Character
    Zekky
    World
    Asura
    Main Class
    MNK Lv 99

Displaying range weapons

In all the years of playing XI I've always wondered why ranged weapons do not appear when they're equipped. FF XIV has them viewable without checking a character and XI's been out long enough that an update for such a feature would be nice.

Having a bow sheathed around the back of the character model or a gun hanging from a hilt like a gunslinger. And if people aren't fond of that concept being introduced, having a /displayrange off/on feature as well. It's one of those small things that I've seen XIV get but XI not receiving. Just like the appeal of any job showing off their weapons has been a reward in itself as well, a range job should be able to take pride in their weapon.
    (3)

Takes too much work for SE to put in. It's as simple as that. FF14 was built with that in mind from the very beginning of, it is much harder to add something like that in several years later.
    (0)

Player
    It is possible. Here are some examples taken from some in-game NPCs.

The development team would have to go through some hurdles to make this work properly for player characters. I'm sure it's one of the last things on their mind like the COP Rings update and planned weapon skill adjustments.

(0)

Character
    Thelaughingman
    World
    Valefor
    Main Class
    WHM Lv 99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanama View Post
    The development team would have to go through some hurdles to make this work properly for player characters. I'm sure it's one of the last things on their mind like the COP Rings update and planned weapon skill adjustments.
    Maybe one of the last things, but obviously the last thing on their minds is making Storage accessible from anywhere.
    (2)

These NPCs are specific models made with only one possible gear set. It is impossible to make any of those NPCs swap to any other weapon or armor without replacing the entire model. Player characters are entirely different, seeing as you can mix and match any piece of gear, and that's why NPCs displaying ranged weapons is in no way comparable to PCs doing it.
    (1)

Character
    Meuporg
    World
    Ragnarok
    Main Class
    BST Lv 99

they don't equip range weapon + staff

and wtf doest it do in test server thread?
    (0)

Character
    Byrth
    World
    Lakshmi
    Main Class
    DNC Lv 99
    Honestly, I have to imagine that ranged weapons being visible was part of SE's original intent, considering you blink when you change the ranged slot even though nothing about your character visibly changes.
    (2)

It's probably got to do with how the game can't change anything about a model without unloading and reloading the entire thing. If it didn't load the ranged weapon upon equipping it, you might end up blinking every time you performed a ranged attack instead.
    (0)