd like to respond to a couple of them.

While I understand adjusting the macro system would be difficult, the fact that we still need to use multiple macros that only contain 6 lines to change gear has gone unchanged. Wouldn’t this be one element of fostering skillful play? Tanaka spoke about enhancing the game with a clickable UI, but if we still need to click on multiple macros each time we want to cast a spell or execute a WS, I don't think you can call this an enhancement. I'd appreciate it if you could take a look at this.
    While we mentioned that we had no intention of changing this in the macro thread awhile ago, I will have the development team take another look at this.

Please note that "take a look" doesn't mean it's a guarantee, so please don't get your hopes up; however, we will take a look into this considering the current and future conditions and inform you of any updates.

While I am happy when I am rewarded for playing well, even when I don't get a reward when I can't clear floor 100 of neo-Nyzul, I still enjoy it even when I feel the sting of defeat. I also think there is dramatic fun in the FINAL FANTASY series and fun interacting with other human beings in FINAL FANTASY XI.
    I'd like everyone to take "fostering skillful play" to also include being challenged with the process of strategically thinking even if you are not successful.

There are some aspects of the game that "fostering skillful play" cannot really describe, such as the fun of the story or the enjoyment of being involved in the community. I would like to continue to make FFXI and placing an importance on this kind of fun.

We have a lot of things we want to ask you, Matsui!
    So I propose you do a live stream with Mocchi!
    I'm not too good at speaking and I often get stuck on words.
    Oh, but then again, if Konishi or Emily were the emcee, I don't think I could refuse. ><

But jokes aside (though I'm half serious), I have been talking to Mocchi and saying it might be good to begin doing something like the FFXIV Letter from the Producer to start out with.

The recent version update had a lot for both hardcore players and casual players. I really like the direction since you’ve come back, Matsui.
    I'm very thankful for the kind words, but it wasn't I who conducted the version update, it was the entire development team that planned and selected the content.

As much of the staff is too busy to post on the forum, I am posting on all of their behalves.
    With that said, I will be sure to deliver the message to the development team.
    Thank you very much.
    (22)
    Devin "Camate" Casadey - Community Team

Character
    Mrkillface
    World
    Cerberus
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Camate View Post
    While we mentioned that we had no intention of changing this in the macro thread awhile ago, I will have the development team take another look at this.

Please note that "take a look" doesn't mean it's a guarantee, so please don't get your hopes up; however, we will take a look into this considering the current and future conditions and inform you of any updates.
    I would be interested to know what is behind this. Assuming that the developers are aware at this point that a huge percentage of the population already have access to unlimited lines in their macros...

Do they think it's just not worth developing because a suitable solution already exists (spellcast)? I would hope that if this is the case, they could at least copy / purchase spellcast to make it official.

Or do they just not think that enough people want it?

I certainly hope they aren't still burying their heads in the sand and pretending that spellcast isn't an issue (the download page says it has been downloaded almost 100,000 times).
    (12)

Character
    Zoop
    World
    Carbuncle
    Main Class
    BLM Lv 99
    o god please no clickable UI, if i wanted that crap i'de be playing 14
    (9)

Character
    Camiie
    World
    Fenrir
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99
    While I won't be so arrogant as to ask for a reply to any of my own points, it'd be nice if Matsui would reply to some comments from the NA thread.
    (16)

Character
    Cowardlybabooon
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    o god please no clickable UI, if i wanted that crap i'de be playing 14
    As long as you don't have to click it then I'm okay with that, but I simply don't see how anyone could play this game well if they are even touching their mouse for anything other than clicking a summoner's avatar in a crowd of dynamis goblins.

Regarding the macro lines thing, FrankReynolds above couldn't be more correct. It seems fairly clear that spellcast and windower scripts are tolerated or relatively undetectable by the special task force, and while there is already quite a bit of sharing of scripts that goes on in the underworlds of pastebin, it would really just be better if we could get an official statement that it is okay to use certain tools and we could really expand the quality of them (precedent: it didn't ruin World of Warcraft). SE obviously puts gear into the game that is intended to be macroed in for weaponskills or even specific weather effects, yet they act like people are using 4 macros for one gear swap. We are not saying that you have to be responsible for updating the program or tailoring your updates to avoid crashing windower, but you could just announce that you're not going to be banning people if they talk about it openly.
    (6)

Character
    Twille
    World
    Quetzalcoatl
    Main Class
    WAR Lv 99
    As long as I still have the option of using my gamepad with this new "clickable UI", i'll be ok.
    (1)

Character
    Jeral
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    I would just like to point out that some people are still desperately waiting for SE to fix the macroing system. It's not really relevant whether there are third party tools or not - not everyone can use third party tools, and not everyone WILL use them, even if they can. I don't want to turn this into a debate about such things, but please be aware that, even if a macroing fix would not directly benefit you, it has the potential to massively enhance many players' enjoyment of the game. Surely that is something positive?
    (8)

Character
    Prrsha
    World
    Phoenix
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 67
    Quote Originally Posted by Camiie View Post
    While I won't be so arrogant as to ask for a reply to any of my own points, it'd be nice if Matsui would reply to some comments from the NA thread.
    It takes time to translate. He's adressing both forums at once but there is a delay in the NA forums due to that. I am sure he will respond once he fully translates all of the posts here and then composes a response in english.

I've been hopping to the JP forums to post, I find it easier to read the posts there then to post in japanese however, but I try.
    (2)
    Fissssh! It's what's for dinner! :9

Prrroud founder of MithraPride on Phoenix 2004.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast